Recent Villages Burglaries

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2015, 09:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I just installed some metal brackets to make it impossible to lift any of the sliders off their tracks, so they will need to make a lot more noise.....Researching no monthly cost alarm systems, that would call my cell phone, some of these allow monitoring to determine if it is a false alarm, and then you can call the police.
IF YOU CAN LIFT the sliders up then they are not installed properly, they should not be able to be lift up if installed properly.
But if they want to get in bad enough they can smash any window.
Adding glass breaks and shock sensors on the windows solves that problem.
I have shock sensors glass breaks etc.. and 48 zones, but it won't stop the desperate criminal only makes my neighbors aware of a break in.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:14 PM

like that a whole lot better than a gun tucked under the pillow...my hubby would probably be history creeping back to bed during the night after a trip to the loo.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Diane - this is not a gated community. The streets, except for those in villa areas, are public. As soon as the developer has completed an area the infrastructure (most of it) is turned over to the appropriate county or municipalities. That's why you see police on our internal roads and neighborhoods. The gates only provide the appearance of a gated area.
Gates are to slow the cars so they don't run over the golf carts crossing the road
Old 02-18-2015, 09:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

To all: I actually feel very safe here in TV. The alarm/camera system will be if someone is stupid enough to break into out house the police will have PHOTOS, and sufficient evidence to catch them.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:24 PM

anyone pushing a button is also having his/her photo taken. And any gate is more of deterent than not having a gate...at least for the amature thief. IMO But I would think that nothing beats a tight knit neighborhood, that knows who belongs and who doesn't and keeps a friendly eye on the one who might be a visitor...or not.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Gates are to slow the cars so they don't run over the golf carts crossing the road

You are correct
Old 02-18-2015, 09:30 PM

We need to constantly think solutions. One may be if you see someone suspicious delivering pamphlets or hanging around, discreetly or perhaps blatantly use your cell to get a photo to use later if you hear something and catch the one or few creating all this havoc. There are cameras around TV obviously not enough.
Kids seem to grab cameras, tvs, phones...these guys seem a little older but we are seniors with a lifetime of experience ... There spree will be over soon and then we need to think deterents.

nope...not the midwest it has become the hub for drug distribution. And where there are drugs, there is crime.
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleeh View Post
@Graciegirl, I see you on just about every thread. It has piqued my curiousity. Do you work for TV or are you Talk of The Villages? I am new to all of this, hopefully...I think... soon to be a resident. One of the reasons we decided on TV was the safety factor, being able to lock and leave; now I am seeing that TV is probably no different than where we are moving from. Will have to alarm & camera install, just like present home. Depressing. Not that I place high value on the material things i have, I just don't like that feeling of knowing that someone has been in my home uninvited, going through it , and might know me on the street but I don't know him/her/them...not a good feeling, but one that I've known before.
No Graciegirl does NOT work for The Villages or TOTV. She is smart sweet loving and loves her family. Gracie loves The Villages. Plain and simple.

I think you will love living here. Crime free though, no. Where there are people there is crime. Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:34 PM

what is meant by "bump proof locks"?
Old 02-18-2015, 09:41 PM
Location: Birmingham, AL, Destin, FL, St. Petersburg, FL, New Orleans, LA - Oct 2012 ~ Tamarind Grove
Default Gates are a Joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
Isn't it kind of pathetic that we only have the appearance of being a gated community and yet we have to swipe the stupid little white cards or push a button to get in? Those gates aren't fooling anyone.
Yes it is a joke...

I went to Stonecrest today for a dog sitting job. They have a REAL guard who ask questions. Where are you going, who are you visiting, then he checks the list to see if they called to OK you coming in. When you Exit, you have to wait for the Guard to open that gate and eyeball your vehicle. I was impressed and let my client know so. I know it is much smaller, but come on, we could do better I am certain, which could deter - not prevent - crime.

Where there is an abundance of $$$ there will be those tempted to take it, or the possessions purchased with that $$$.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:44 PM
Sage

So, which do you prefer? I prefer TV, but have lived in both environments. TV takes it on all scores.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:47 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan G View Post
Yes it is a joke...

I went to Stonecrest today for a dog sitting job. They have a REAL guard who ask questions. Where are you going, who are you visiting, then he checks the list to see if they called to OK you coming in. When you Exit, you have to wait for the Guard to open that gate and eyeball your vehicle. I was impressed and let my client know so. I know it is much smaller, but come on, we could do better I am certain, which could deter - not prevent - crime.

Where there is an abundance of $$$ there will be those tempted to take it, or the possessions purchased with that $$$.
Very impressive. Good for them. You would think that the money generated here would provide that kind of security as well.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:21 PM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

I hate to be the bearer of bad news again, BUT ... there was another attempted burglary investigated on Sassparilla in the Village of St. James this afternoon. Apparently the home had one of its rear screens sliced on their enclosed lanai, hoping to access one of the doors which the screen was covering. They believe this was done yesterday as from what I understand. They did not gain access to the home and nothing was taken.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:00 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
Very impressive. Good for them. You would think that the money generated here would provide that kind of security as well.
How many golf courses, pools, and rec centers does Stonecrest have for their fees?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.