Recycling Help

Closed Thread
Old 01-03-2020, 10:08 AM
Send a message via AIM to Grill Meister Send a message via Yahoo to Grill Meister

And if you buy at Lowes and are a veteran, you will receive a discount. If that's the case tell the clerk when you check out.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:09 PM

I would think that most people would do a Google search for clear plastic bags, before asking on this forum where to buy them. A search easily locates them.

So, to me, asking a question like that on this forum is questionable use of the forum.

But then, we do have all the "I agree" posts and like......

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamahaffen View Post
I don't think that the rude "DUH" comment was necessary. Part of today's world problems might be that people feel that social media makes it OK to say any and all thoughts. What happened to the rule of "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all". Should apply no matter how you are communicating. JMO
Old 01-03-2020, 12:52 PM

Speaking of recycling, and since I don't know how to create a new post/thread... Does anyone have a sure fire proven method to keep critters away from the garbage bags that are left out? Once upon a time, spraying with ammonia worked, but apparently there are now scavengers that are ammonia-proof. What works?
Old 01-03-2020, 01:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roob1 View Post
I would think that most people would do a Google search for clear plastic bags, before asking on this forum where to buy them. A search easily locates them.

So, to me, asking a question like that on this forum is questionable use of the forum.

But then, we do have all the "I agree" posts and like......
I totally disagree with you. For one thing, googling recycle bags is not going to tell you everyone in The Villages who carries them. At least not without clicking on individual stores and doing another search. My Google search came up with only one clear answer and a bunch of stuff that's not really a recycle bag. So unless you're going to Walmart, you're going to miss Publix, Ace Hardware, and others who might carry them.

This forum is for helping others as well as getting and giving opinions. People ask for this kind of help all the time, and nobody objects. At least, not until now.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:26 PM

The OP did not ask where to buy them specifically in The Villages, nor did he/she ask for every location in TV who carries them.

A Google search for "clear recycling bags" shows both local and online retailers...Amazon, Walmart, Target, Home Depot, Lowes. The link for each is an easy click away.

But yes, much easier to ask others than helpee-selfee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I totally disagree with you. For one thing, googling recycle bags is not going to tell you everyone in The Villages who carries them. At least not without clicking on individual stores and doing another search. My Google search came up with only one clear answer and a bunch of stuff that's not really a recycle bag. So unless you're going to Walmart, you're going to miss Publix, Ace Hardware, and others who might carry them.

This forum is for helping others as well as getting and giving opinions. People ask for this kind of help all the time, and nobody objects. At least, not until now.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roob1 View Post
The OP did not ask where to buy them specifically in The Villages, nor did he/she ask for every location in TV who carries them.

A Google search for "clear recycling bags" shows both local and online retailers...Amazon, Walmart, Target, Home Depot, Lowes. The link for each is an easy click away.

But yes, much easier to ask others than helpee-selfee.
Perhaps the OP did not specifically ask What Store, but I think the intent was pretty clear. And my Google Search came up with Walmart. All the other stores listed were showing things other than clear recycling bags. Some were blue. Some were lawn bags. Some were tall kitchen can bags. Etc.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:59 PM

Stores.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

LOL! I think some people are "overthinking" this. Don't look specifically for RECYCLING BAGS because they generally aren't labeled that way. The boxes we have always bought in Walmart, SAMs, Co***o or Publix are simply labeled labeled "15 Gallon KITCHEN BAGS" Sometimes they are marked CLEAR and other times you have to look at the photo on the box. Some towns require clear bags for ALL garbage, recycling or otherwise, so if they labeled them all "recycling" some folks would thing they will be arrested for using them for garbage or to store clothes and they wouldn't sell. These are from Sam's and nowhere do they say "clear" or "recycling." Just have to look at the picture on the box.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-01-03 21.27.10.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	82423  
Old 01-04-2020, 08:17 AM

Publix
Old 01-04-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teachbeach View Post
Where do you find the clear bags required for recycling? Thanks!
The best I found are at Walmart they have 2 kinds a thinner and a thicker with draw string
Old 01-04-2020, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post

As far as recycling, yesterday in Tamarind Grove they made two trips as usual on Thursday. One trip for garbage and later for recycling.
This week in our area of Caroline same. Two seperate pickups.
Last week all went on one truck.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
What is "ENERGY FROM WASTE"? South of 44 is the only area that has that symbol listed on the Sumter Sanitation Schedule.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula View Post
Speaking of recycling, and since I don't know how to create a new post/thread... Does anyone have a sure fire proven method to keep critters away from the garbage bags that are left out? Once upon a time, spraying with ammonia worked, but apparently there are now scavengers that are ammonia-proof. What works?
There is a dark red "button" centered left to right on the page and just above all the listed threads. That same dark red "button" is also located on the left side of the page just below the list of all the threads. Click on either of those "buttons" to start a new thread. It's very easy to do.

Last edited by coffeebean; 01-06-2020 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
What is "ENERGY FROM WASTE"? South of 44 is the only area that has that symbol listed on the Sumter Sanitation Schedule.
Not my site...... I would call the District. I just linked the info.

It says:
All waste is transported to the Covanta Energy
From Waste Plant. Household waste is turned into
electricity, which powers homes locally. Sanitation
services are provided by cleaner and quieter
collection vehicles powered by Compressed National
Gas engines. Our collection vehicles provide
minimal noise and cleaner emissions
enhance and protect our environment. By
having more efficient services it reduces
carbon footprint, reduces wear and tear
on roads, less fuel is used, and minimizes
traffic in your quiet neighborhood.

Not my circus..... not my monkeys!
Old 01-06-2020, 09:18 AM
Sage

Thanks for the info. This sounds like a more proper use for recyclables versus shipping them to China.
Closed Thread

Tags
recycling, find, clear, bags, required

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.