Recent Villages Burglaries

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2015, 11:37 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
You migh be right, but seriously where could you go that would be safer? The only place would possibly be the Midwest......some small town......but then you have snow, cold and really....nothing to do.
Sad but true. Don't like hearing about the number of break-ins we seem to be having lately.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
Isn't it kind of pathetic that we only have the appearance of being a gated community and yet we have to swipe the stupid little white cards or push a button to get in? Those gates aren't fooling anyone.
It's not only pathetic, it's expensive.
Our faux gates and faux guards cost us well over a million dollars a year.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:38 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Wow. That was completely dishonest.

On the other hand I've lived in several truly gated communities. Assessments for unexpected infrastructure repairs (roads, etc) can be very expensive. Even large gates (not poles) can be breeched. All said I'm happy to be here. I hope you will be also.
True enough. It is what it is.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Since TV is attracting such a lovely element here, might be time to move on
Are you kidding? There is this kind of crime (an sometimes much worse) anywhere where there is a large population. Most folks aren't aware that it is happening because they don't have a forum like this to inform them.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:11 PM
Platinum member
Default Robberies....sad, but true

February 18, 2015
A string of burglaries in The Villages is under investigation by the Sumter County Sheriffs Office.
In the past week, thieves have gained entry or attempted to gain entry to seven homes in The Villages.
In cases when they have broken into homes, they have made off with money and jewelry.
Anything they can stuff in their pockets, said Sgt. Robert Siemer of the sheriffs office. They arent after big-screen TVs.
The break-ins have occurred on the following dates and locations:
Wednesday, Feb. 11
Greenwich Place in the Village of Liberty Park
Moncks Court in the Village of Mallory Square
Anniston Drive in the Village of Bonnybrook
Monday, Feb. 16
Avalos Drive in the Village of Harmeswood of Belle Aire
Tuesday, Feb. 17
Barksdale Drive in the Village of St. James
Thompson Avenue in the Village of Caroline
Eastfield Path in the Village of Gilchrist (attempted break-in, entry was not gained.)
Entry was made through the rear of the house in all of the cases.
The break-ins have been happening in broad daylight. The earliest was at 9:45 a.m. The latest was 4 p.m.
Neighbors are asked to be extra vigilant and call law enforcement if they see any suspicious activity.
We would rather they pick up the phone and call us, rather than wish they had, Siemer said.
Extra patrols have been added in The Villages, he added.
He also urged Villagers to take advantage of the sheriffs free home inspection program. Through it, a member of the sheriffs office will visit a home and provide tips on securing the home. You can schedule an appointment by calling 689-4600.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:12 PM
Sage
The on-line news has a new article about seven break-ins or attempted break-ins that occurred over three different days. They all occurred during daylight hours, from 9:45am until 4:30pm. The various neighborhoods where these occurred are listed.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
The on-line news has a new article about seven break-ins or attempted break-ins that occurred over three different days. They all occurred during daylight hours, from 9:45am until 4:30pm. The various neighborhoods where these occurred are listed.
ONLY ONE south of 466A. So much for that theory.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
It's not only pathetic, it's expensive.

Our faux gates and faux guards cost us well over a million dollars a year.
But our faux gates and faux guards make it safer for our REAL golf carts.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
February 18, 2015
A string of burglaries in The Villages is under investigation by the Sumter County Sheriffs Office.
In the past week, thieves have gained entry or attempted to gain entry to seven homes in The Villages.
In cases when they have broken into homes, they have made off with money and jewelry.
Anything they can stuff in their pockets, said Sgt. Robert Siemer of the sheriffs office. They arent after big-screen TVs.
The break-ins have occurred on the following dates and locations:
Wednesday, Feb. 11
Greenwich Place in the Village of Liberty Park
Moncks Court in the Village of Mallory Square
Anniston Drive in the Village of Bonnybrook
Monday, Feb. 16
Avalos Drive in the Village of Harmeswood of Belle Aire
Tuesday, Feb. 17
Barksdale Drive in the Village of St. James
Thompson Avenue in the Village of Caroline
Eastfield Path in the Village of Gilchrist (attempted break-in, entry was not gained.)
Entry was made through the rear of the house in all of the cases.
The break-ins have been happening in broad daylight. The earliest was at 9:45 a.m. The latest was 4 p.m.
Neighbors are asked to be extra vigilant and call law enforcement if they see any suspicious activity.
We would rather they pick up the phone and call us, rather than wish they had, Siemer said.
Extra patrols have been added in The Villages, he added.
He also urged Villagers to take advantage of the sheriffs free home inspection program. Through it, a member of the sheriffs office will visit a home and provide tips on securing the home. You can schedule an appointment by calling 689-4600.
These are burglaries not robbery just to make it clear.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Since TV is attracting such a lovely element here, might be time to move on
The crime rate in TV is minuscule in comparison to your 3 previous residences (New York, Scottsdale and Orlando). In medium to large cities these kinds of crimes would never make the news outlets. Here we are lucky to have this kind of communication so that we can be aware of problems and react proactively such as neighborhood watch, alarm systems etc. Crime is everywhere and you can't move away from it. You can only do your best not to become a victim.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 02-18-2015, 03:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,369 Times in 2,397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
Yes Graciegirl i get your point and i do agree the sumter county does do a fairly good job but they have a lot of new and inexperienced officers that need more training.
I do understand that solicitors should not be arrested for soliciting, but a heads up for everyone that this can be a tactic for casing the area. have a nice day
Are they not getting the training? Why do you say they need more?
Old 02-18-2015, 03:10 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
I was told by one of my friends / neighbors, that there was also a break-in yesterday on Barksdale in St. James.
On February 4th, I received an email from one of my clients saying there was a break-in on Stepping Stone in Gilchrist. This was a week after the helicopter chase for the break-in the previous Wednesday in Gilchrist.
I then sent an email to all my clients south of 466A with details that were told to me, and to keep their eyes open for any suspicious activity. From that email, I had two other clients tell me of recent break-in in both Collier and Pinellas.
I don't read the local newspaper, although do check the other news website and have seen nothing reported on all these break-ins. A little disturbing. I am just telling you this to be sure you are all aware of these recent activities. It's prime time for robbers with everyone here.
Remember call 911 if you see ANYTHING out of the ordinary.
We had a break-in the other day in our village. They waited for the owner to leave the house and entered when she left. This was in broad daylight

some posters say its worse in other cities. My reaction to that is twofold: first I am not concerned about other cities I live here. secondly crime is rising greatly here despite what some folks say. any attempt to rationale this subject is of no benefit because we should have zero tolerance for this kind of stuff.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,369 Times in 2,397 Posts

Quote:
I absolutely agree with you. Unfortunately, my realtor led me to believe that we would be truly gated once construction was finished. Kind of disappointing.
What is that old saying about, due diligence?
Old 02-18-2015, 03:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
look into "bump proof" locks

A shotgun isn't a bad idea either
I like the Taurus Judge you don't have to be good only close
Old 02-18-2015, 03:18 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Gerryann: thank you so much for your informative post. Burglary or robbery aside people feel very violated and we do need to be very proactive and very conscious of our surroundings
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.