Recreation News

Closed Thread
Old 01-12-2018, 02:42 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by circletrack View Post
As reported heavily in the Online New there seemed to be a huge outcry against the rec news and the cost of its printing.
Unfortunately it looks like we are seeing the results of their effort to cut costs. And that results in less info I guess.
Obviously the majority of us on TOTV would be absolutely comfortable with an online-only version. We’re already fairly tech capable. But TOTV users are a small percentage of our 100k population. I would bet the loyal readers of the print product currently outnumber us. And they didn’t grab pitchforks over its cost so their voice was never heard.
Do you suppose they will pass the cost saving to subscribers? I kind of doubt it.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
Do you suppose they will pass the cost saving to subscribers? I kind of doubt it.

I don’t believe it is a question of cost savings. Rather, it is a matter of cost avoidance. If I recall correctly the cost of printing the Rec news was going to increase approx. $750k this year. (I could be off $100k +/-)

In any event that additional cost would have been borne by us residents. So, contrary to some opinions I believe there is nothing nefarious going on here. It’s more likely that what we have here is an effort at being good stewards with our money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-12-2018, 04:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

God Help us the day the Morriisseess Morses are not involved in our operation. The way they handle our money, it is just good business nothing more.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
God Help us the day the Morriisseess Morses are not involved in our operation. The way they handle our money, it is just good business nothing more.
Correctomundo!!!

And we never, ever, EVER want the developer out and TV run by the residents.....

Never, ever!!!
Old 01-12-2018, 07:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I respectfully and completely disagree with your asessment. For profit businesses do make a profit. THAT is a given. In this case they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. For some people negativity is their fixed attitude toward any successful large business.

And you responded to my post that talked about the use of rec center facilities and rooms. They aren't supposed to be used for business if they are used for free. People can use them if they are available for functions including out of village people, if they pay for their use.
Yes, but they kept the option to keep it in the paper? Who owns the paper? who's making the decisions? Well placed career developer regime. The rec guide should be in the Rec centers published once month and should be contract to the lowest bidder. This in the only way to stop the Monopoly money.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
As I understand it, the recreation department pays for the the rec news. The Sun is under contract to to print and distribute it. Much like any advertising insert you find in the paper. If anything, a reduction in size would result in a reduction in profit for producing it. So it would only drive up the cost of a subscription.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:30 AM
Veteran member
Default Hardcopy vs. Online

Has the size/content of the online Rec News been reduced as well? I assume most, if not all, of us who use TOTV would be better off with a more complete online Rec News than a limited scope hard copy. While saying this I fully recognize that many here will prefer to continue with the hardcopy version arriving in each Thursday's Daily Sun.

P.S. The most current online version is just 36 pages - exactly the same as the hardcopy version.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:45 PM
Platinum member

All good comments...

One of the things that made me buy here was the Thursday paper packed with activities (listed in the Rec. News) to do.

Instead of giving feedback here, write to the Daily Sun editors AND the Rec. Department and tell them how you feel about the declining value of the paper and how hard it is to find an activity that fits your skills and schedule. John Rohan always wants to know what you think.

As for the District.Gov site, and the TOTV Activities site, it's too hard to find the clubs because of all the abbreviations they use.

Skip
Old 01-13-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
All good comments...

One of the things that made me buy here was the Thursday paper packed with activities (listed in the Rec. News) to do.

Instead of giving feedback here, write to the Daily Sun editors AND the Rec. Department and tell them how you feel about the declining value of the paper and how hard it is to find an activity that fits your skills and schedule. John Rohan always wants to know what you think.

As for the District.Gov site, and the TOTV Activities site, it's too hard to find the clubs because of all the abbreviations they use.

Skip
I’ve called. The Sun points you straight to the Rec Department. They only print it.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:34 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

At the risk of being flamed, why not add $1 per month to the amenity fee? That would easily cover the cost of a full every week Rec News in the paper. After all, aren't all the activities here amenities?
Old 01-15-2018, 08:22 AM

I need help! When I look up clubs on line all I find is 136 pages of abbreviated club names with phone numbers there are no descriptions of what the cubs do. I am at the recreation page for clubs is there another location that has more detailed information ?
It is impossible for me with that description to know what club does.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltdisney4life View Post
I need help! When I look up clubs on line all I find is 136 pages of abbreviated club names with phone numbers there are no descriptions of what the cubs do. I am at the recreation page for clubs is there another location that has more detailed information ?
It is impossible for me with that description to know what club does.
Try this:

http://www.thevillagesdailysun.com/a...es/recnews.pdf
Old 01-16-2018, 12:26 AM
Gold member

Call and let them know how you feel!! I am personally very frustrated. All my New Years resolutions are gonna be hard to follow through with if I can’t find the Yoga and WATP and Zumba classes.
They need to find a better solution and it won’t happen unless we call and let them know how we feel. Writing is probably better. Complaining to each other doesn’t help a single bit.
Action people!!
Old 01-16-2018, 08:19 AM
Sage

As I already posted (#13), I was told that the non-changing monthly classes will not have their full descriptions printed every week in the rec guide. You may have to wait a week for the next full printing of the monthly classes. Time will tell if this is actually true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti105 View Post
Call and let them know how you feel!! I am personally very frustrated. All my New Years resolutions are gonna be hard to follow through with if I can’t find the Yoga and WATP and Zumba classes.
They need to find a better solution and it won’t happen unless we call and let them know how we feel. Writing is probably better. Complaining to each other doesn’t help a single bit.
Action people!!
Old 01-19-2018, 10:15 AM
Veteran member

I would like to see at least one difference between the hardcopy and online versions of the Recreation News. Right now, they are identical each week (i.e., number of pages). I think there should be a reasonable way to have information available all the time for the clubs that meet at the same time in the same place each week. Maybe the hardcopy version could only list the activities for these clubs in the first issue each month. However, the listings for these clubs should be a separate online document. Once it is published at the beginning of the month, it should stay online for the entire month (or it should remain up year round subject only to edits).

Yes, I have suggested this to the Recreation Department. John Rohan was responsive and informative. I believe he is looking at effective alternatives and is more than willing to hear from any of us. Publishing all the redundant information every week does seem (at least to me) to be over kill.

Last edited by EnglishJW; 01-21-2018 at 12:27 PM. Reason: is for are
Closed Thread

Tags
week, groups, deciding, pages, insert

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.