Recycling in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 09-30-2020, 11:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Just realized we do not even use aluminum cans these days.

Much more glass bottles like wine bottles, jars of salad dressing etc.

Wonder who would take those.
Check your local crafters' guild (I hope Florida has those? If not, they should. Great idea to get one started if you're interested).

There are artisans who "repurpose" all kinds of glass containers and other glass objects. Turning wine bottles into beautifully hand-painted candle holders, gallon jugs into patio planters, colored glass into mosaic tops for tables made out of reclaimed wood, etc.

I personally have bought six Oui yogurts, just because I liked the glass jars they come in. I now have a full set of matching juice glasses as a result. I didn't own any juice glasses until then.

Can use them for pudding cups too but you can't put these glasses in the oven or microwave - they'll break. They ARE, however, dishwasher safe.

You can find other uses for them too, without changing them at all. Paper clip containers, golf pencil holder (they're not big enough for much longer than that), etc.

Talenti gelato jars are perfect for workshops - nails, screws, washers, hinges, all the little doodads that workshops have - all separated by category and size, and each container stacked neatly in rows. SInce the jars are 100 see-through, you don't have to open a drawer to find out what's inside. You only have to look.

The gelato jars are also great for holding cotton balls, cotton swabs, make up brushes. And you can paint them to obscure the print and make it your own cheerful design.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
Nice rant, but if everyone had been following the reasoning, the for change The Villages makes sense. Recycle processors in China were the main destination for the US’s recycling products. China quit taking product from the US or accepted the product and dumped it in the ocean. Because there was/is no market for recycling our recycling was ending up in a landfill. Not much good going on with that. Just more mountains of trash in central Florida or Georgia.

At least with the trash to energy program the volume is being greatly reduced and electricity is being generated. Is it perfect? No, but is a damn site better than our trash going directly into a land fill. I understand that this process can and will remove metal which will then be recycled.

Some churches are still accepting newspaper, magazines, and paper. Publix is still accepting Styrofoam and plastic bags. There are ways to continue to recycle. And as with other posters, look for way to reduce your usage.

The one thing I haven’t seen anyone suggesting is we return to the days of reusable milk jugs, beer bottles, soda bottles, etc. Why, it cost a lot more and no one is willing to pay the price!
I definitely agree with most of that. Reusing all, or most glass seems very logical. Remember gram always reminding me to "set out the wood crate that held the milk bottles and the cream bottle". She'd put a note on it with what to leave in place of the empties. But I suppose the cost of serializing them was high, etc. Don't think people today would ever consider most things, but.... perhaps the huge, thick, laundry detergent containers we used could be reused or refilled ? It just seems so much easier to NOT do all this doesn't it.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by popbaby2 View Post
If you only shop every 3 or 4 days or more, the bags don’t need Washing. Covid doesnt live that long on them. But if you are still worried about it, have several that you swap out every other time you shop. I personally use the green “grab bags” which hold the equivalent of 5 or 6 grocery bags, and have several of them. They are fabulous, and amazingly not too heavy to bring into the house.
Covid isn't the only thing you have to worry about with re-useable bags. Many people say "oh just toss it all in the bag" to the bag person (the vulgarity filter doesn't like the word b.a.g.g.e.r) at the supermarket, even when the bag person points out that they're asking to put wrapped raw (very juicy) chicken in with (very juicy) cut watermelon chunks. Cross-contamination festering in a re-useable bag is basically a petri dish of bacteria, the least of which is salmonella.

It's important to wash re-useable bags regularly.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Who is buying recycle materials?
Thanks to those who are posting recycle locations and suggestions ! Also have to mention, LOVE the Orwell quote above ! Maybe it's time we put Orwell back on the college, and high school reading lists ? Speaking of writers that stimulate thinking and discussion, anyone else ever read any of French Sy-fi writer Raspail's works ? Difficult to find translations of some of them, but worth the search. Tremendous rhetorician like Orwell.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygolfer93 View Post
I definitely agree with most of that. Reusing all, or most glass seems very logical. Remember gram always reminding me to "set out the wood crate that held the milk bottles and the cream bottle". She'd put a note on it with what to leave in place of the empties. But I suppose the cost of serializing them was high, etc. Don't think people today would ever consider most things, but.... perhaps the huge, thick, laundry detergent containers we used could be reused or refilled ? It just seems so much easier to NOT do all this doesn't it.
It has become, "Pick your type of recycling". Some are more popular than others. We use leftovers, often wear older clothes. Hubs has a bunch of little garage odds and ends stored in red plastic coffee cans. One of my older friends here knew that a butterfly bush was going to be torn up and discarded when her daughter got a swimming pool and called me to rescue it. I do think most people are aware of being careful of the earth and of the environment, no matter how they vote. I am getting tired of some things being beat to death that no one can change. Again. We all use motor cars. Industrialization has halved poverty and hunger since the 1990's. Look it up. There is no pat answer and a lot of this is people trying to be more virtuous than the other. I am impatient with that sometimes.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:18 PM

[QUOTE=Dilligas;1840849]The net bags will alsSynonyms: cunning, crafty, intriguing, wily, artful, sly, subtle, arch, deep, machiavelian.

Last edited by Ladygolfer93; 09-30-2020 at 01:20 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-30-2020, 01:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Put them in the regular trash can No need to sort as it's all going to get burned at the plant
Old 09-30-2020, 05:43 PM

Don’t be too sick about not being able to “recycle” anymore. I’m not sure how much was actually being recycled. My brother-in-law in Illinois worked for a large refuse company and he said a lot of recycle pickups actually went to the dump. I would rather see it burned.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:16 PM

The new trash/recycling program begins tomorrow October 1st. The recycling program was not profitable and caused many headaches for the workers/companies involved. Now everything will go to a burning facility called Corvana. Our burned trash/recycling will go to Duke Energy to be used as electricity. All your trash/recycling will go into one bag, any color but red can be used. Red is a biohazard bag. I use the black lawn/leaf bags. I called this week and you can use up your clear recycling bags also. There are 2 days the trash will be picked up e.g. Monday and Thursday which are my days. If your 2 days of pickup are changing a notice on your front door will be attached. If you don't get this notice your 2days of pickup remain the same. Your yard waste goes into the same large paper bags and will also be picked up on the same 2 days your trash bags are picked up. You can go to districtgov.org to find out more information. Sumter Sanitation is 352-748-0109.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckbenjamin View Post
Consumer Recycling. Since recycling is now history in TV I thought the following might help. Here's a link to what Publix will and will not take as well as HOW to prepare your items for recycling. Did you know you need to cut the 'zipper' off resealable bags? I didn't.

Customer Recycling | Publix Sustainability

With that said...Could someone please enlighten me as to where I might recycle aluminum and glass?

Let's start using re-usable bags, too not only @ grocery but everywhere we shop. And please quit buying bottled water. What a waste of $$ and resources. If you don't want to invest in a whole house filtration system, why not get a Brita or similar? I buy 3-5 gallon party containers @ Walmart and use them to store filtered water in refrigerator. They're handy for hurricane season, too.
From what I've been reading there is still one small section of the villages, the historical area, that will still be recycling.

I will know for sure when I get my trash pickup on Monday.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgodin View Post
From what I've been reading there is still one small section of the villages, the historical area, that will still be recycling.

I will know for sure when I get my trash pickup on Monday.
Recycling is still going on, it's just being done with a single stream now instead of separating everything. Check out Home | Covanta
Old 10-01-2020, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Florida is so low and flat, wouldn't it be a good idea to keep filling land fills? After all, who wouldn't want mountains in Florida?
Old 10-01-2020, 09:17 AM

I put everything through my blender then make soup.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
Recycling is still going on, it's just being done with a single stream now instead of separating everything. Check out Home | Covanta
Actually "Single-stream recycling" is what we used to have. Now it will be waste to energy and metals will be recovered and recycled.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:56 PM
Default Continued recycling

As time passes will the "people in-the-know" please report which places that formerly accepted recycled materials have continued to do so? Will Publix and Wal-mart continue to have those receptacles for plastic bags etc? Will St. Timothy's continue to have those bins for newspaper? I just have a hard time discontinuing all of the recycling that many sources have gotten me in the habit of conserving.

Tags
recycling, bags, water, bottled, resources

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.