Recreation News insert of The Daily Sun in the news.....AGAIN!!!

Closed Thread
Old 04-11-2018, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Recreation News insert of The Daily Sun in the news.....AGAIN!!!

How many readers are like us?
We pull the Recreation News, along with the other usual repetitive inserts and toss. Most inserts are like junk mail.
How many do the same thing?
If they raise the cost of the Daily Sun to support what has become a political football, we will cancel our subscription to home delivery.

We can easily stay up to date with the online version which does not have the insert problems.

The recreation news is a bloated, redundant information source that can easily be significantly reduced in tonnage or eliminated with opt in type options.

Those who want it should be bearing the costs.

In my humble opinion!!
Old 04-11-2018, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

I for one always save the printed recreation news section and reference it almost daily. As an avid lap swimmer, having the schedules for all of the sports pools accessible without having to go to a computer comes in very handy. We are old school and very much like reading things in print rather than from a computer screen.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I for one always save the printed recreation news section and reference it almost daily...having the schedules for all of the sports pools accessible without having to go to a computer comes in very handy...
Same here.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Insert

Quote:
I for one always save the printed recreation news section and reference it almost daily. As an avid lap swimmer, having the schedules for all of the sports pools accessible without having to go to a computer comes in very handy. We are old school and very much like reading things in print rather than from a computer screen.
We save Rec News every week and like receiving the hard copy.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:20 AM

Me too.

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 04-11-2018, 09:22 AM
Veteran member

Me three.....
Old 04-11-2018, 10:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Same here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
We save Rec News every week and like receiving the hard copy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulat585 View Post
Me too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed2BNTV View Post
Me three.....
Me four...... but that being said, I would stop at a Rec. Center and pick one up if the delivery with the "Daily Sun" stopped. I don't think everyone should pay the cost and understand a lot get tossed. Chances are if you want one, you frequent Rec. Centers. They are available now at Rec. Centers. Think if they printed 30,000 or 40,000 less per week..... might save a couple of cents.( or is it sense?)
Old 04-11-2018, 10:47 AM
Sage

Do you realize that they have already significantly cut down on the size of the Rec News? Every other week is a slimmed down version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
How many readers are like us?
We pull the Recreation News, along with the other usual repetitive inserts and toss. Most inserts are like junk mail.
How many do the same thing?
If they raise the cost of the Daily Sun to support what has become a political football, we will cancel our subscription to home delivery.

We can easily stay up to date with the online version which does not have the insert problems.

The recreation news is a bloated, redundant information source that can easily be significantly reduced in tonnage or eliminated with opt in type options.

Those who want it should be bearing the costs.

In my humble opinion!!
Old 04-11-2018, 11:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Do you realize that they have already significantly cut down on the size of the Rec News? Every other week is a slimmed down version.
I'm thinking people that don't read it would not know that. Even the slimmed down version is redundant. Let's just put it in Rec. Centers.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Yes!!!
That does not justify the $700,000 + expense for the coming year when there are more cost effective solutions.

Not knowing what the real number is they could consider an opt in solution; toss it only to those who opt in. This would ultimately lead to a lower volume of rec news resulting in an increase in cost. Which again would be passed down only to those who opt in.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:32 AM
Sage

They can't make everybody happy. No matter what they do, someone will be unhappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Yes!!!
That does not justify the $700,000 + expense for the coming year when there are more cost effective solutions.

Not knowing what the real number is they could consider an opt in solution; toss it only to those who opt in. This would ultimately lead to a lower volume of rec news resulting in an increase in cost. Which again would be passed down only to those who opt in.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
I'm thinking people that don't read it would not know that. Even the slimmed down version is redundant. Let's just put it in Rec. Centers.
I agree. We don’t need the hard copy.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:43 PM

In a word the Rec News is redundant.
Publish it weekly and only insert it once a month. Say as a Sunday insert.
You can pick it up weekly or more often from the Rec Centers. They could than adjust the total copies after a couple of months.
The Daily Sun currently publishes daily and weekly updates.
Or, you can access the Rec News on line for more current status.
There is no need to continue the expense of publishing and distributing the Rec News on a weekly basis.
That is my view on the subject.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:27 AM
Platinum member

I guess I m puzzled. To each their own. Why should what the rest of the subscribers do affect whether the OP cancels his or her subscription.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:14 AM

I use it weekly. I pull it & it sits in my coffee table until next week. I work part time a rotating schedule so I can’t make the same activities every week. I would give up the classifieds (which I never read) before I would give up my rec news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tags
news, recreation, inserts, easily, insert

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.