Recent Villages Burglaries

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2015, 03:21 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
What is your address, what is the asking price?
Gilchrist. $300k
Old 02-18-2015, 03:22 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
We had a break-in the other day in our village. They waited for the owner to leave the house and entered when she left. This was in broad daylight

some posters say its worse in other cities. My reaction to that is twofold: first I am not concerned about other cities I live here. secondly crime is rising greatly here despite what some folks say. any attempt to rationale this subject is of no benefit because we should have zero tolerance for this kind of stuff.
Amen !!!
Old 02-18-2015, 03:32 PM
Default Village of Charlotte break in

Last Wednesday, our house was burglarized sometime between 10:00 am and 1:00 pm. The thieves took cash and jewelry, no computers or credit cards (thankfully). I am new to The Villages and was shocked by this. I had felt very safe here until then.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:37 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,621 Times in 1,764 Posts

I find seven daylight burglaries/attempted burglary in the last week astonishing. Police are upping patrols.

The sheriff's office has a free home inspection program.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 02-18-2015, 03:56 PM
TOTV Moderator

Let's try to stay on the topic of the recent burglaries. There have been a number of off-topic and personally directed posts in this thread that had to be removed.

Posts from another similar thread have been merged into this one and thread title changed to be more descriptive.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:01 PM
Sage

Just an observation, when you go down any street what is the % of cars parked in the driveways?

My guess less than 3-5%

If I was casing the neighborhood looking for easy I would pick the homes with no cars parked outside.

there's a chance your not home, they can't see in a garage so the crook will case a house with no car in the driveway, no alarm sign a front door that is set back.

I always leave one car ourside
Old 02-18-2015, 04:04 PM
Veteran member

Here is a update from the folks that had the attempted break in and i removed address and name so they are not more violated.

A couple of people have asked me about the heavy duty thermal pane storm door we installed. We got it at Home Depot and they had ABC Construction out of Ocala do the installation. Since the preferred method of breaking into homes seems to be kicking in the front door latch and dead bolt, there’s no way someone could do that through the storm door which swings out.

Bob

Dear Bob,

We have been inundated with emails regarding the announcement yesterday of the attempted break-in at our home at Eastfield Path. If possible, we would like to respond to all of the 209/210 residents.

1. No, we were NOT at home during the attempted break-in; however, we were only away from our house for approximately two hours [between 6 - 8 p.m.].

2. Attempt is the key word. The front door jam was split vertically and the dead bolt and lock had been tampered with; however, no sign of entry was observed by law enforcement. Nothing was taken and nothing had been moved. Maybe Barley, our smiling Yorkie, scared them off.

3. No windows or screens were tampered with at all -- just the front door.

4. Law enforcement checked for fingerprints and routinely interviewed some of our immediate neighbors.

We are so grateful to live in a Community where everyone looks out for everyone else. The outpouring of concern and offers of assistance has been truly remarkable.

Thank you to all of our Gilchrist neighbors, Bart and Patti !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2015, 04:16 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts

Sooner or later they will be caught---hopefully---sooner rather than later. Many of the break-ins were daylight hours. Somebody will see them. They could choose the "wrong" house too.

Since the burglaries were in several locations, they had to be moving about in TV. Just hope no ones gets hurt.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

My FEELING on this is that it is one guy or one pair. There was nothing, no burglaries for quite some time, after they caught the last bunch... and then all of a sudden this, so I think it is not a lot of different people.

They must watch to see people leave and so if someone is parked somewhere...we should probably report them.

I think they will be caught...or worse. stopped in a very bad way, and we all know what that would be.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:38 PM

Bump
Old 02-18-2015, 05:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,149 Times in 2,248 Posts

I just installed some metal brackets to make it impossible to lift any of the sliders off their tracks, so they will need to make a lot more noise.....Researching no monthly cost alarm systems, that would call my cell phone, some of these allow monitoring to determine if it is a false alarm, and then you can call the police.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:11 PM
Sage

Google it, they are $5-$10 a month
Old 02-18-2015, 09:05 PM

@Graciegirl, I see you on just about every thread. It has piqued my curiousity. Do you work for TV or are you Talk of The Villages? I am new to all of this, hopefully...I think... soon to be a resident. One of the reasons we decided on TV was the safety factor, being able to lock and leave; now I am seeing that TV is probably no different than where we are moving from. Will have to alarm & camera install, just like present home. Depressing. Not that I place high value on the material things i have, I just don't like that feeling of knowing that someone has been in my home uninvited, going through it , and might know me on the street but I don't know him/her/them...not a good feeling, but one that I've known before.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
Well said Gracegirl:
But here is the truth and statistics:
The average thug or criminal is for the quick score and if he is using drugs and is living on the street the security alarms don't bother them much.
Think of it this way, what can you threaten them with if they get caught, but with 3 squares and a place to sleep with all their friends, if you get my point.
There are security systems that can have integrated app's on your smartphone to monitor every action of your security system including camera control depending on which one you have.
I have put in security systems for over 37 year privately and you can't stop criminals if they don't care of the outcome, so the less valuables in the house the better off you are and photocopy anyones id's that is going to enter your home and keep them for a record for the police if you have a break in, in the future so them may investigate if needed. Most break-ins are related to activities that happen in or around your home, i think you folks are getting the point. Stay Safe Folks.
The average thug or criminal is for the quick score and if he is using drugs and is living on the street the security alarms don't bother them much.

Don't you think a homeless person would be a red flag in a place like TV...I mean they aren't usually dressed in resort casual and drive a golf cart. I'm thinking that your second statement about workers is more helpful...great idea to shoot a photo of their photo ID and if they don't have one...do we want them on the job?
Old 02-18-2015, 09:12 PM
Sage

Gracie, does not work for TV.

If you're that worried name a place where there is zero crime.

I leave my doors unlocked sometimes, garage door open often, I never worried here.

Car unlocked, golf carts outside.

relax it's safe IMO

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.