Recycling Help

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2020, 07:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Not my site...... I would call the District. I just linked the info.

It says:
All waste is transported to the Covanta Energy
From Waste Plant. Household waste is turned into
electricity, which powers homes locally. Sanitation
services are provided by cleaner and quieter
collection vehicles powered by Compressed National
Gas engines. Our collection vehicles provide
minimal noise and cleaner emissions
enhance and protect our environment. By
having more efficient services it reduces
carbon footprint, reduces wear and tear
on roads, less fuel is used, and minimizes
traffic in your quiet neighborhood.

Not my circus..... not my monkeys!
So.....south of 44 has the new and improved waste management system. Thank you for the information. Electricity from household waste sounds like Doc Brown from "Back to the Future" powering his Delorian. WOW!
Old 03-02-2020, 12:29 AM

Thank you for this. We are closing at the end of March and this link answered all my questions.
Old 03-02-2020, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Thank you for this. We are closing at the end of March and this link answered all my questions.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I totally disagree with you. For one thing, googling recycle bags is not going to tell you everyone in The Villages who carries them. At least not without clicking on individual stores and doing another search. My Google search came up with only one clear answer and a bunch of stuff that's not really a recycle bag. So unless you're going to Walmart, you're going to miss Publix, Ace Hardware, and others who might carry them.

This forum is for helping others as well as getting and giving opinions. People ask for this kind of help all the time, and nobody objects. At least, not until now.

Quite ironic that asking for help from others on the site is "questionable use of the forum," but taking the time and making the effort to criticize...isn't.

Which, of course, begs the obvious question of..."what is the proper use of the forum and who gets to determine such?"

Old 03-02-2020, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
i have heard recycling was put on hold due to lack of facilities. i was also told trash is being sent to burn in some kind of energy-producing plant. maybe someone knows more about this trash to energy project?
Wondering if "Waste to Energy" will be the process for all The Villages in the future, not just south of 44.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
So.....south of 44 has the new and improved waste management system. Thank you for the information. Electricity from household waste sounds like Doc Brown from "Back to the Future" powering his Delorian. WOW!
Waste Management (the name of the company) is known for this. The Phoenix Open is sponsored by Waste Management, who does ALL the trash pickup and recycling for this golf tournament. It is a ZERO waste event; 100% of all trash is converted to electricity, recycled into other products, or composted (depending on the trash). 700,000 people worth of participants, visitors, sponsors, vendors, employees, and so on - producing all that trash, and it is ALL converted.

They do some of this here in the Villages. So if you see a WM truck picking up your garbage, it's a good thing. It means that at least some of the trash will be converted (some of it still ends up in a landfill in Georgia).
Old 03-02-2020, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

In Lake County you can get a sturdy plastic recycling tub, marked just for the purpose. Waste Management recognizes them. You can put your recycling stuff in ANY bag, including paper bags, or even small boxes (the empty boxes that contained all those garbage bags you bought on sale, empty cereal boxes will hold a week's worth of cat food cans, the bag you get from Outback Steakhouse take-out or Firehouse Subs will hold a week's worth of daily newspapers, for example). And then put those bags in the recycling tub and set the tub out on the appropriate corner of your lawn on the appropriate day. It's not a big tub but it will hold all your week's recycling just fine.

The clear plastic bag thing is for Waste Management, so they know that the stuff in the bag really is recycling and not garbage. The plastic recycling tub serves the same purpose but is much more hygienic and less unattractive.
Old 03-02-2020, 12:33 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

The North Sumter County Utility Dependent District (NSCUDD) will hold a Special Workshop on Friday, March 27, 2020 at 9:00 a.m. at the SeaBreeze Recreation Center (Destin/Clearwater Rooms) to review and discuss the long-term Solid Waste Management Plan (SWMP) to address the disposal of solid waste and recycling.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NSCUDD SWMP 3.27.20 (1).pdf (228.4 KB, 202 views)
Closed Thread

Tags
recycling, find, clear, bags, required

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.