Recommendations for appliances

Closed Thread
Old 01-03-2021, 12:05 PM

Have had good experience with Kenmore (built by Frigidaire) dutch door, lower freezer. Bought from Sears store in Summerfield. Also recommend Bosch dishwasher. Built in USA, extremely quiet, tested in factory before shipping, good warranty. Bought this at Best Buy. Also have had good experience with GE stoves and microwaves. Our washer and dryer are Kitchen Aide and I would repair them before buying new, as they have been excellent.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:36 PM

Stay away from Samsung on everything use LG or Whirlpool.
Old 01-03-2021, 02:11 PM
Location: New Hampshire, now Heathrow on Lake Deaton Preserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieRoy View Post
After a 38 year career in the appliance industry, I learned a few things. Big box stores offer selection (in showroom) and seemingly attractive pricing, but most use 3rd party delivery and service companies, so they are less invested in the process than independent dealers. Based on our surrounding area, these are the most convenient. However, several independent appliance dealers in outlying areas, such as the Orlando market, will deliver here with their own employees, and some employ service technicians. If you go the independent route, consider Aggressive Appliance, Southeast Steel, and Famous Tate. Regarding brands, here is the latest: Samsung & LG are large brands owned by South Korean conglomerates of the same names. Some appliances produced in North America, others imported from various factories in Asia. These brands focus on style and gimmicky features, but performance may be not meet your expectations. GE was purchased several years ago by Haier of China, producing some in North America and others in Asia, but operates factory backed service in many parts of the country. Whirlpool owns several brands, including Whirlpool, Maytag, Amana, KitchenAid, and Jenn-Air, which are mostly produced in North America. The other major producer, Electrolux, sells most products under the Frigidaire brand, which has multiple premium sub-brands such as Gallery, and Professional. From here you move into ultra premium brands such a Wolf, Viking, Sub-Zero, etc. In my experience, the ultra premium brands offer style and material upgrades, but not necessarily performance and durability advantages over mainstream brands. I find that the sweet spot for performance, durability, value lies in the upper levels of mainstream brands, such as Frigidaire Gallery & Professional, Whirlpool Gold & KitchenAid, GE Profile. Bottom line, it is worth the drive to the independents, who will match price, fully explain the products, and provide better after sales service. You may consider sites other than Consumer Reports, such as Reviewed.com or CNET.com as these seem to be less closely tied to specific manufacturers and may have a more balanced review. Good luck!
Thank you for providing such informative and thorough information.
Old 01-03-2021, 03:23 PM
Default about brands of appliances

Informative and interesting article about what companies own which brands. Our 14 year old Amana (loved it) finally needed repairs but a new one would last as long as we needed to eat so we researched. Bought a perfect and top of the line LG. We loved it for a month and we had to move, leave fridge. Then The Villages new home included all Samsung. They are awful. Everybody writes about problems and at the first sign of trouble anyone who wants mine can pick it up on the street. I wouldn’t put a penny into a repair. As an aside every article we read made note of the built-in obsolescence for every brand without exception, every sales person said we’d get 5-6 years out of a new one. We adjusted our budget for that eventuality and didn’t worry as much about the bells and whistles features on the LG but it was still perfect.
Old 01-03-2021, 03:23 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,295 Times in 439 Posts

We purchased all Kitchen Aid appliances for our house 3 years ago. I had them in for warranty service multiple times within the first year. Since then I have had to replace two parts on the refrigerator. Also they called the oven “energy saving self cleaning”. Which actually means that it’s not self cleaning. You can look up all the buyers complaints online.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:23 PM
Platinum member

We recently re modeled and have now re modeled two homes. Had a lot of problems with the top of the line Kitchenaid French door refrigerator with ice/water thru door. Replaced icemaker two times in 3 years. Highly recommend Bosch dishwashers.

Highly suggest going with counter depth refrigerator. Smaller but makes kitchen look much better. Good luck, many items were not in supply.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:08 PM

A few years ago, in our primary house in NY, we replaced all 6 appliances with matching stainless steel GE Profile ones (incl. washer and dryer). Surprisingly, our magnetic plastic holders for photos, which we had used on our previous refrigerator, also worked on the front of the new "stainless steel" one. So it obviously did not have much stainless steel content because real stainless steel does not hold magnets. 13 months later my husband accidentally knocked one of the magnetic photo holders off the front of the new fridge and there was rust underneath it. We took all of the photo magnets off, and there was rust underneath almost every one, all over the two side by side doors. We called GE about it and since we were 1 month out of warranty, they would not do a single thing about it. Before we called, we read the entire owners manual and there is no warning against using magnets on it. They offered to sell us new outer door panels for $900 each, and after much going back and forth they lowered their price to $600 each. Needless to say we did not buy them. Given the fact that we bought 6 GE appliances at once we thought they would be more accommodating. My husband had read in a car magazine a way to remove rust from stainless steel on cars by balling up aluminum foil, running it under water and then using it in circles on the rust. He tried this and got rid of 95% of it, but we still look at a little rust every day. We have vowed to never buy another GE appliance because of their poor customer service.
You might also want to know:
- The GE Profile dishwasher runs for hours and hours (very quietly, which we appreciate) and has the worst upper rack we've ever had, it is very challenging to load and doesn't hold much. Also, for our next dishwasher we will buy one with the silverware rack across the bottom front, instead of the side, so we don't have to open the dishwasher all the way and pull the bottom rack out just to drop a spoon in.
- The GE Profile washing machine also runs for hours and hours, we never took so long to do laundry in our life.
Old 01-03-2021, 06:58 PM

We have lg stove love it cook alot.kitchen aid dish washer with ss inside and refrigerator, whirlpool convec micro
Old 01-03-2021, 07:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas39 View Post
Stay away from Samsung on everything use LG or Whirlpool.
You couldn’t’ give me LG anything.
Old 01-03-2021, 07:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
We purchased all Kitchen Aid appliances for our house 3 years ago. I had them in for warranty service multiple times within the first year. Since then I have had to replace two parts on the refrigerator. Also they called the oven “energy saving self cleaning”. Which actually means that it’s not self cleaning. You can look up all the buyers complaints online.
No oven going self clean, what it does in toast the crap so it crumbles off easy.
Old 01-03-2021, 07:41 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

Wolf and Kitchen Aid
Old 01-07-2021, 07:42 PM

Don't go near Fridgedaire.
Old 01-09-2021, 05:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieRoy View Post
After a 38 year career in the appliance industry, I learned a few things. Big box stores offer selection (in showroom) and seemingly attractive pricing, but most use 3rd party delivery and service companies, so they are less invested in the process than independent dealers. Based on our surrounding area, these are the most convenient. However, several independent appliance dealers in outlying areas, such as the Orlando market, will deliver here with their own employees, and some employ service technicians. If you go the independent route, consider Aggressive Appliance, Southeast Steel, and Famous Tate. Regarding brands, here is the latest: Samsung & LG are large brands owned by South Korean conglomerates of the same names. Some appliances produced in North America, others imported from various factories in Asia. These brands focus on style and gimmicky features, but performance may be not meet your expectations. GE was purchased several years ago by Haier of China, producing some in North America and others in Asia, but operates factory backed service in many parts of the country. Whirlpool owns several brands, including Whirlpool, Maytag, Amana, KitchenAid, and Jenn-Air, which are mostly produced in North America. The other major producer, Electrolux, sells most products under the Frigidaire brand, which has multiple premium sub-brands such as Gallery, and Professional. From here you move into ultra premium brands such a Wolf, Viking, Sub-Zero, etc. In my experience, the ultra premium brands offer style and material upgrades, but not necessarily performance and durability advantages over mainstream brands. I find that the sweet spot for performance, durability, value lies in the upper levels of mainstream brands, such as Frigidaire Gallery & Professional, Whirlpool Gold & KitchenAid, GE Profile. Bottom line, it is worth the drive to the independents, who will match price, fully explain the products, and provide better after sales service. You may consider sites other than Consumer Reports, such as Reviewed.com or CNET.com as these seem to be less closely tied to specific manufacturers and may have a more balanced review. Good luck!
Just want to thank you for recommending Southeast Steel. Went today and ordered our new kitchen appliances.
Closed Thread

Tags
recommendations, appliances, planning, replace, kitchen

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.