Recreation News

Closed Thread
Old 01-19-2018, 11:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishJW View Post
I would like to see at least one difference between the hardcopy and online versions of the Recreation News. Right now, they are identical each week (i.e., number of pages). I think there should be a reasonable way to have information available all the time for the clubs that meet at the same time in the same place each week. Maybe the hardcopy version could only list the activities for these clubs in the first issue each month. However, the listings for these clubs should be a separate online document. Once it is published at the beginning of the month, it should stay online for the entire month (or it should remain up year round subject only to edits).

Yes, I have suggested this to the Recreation Department. John Rohan was responsive and informative. I believe he is looking at effective alternatives and are more than willing to hear from any of us. Publishing all the redundant information every week does seem (at least to me) to be over kill.
Better to contact him rather than post (complaints) on here.
Recreation
Phone: 352-674-1800 • Fax: 352-674-1805
Email Recreation Department
John Rohan: John.Rohan@districtgov.org
Old 01-19-2018, 06:56 PM

The reduction is just WRONG
Old 01-19-2018, 07:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I was notified by The Daily Sun, who publishes the Rec News that from now on, all weekly club meeting notifications will only be published every other week. Also, the notifications have been reduced from 100 words to 50 words.

I know that it costs them a lot of money to publish this thing every week, but I find it sad that a community that sells itself on the lifestyle would reduce the information that residents need to find out about lifestyle activities.

Why not put it out once a month and put all clubs in it and allow notifications up 100 words again? That way it would have all of the information that people need and everyone would just hold onto it for a month. New clubs and activities would be posted once a month.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I was notified by The Daily Sun, who publishes the Rec News that from now on, all weekly club meeting notifications will only be published every other week. Also, the notifications have been reduced from 100 words to 50 words.

I know that it costs them a lot of money to publish this thing every week, but I find it sad that a community that sells itself on the lifestyle would reduce the information that residents need to find out about lifestyle activities.

Why not put it out once a month and put all clubs in it and allow notifications up 100 words again? That way it would have all of the information that people need and everyone would just hold onto it for a month. New clubs and activities would be posted once a month.
I'm with you on that. Have you forwarded your suggestion to Mr. Rohan? If not, do you mind if I do? You've stated it very well.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Recreation
It's a good idea, Bogie. But actually, I'd be surprised if the developer doesn't have somebody monitoring this site. For self-protection if nothing else.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post

The changes and reductions are happening because of the public outcry against the cost to print it. We can thank that vocal minority.

I definitely do think your idea should be considered, but a lot of things can change with club or activity between the first and End of the month and you wouldn’t get a chance to update the information.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
It's a good idea, Bogie. But actually, I'd be surprised if the developer doesn't have somebody monitoring this site. For self-protection if nothing else.
If I really had a beef........I would not rely on that assumption.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:58 AM
Sage

I was thinking of this topic when I noticed the TV Listings in the Sunday Daily Sun. I wonder how many use that list in todays computer age?
Old 01-21-2018, 12:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Recreation
I think you misread my post Bogie Shooter. I did contact John Rohan and he did respond as I mentioned.

Tags
week, groups, deciding, pages, insert

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.