Recommendations for Phone Service, Cable & Internet Access

Closed Thread
Old 01-23-2008, 08:52 PM
Default Recommendations for Phone Service, Cable & Internet Access

After three house-hunting trips, we bought a new stretched Gardenia last Saturday in Hadley, overlooking the fourth hole of the Hemingway course. Wave as you play by. We'll close in mid-February and move later this spring with occasional trips in between.

Many thanks to all for suppling the multitudes of information we found here. When we needed to learn something new, a TOTV topic seemed to pop-up or I could do a search.

We have to select companies to provide phone service, cable and Internet access. Not certain what choices we have. It appears that Embarq has a lock on landmine phone service. We could go with a VoIP, such as Vonage (I used them in Mass.). And Embarq DSL competes with Comcast for the Internet.

Recommendations?

Many Thanks

Jim

Plymouth (MA)
Lexington (MA)
Old 01-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Dancing Thyme
Default Re: Recommendations for Phone Service, Cable & Internet Access

Bump,

I'm interested also. Please Help!!!!

Kath

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 01-23-2008, 11:12 PM

Also interested. Not sure of need for landline. I use nationwide cell service. How is cell reception in the area? What carriers?
Old 01-24-2008, 12:00 AM

If you want the fastest possible internet service provider (ISP), Comcast is the way to go; they are the more expensive than Embarq DSL, but in my opinion they are worth it. Comcast gives you a discount if you have their cable TV and Internet service. Embarq likes to say that they have high speed internet service also, but it's at a slower rate unless you pay a fair amount more than the "cheaper" rate that they like to advertise.

You're pretty much stuck with Embarq for local landline telephone service unless you want to use an ISP based service like Vonage. As for cell phone service, I've had Nextel and Sprint cellular service and their coverage is excellent in the area.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:12 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I'd definitely get Comcast. Much faster than Embarq. I don't have a landline. Haven't for years. I've found Verizon to cover all of TV so far.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-24-2008, 12:34 AM

We also have no landline and use AT&T cell service. No problems with coverage thru out the area. We use Comcast for our cable and internet service.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:47 AM

We use comcast for cable and internet and Phone Power (voip) for tel. Have had no problems with any of them. Used to use Embarq for local tel and phone card for long distance but Phone Power is cheaper than the Embarq local service and we get unlimited L.D. and all normal VOIP features.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:45 AM
Gold member

We use Comcast for TV and internet, Vonage for phone. No complaints yet!
Old 01-24-2008, 10:26 PM
Veteran member

In north Florida we have Cox Communications which provides cable, internet, AND NOW also phone service via cable - I think it's VOIP. Do you know if Comcast also provides phone service as part of a package?
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 01-24-2008, 10:59 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I tried to get Comcast phone but they said they don't have it here yet and not sure when (or even if) they ever will.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-25-2008, 02:23 AM

I did a comparison If you are looking for all 3 services TV Phone and Internet
I would suggest that you go for a bundle and stick with it. The difference in pricing is not great.

I have Comcast Internet and Comcast HD w/Vonnage phone. (Comcast does not have phone service yet.

But I also had Embarq landline phone, with Dish HD network, and Embarq DSL.

Pricing was about 4.00 difference for services I wanted.

Go figure about competition.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:59 PM

Thanks all for the feedback. Now, we have to shop for furniture and a golf cart. Need to slow down. It's all happening too fast, but we can't wait to get there.

Plymouth (MA)
Lexington (MA)
Old 01-26-2008, 09:43 PM

Im01, Why did you change from embarq? were you not happy with their service, or did you change to get Vonage? Could you eleborate a little on how Vonage is hooked up and how it works. Also what is your bill for Comcast Internet and Vonage Any info would be helpful as I am about to have to make these decisions. I know that I want Direct TV, and like redwitch we may just use or cell phones and not have a landline. Thanks so much.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:37 PM
Eternal Member

For land line phone service we just purchased the "Magic Jack" phone system that allows you to plug your land line phone into a USB outlet on your PC . Free local and long distance. This phone system is discussed further in another thread. Website= www.magicjack.com. No issues with it so far.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:58 AM

Hi Bama- I had Embarq in Pa before my move to the villages. Embarq was ok I just wanted to have faster internet service. Using a cel phone as your main phone is not a bad idea. Kills 2 birds with one stone as they say. If you go with Embarq there may be static on your phone as a result. The tech may need to come back and run another wire seperating your phone and internet services.....keep that in mind.

There are a lot of VIOP services to consider most work about the same. usually you have 2 options for hooking up your phone. 1 you could hook it up to internet line and then use wireless phones around your home. You can get bundles of 4 phones at Sams. or you can hook it up to your internet and use your current hard phone wires in the house as normal. If you do this you need to open the box outside your home and disconnect the wires coming into the house.

For me I just went wireless and it is working just fine.

Direct tv with high definition runs about 67.00 a month
Comcast digital with on demand 64.00 a month
Dish network about the same but the HDdvr is very easy to use.

Depending where you are located Wireless phones have generally good service in the Villages

OHHHHHHH decisions to be made

Good luck
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.