Recreation News insert of The Daily Sun in the news.....AGAIN!!!

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2018, 09:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

In a nut shell!

There are too many much more cost effective ways to get the same information than to continue with an insert that was approaching a million dollars per year to produce. And now at $700,000 + per year with the threat of cost increases due to news print stock availability.

The insert is not a good use of resident amenity fees.....when there are other alternatives. And repeating what others have said above.....for those who just gotta have it.....they can go to the rec centers and get it or buy it.

Hmmnn....for those who gotta have it.....if you had to pay for it would you buy it every week?
Old 04-16-2018, 10:04 AM
Veteran member

This is an outsider view since I don't get the paper, but would the best solution be to publish the entertainment section as a separate weekly entity? People who want it could subscribe and help underwrite the costs, and those who don't care wouldn't see it. But that would likely mean an overall reduction in the number of subscriptions to the Daily Sun, for better or worse.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
In a nut shell!

There are too many much more cost effective ways to get the same information than to continue with an insert that was approaching a million dollars per year to produce. And now at $700,000 + per year with the threat of cost increases due to news print stock availability.

The insert is not a good use of resident amenity fees.....when there are other alternatives. And repeating what others have said above.....for those who just gotta have it.....they can go to the rec centers and get it or buy it.

Hmmnn....for those who gotta have it.....if you had to pay for it would you buy it every week?
Anything that helps sell The Villages, does good for us who have invested in The Villages.

Husbands brother visited for first time here a couple of weeks ago. He collected all things "The Villages" to take back home with him and especially wanted to take the Recreation News. We hope he will move here.

We have ALWAYS considered our home an investment. We are on our second one here in ten years. I was surprised to hear the last time I referred to our home as an "investment" that some people were shocked. We have built many new homes over time. We enjoy the process and look to make money on it too.

Some people consider changing out the flowers as a waste of money. I don't. I love them. If we all placed value on the same things, they would only sell Vanilla ice cream.

Last edited by graciegirl; 04-16-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:54 AM
Sage

We are not talking about a lot of money. The cost is approximately 0.6% of the amenities budget.

I suspect the average Villager is "old school" and likes printed media. They could also do away with printing the daily newspaper and go with an on-line version but I believe that is not what most people want.

Like it or not, there are many things that you pay for with your amenities fee that you don't use.

Quote:
In a nut shell!

Old 04-16-2018, 09:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
How many readers are like us?
We pull the Recreation News, along with the other usual repetitive inserts and toss. Most inserts are like junk mail.
How many do the same thing?
If they raise the cost of the Daily Sun to support what has become a political football, we will cancel our subscription to home delivery.

We can easily stay up to date with the online version which does not have the insert problems.

The recreation news is a bloated, redundant information source that can easily be significantly reduced in tonnage or eliminated with opt in type options.

Those who want it should be bearing the costs.

In my humble opinion!!

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 04-16-2018, 11:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Those who want it should be bearing the costs.

In my humble opinion!!
Yea, that's the ticket! Same for golf courses & Pickle Ball courts and softball fields and pools & polo fields and ............ !!

Old 04-18-2018, 06:38 AM

delete

Last edited by Amb3rTastic; 04-18-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:01 AM
Sage

I have never thought of the homes we owned as an investment-we considered them an expense-taxes, maintenance, extra space that goes unused

the only real estate I made real money in was the projects I worked on--bought the very first house-pre-construction, as it got its CO-had single guys who worked for me live in it-they payed rent--used the basement as a job site trailer-sold the house when the project was done

win,win !!!!
Old 05-01-2018, 08:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
My opinion would be to print it, put it in the local stores and if you want it, you buy it!

Excellent idea...IMHO.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:47 AM
Sage

Wish they had an option to get Thursady and/or Sunday only delivery
Closed Thread

Tags
news, recreation, inserts, easily, insert

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.