Recommendation Needed

Closed Thread
Old 04-19-2021, 09:23 AM
Veteran member
Default Recommendation Needed

Looking for someone to come to my home to solve a computer issue. My wireless computer is not communicating with my wireless printer. Was working fine, but then one day stopped printing upon command.
Can you recommend someone you have used that is trustworthy?

TIA
Old 04-19-2021, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Before hiring someone, consider it might just need to be re-set. That happens to me on occasion with my HP Envy 6255 photo printer, and I've heard it happens to other HP printers once in awhile too. The best way to reset (not the only way but always best to try it the first time "from scratch"):

Correctly shut down your computer.
Correctly shut down your printer (if it's an HP with a button on the front, just hold it in until it shuts itself off. Not intuitive, most people don't know that and just unplug it. Don't do that. You need a reset, not a power-off).

Then...

turn your computer back on. Wait until it's finished cycling through all its start programs. You'll *probably* get an error message saying there's no printer attached. That's fine, just ignore the message.

Now turn your printer back on.

It SHOULD reset automatically.

If it doesn't, then you can call a guy.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:02 AM
Veteran member

The files that were loaded on to your computer with the initial printer installation should contain various diagnostic files. Try running some of them, worked for me.

Depending on the age of the printer you can call support and they can fix it for you but if over a year they will charge.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:42 AM
Default Reinstall the printer

I've had difficulties with my fairly new Brother WiFi B/W laser printer since the last update for Windows 10. I Installed a new set of drivers but still had the difficulty. So then went to Settings | Devices | Printers. Selected the printer that was being a "petulant child" and deleted it. Ha! Take That! Then I selected "Add a New Printer" and the computer searched for wireless printers to choose from. Sure enough my "petulant" one was there and I selected it to be installed. After that was completed, I reset it to be my default printer and so far after a few days and several print commands, I've had no issues of it ignoring my instructions.

Short and Sweet: Delete the printer from your computer and install it again.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

Have you tried printing from another device, like a smart phone or a tablet? That will tell you if the issue is just with the computer.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Before hiring someone, consider it might just need to be re-set. That happens to me on occasion with my HP Envy 6255 photo printer, and I've heard it happens to other HP printers once in awhile too. The best way to reset (not the only way but always best to try it the first time "from scratch"):

Correctly shut down your computer.
Correctly shut down your printer (if it's an HP with a button on the front, just hold it in until it shuts itself off. Not intuitive, most people don't know that and just unplug it. Don't do that. You need a reset, not a power-off).

Then...

turn your computer back on. Wait until it's finished cycling through all its start programs. You'll *probably* get an error message saying there's no printer attached. That's fine, just ignore the message.

Now turn your printer back on.

It SHOULD reset automatically.

If it doesn't, then you can call a guy.
Thanks, but did not work.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:47 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty6971 View Post
I've had difficulties with my fairly new Brother WiFi B/W laser printer since the last update for Windows 10. I Installed a new set of drivers but still had the difficulty. So then went to Settings | Devices | Printers. Selected the printer that was being a "petulant child" and deleted it. Ha! Take That! Then I selected "Add a New Printer" and the computer searched for wireless printers to choose from. Sure enough my "petulant" one was there and I selected it to be installed. After that was completed, I reset it to be my default printer and so far after a few days and several print commands, I've had no issues of it ignoring my instructions.

Short and Sweet: Delete the printer from your computer and install it again.
Thought I was getting somewhere, but then it wanted a WPS Pin which I did not know. So now the HP printer is disconnected.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedChariot View Post
Thought I was getting somewhere, but then it wanted a WPS Pin which I did not know. So now the HP printer is disconnected.
Normally all you have to do is press the WPS button on the modem, and the pin will be sent and the two will connect.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Go to the small home screen on the front of the printer and press the WIFI button to verify that the printer is connected to your WIFI network. It should display the name of your WIFI network. It is possible that it could have been accidentally connected to a neighbor's network that is within range. If it is connected to the correct network, then you should be able to print to the printer from any device that is also connected to the same WIFI network. You should also verify that your computer is connected to the same network. You shouldn't need the WPS pin.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I thought the WPS pin was on the router/modem that you get from your Internet provider.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:22 PM
Veteran member

One other thought...

Uninstall the HP printer software, download the newest version of the printer S/W from HP.com and reinstall it. This should automatically find the printer and setup everything as needed.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIgolfers View Post
I thought the WPS pin was on the router/modem that you get from your Internet provider.
It is, but the Internet provider usually converts it to a password that you can select and change. But, pressing the WPS button on the router/modem can accomplish the same thing as entering the password on some wireless devices.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinball wizard View Post
One other thought...

Uninstall the HP printer software, download the newest version of the printer S/W from HP.com and reinstall it. This should automatically find the printer and setup everything as needed.
There is also a free software program called, "HP Print and Scan Doctor" that can be downloaded to your computer. It will diagnose ands fix HP printer problems. The latest version is 5.6.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:21 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES
Default pm me

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
there is also a free software program called, "hp print and scan doctor" that can be downloaded to your computer. It will diagnose ands fix hp printer problems. The latest version is 5.6.
757-748-6060
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dalton Consulting Services 2.pdf (7.4 KB, 124 views)
Old 04-20-2021, 05:21 AM

We have a great guy who is fast and reasonable. I will get his name and number as soon as my husband gets out of the shower.
Closed Thread

Tags
wireless, computer, day, stopped, printing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.