Town squares and question about Lake Sumter

Closed Thread
Old 01-08-2012, 07:35 AM
Default Town squares and question about Lake Sumter

I look at the town square cams frequently. Spanish Springs seems to have more activity than Lake Sumter. Is that correct?
Also, how deep is Lake Sumter?
Old 01-08-2012, 08:57 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader58 View Post
I look at the town square cams frequently. Spanish Springs seems to have more activity than Lake Sumter. Is that correct?
What you're seeing can be more perception than reality because of the positioning of the cams. You'll notice at SS that you can see a broader view that within includes people that are coming or going, the vehicular traffic that flows about the square as well as vehicles parked. At LSL it's pretty much the center of the square and not much more.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 01-08-2012, 09:08 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
thWhat you're seeing can be more perception than reality because of the positioning of the cams. You'll notice at SS that you can see a broader view that within includes people that are coming or going, the vehicular traffic that flows about the square as well as vehicles parked. At LSL it's pretty much the center of the square and not much more.
And..... I don't know how deep the lake is, but it appears to be down about 6 to 10 feet because we haven't had any rain.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 01-08-2012, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

lake Sumter is very shallow. I do not know the exact depth, but have heard one could walk across any part of it anytime during high or low levels.

Lake Miona I have heard is no more than 8 feet deep in the middle.

All the above is third+ hand.

btk
Old 01-08-2012, 10:30 AM
Platinum member

Just perception but I believe that there is more activity at LSL - more stores, restaurants, and people. The new Paneras at LSL is always busy.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Sage

On the Lake Sumter boat tours, they tell you that Lake Sumter is spring-fed and is about 12 feet at the deepest point.

There are lots of bass in the lake but it is private lake and fishing is prohibited. Also some very nice sized alligators in the lake. Always a shame to see people feeding the gators. That stupid practice basically signs a death warrant for the gator since it will associate people with food and someone will report a mean gator when it crawls on a back yard looking for food.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:50 PM
Default Lake

About a month ago we took the Lifestyle package and was told that the lake was 8 feet deep.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
On the Lake Sumter boat tours, they tell you that Lake Sumter is spring-fed and is about 12 feet at the deepest point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmpat View Post
About a month ago we took the Lifestyle package and was told that the lake was 8 feet deep.
12'? 8'? Sounds like it might depend on how tall or short the informer is!
Old 01-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
Just perception but I believe that there is more activity at LSL - more stores, restaurants, and people. The new Paneras at LSL is always busy.
According to the Shopping and Dining Maps, LSL has about 70 retail establishments and SS has about 52. However, La Plaza Grande is adjacent to Spanish Springs and has about 54 establishments.

And, this doesn't include Rolling Acres Plaza adjacent to La Plaza Grande and the other plaza adjacent to Rolling Acres to the South.

My take is that the contiguous SS shopping area has maybe three or four times the retail establishments as LSL.

http://www.thevillages.com/lifestyle...gdiningmap.asp

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 01-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader58 View Post

I would guess that LSL has more activity IN THE SQUARE than SS and the median age would be lower than SS.

Also, I have looked many times and never seen a gator in Lake Sumter near LSL - not saying it doesn't happen every day, just that I haven't ever seen one.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 01-09-2012, 11:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

We go to both squares and it depends on who the entertainment is as to how crowded the square is. Generally, we find SS more crowded but I think that is based on perception. The dance area is smaller at SS so it appears more populated. LSL has a larger dance area so....well, you get my drift.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
I would guess that LSL has more activity IN THE SQUARE than SS and the median age would be lower than SS.

Also, I have looked many times and never seen a gator in Lake Sumter near LSL - not saying it doesn't happen every day, just that I haven't ever seen one.

I have seen an alligator from the boardwalk around the lake twice in this year. The first time was in May and the second time was in August. We had company with us is how I remember. Both 'gators were big and swimming within spitting distance of the walkway behind the radio station.

I think the regulars at SS square are older than the regulars at LSL. That has been my observation when going to either square. It makes sense since SS is the older, more established square. I think there are usually more people dancing at SS though. I dunno.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:22 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
I think the regulars at SS square are older than the regulars at LSL.
That observation mean that the regulars at Brownwood when it's built will be even younger?
Old 01-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Sage
Smile

Spanish Springs also draws from a more populated area along 441/27, and Brownwood will draw from an even larger population in Wildwood/Leesburg and all points in between along 44.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:58 PM

ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.