Recycling aluminum cans

Closed Thread
Old 08-06-2020, 09:02 AM
Veteran member
Question Recycling aluminum cans

I understand that the Lions Club is no longer permitted to have their aluminum can collection containers at TV mail stations (for whatever reason). They don't have a web site or e-mail and I was wondering if they still collect the cans and if so are they accepting cans. If they are, is there a location where we may drop off our individual contributions? If they're 'out of the business' of recycling cans is there another entity that would care to have our cans? Thank you.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:19 AM
Gold member

Recyclables are picked up once a week from every home in The Villages.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 08-06-2020, 09:24 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

It is my understanding that District Staff, the Lions Club, several churches and others are working on fixing the issues and locations for the recycling of aluminum cans and possibly other items as NSCUDD will as of October not recycle but transport all solid waste collected to the Covanta plant to be burned.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:36 PM
Sage

There is a recycling center off of 301 in Oxford (right turn just before Napolinos when going north) that will buy your aluminum cans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeagle65 View Post
I understand that the Lions Club is no longer permitted to have their aluminum can collection containers at TV mail stations (for whatever reason). They don't have a web site or e-mail and I was wondering if they still collect the cans and if so are they accepting cans. If they are, is there a location where we may drop off our individual contributions? If they're 'out of the business' of recycling cans is there another entity that would care to have our cans? Thank you.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
Recyclables are picked up once a week from every home in The Villages.
They are, but I wanted to help someone that is recycling the cans for a good cause.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member

On the plus side, the Covanta plant will recover much of the metal in the waste stream (post burn)

On the minus side, I suspect that it comes out as a mix of everything rather than pure aluminum etc. so will need additional working to recycle - do they do that?

The downside with the current system of a recycling pick-up is that it is not economic to have to separate the aluminum from the glass from the newspaper from the cardboard from the plastic as those items don't sell for much.

It would be nice to find a place that accepts just aluminum, as it is the easiest and most profitable material to recycle.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:53 AM

Is there weekly recycling south of 44?
Old 08-07-2020, 06:59 AM
Sage

Did you not read post #4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
On the plus side, the Covanta plant will recover much of the metal in the waste stream (post burn)

On the minus side, I suspect that it comes out as a mix of everything rather than pure aluminum etc. so will need additional working to recycle - do they do that?

The downside with the current system of a recycling pick-up is that it is not economic to have to separate the aluminum from the glass from the newspaper from the cardboard from the plastic as those items don't sell for much.

It would be nice to find a place that accepts just aluminum, as it is the easiest and most profitable material to recycle.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:30 AM

Old 08-07-2020, 08:38 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,252 Times in 424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post

I feel the same way.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Did you not read post #4?
Yes, but I only have a golf cart, which is why weekly collection of recyclables, or drop-off at mailboxes, was so good.
Closed Thread

Tags
cans, recycling, aluminum, accepting, location

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.