Recycling-Why some people

Closed Thread
Old 04-25-2011, 05:48 PM
Bosoxfan
Default Recycling-Why some people

don't take the few extra minutes to help the future of this planet is a mystery!I live in a relatively new neighborhood so maybe it's not like this all over the villages but I don't see many people putting out a seperate bag for their recycleable trash.I have a neice who just turned 18 & she would be extremely hurt if I didn't . So please folks seperate your trash for future generations!!
Old 04-25-2011, 06:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

One of my neighbors, a snow bird for 5 years, saw me putting out the bag with the newspapers. He asked if I was recycling, I said yes, his reply........well I didn't know we had recycling! So, maybe folks in the new villages just don't know.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:32 PM

I have a problem with providing an additional PLASTIC bag just to recycle.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:35 PM
Veteran member

We live in the Historic side and we actually have bins for our recycling. Looks like everyone on our street does it.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Sage

In our area of CA we have a small brown cart on rollers for garbage, a large blue cart (maybe three times the size of the brown one) for recycle items and an even larger green cart (maybe 1 1/2 times larger than the blue one) for yard clippings etc.

We (just two of us) usually fill the recycle and garbage carts each week.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 04-25-2011, 07:45 PM
nkrifats

Living in the Liberty Park area, I was not aware of the recycle efforts and how it worked or what day. Finally was able to find out. Bins like we have here in RI would encourage me to be more on top of this instead of a separate bag.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:59 PM
Veteran member

We have a large trash can in our garage that the recycling bag fits in. It works really well for us---fill it up with newspapers, cans, plastic, etc.., ---put it out on recycling day and away it goes! Really like it better than the bin that we had in Virginia---has a lid on it--so we can keep it covered. Not real sure about the plastic bag going with the recycling but that is the "rules."
Old 04-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Thumbs down

I wish we had the plastic bins, like we did in Michigan.
Much easier than a clear plastic bag we have to use here.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:16 PM
Gold member
Default added a trash/recycling cabinet

We got one of those trash/recycling converters for one of our cabinets beside the kitchen sink. Keep the newspapers and large flat things (flattened cereal boxes, etc) in the pantry and add those to the plastic bag on recycling night. We have twice the recycling stuff as trash.

Yes, I wish it was a reusable bin instead of a clear plastic bag, but better than nothing. Before we added the cabinet, we had an extra trash can in the pantry for the recycled stuff. The cabinet works much better and wasn't that expensive or hard to install.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT View Post
I have a problem with providing an additional PLASTIC bag just to recycle.
Then use a paper bag!
Old 04-25-2011, 08:19 PM
Gold member
Default Must use plastic

You can't use a paper bag, must use a clear plastic one. Paper would be picked up as trash, and not recycled.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:41 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
don't take the few extra minutes to help the future of this planet is a mystery!I live in a relatively new neighborhood so maybe it's not like this all over the villages but I don't see many people putting out a seperate bag for their recycleable trash.I have a neice who just turned 18 & she would be extremely hurt if I didn't . So please folks seperate your trash for future generations!!
OK.... Please help me out here.. The Village in which I live is in Unincorporated Sumter County...and ...Sumter County does NOT do the recycling thing. Anyone know how we can do recycling in this portion of Villages? Maybe the trash collector company that does our village, does the recycling thing anyway????? I was NOT aware that we even had Recycling here....I was told they had recycling in The Villages which are located within the City of Lady Lake, those in Unincorporated Lake County, those in Unincorporated Marion County and the newer Villages which are located within the City of Wildwood.. but not those in Unincorporated Sumter County... However, it is NOT unusual for me to not listen properly.------or at least that is what the lovely lady in the house tells me. ( I do hope that I got that part correct)......Would luv to recycle.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:48 PM
Platinum member

In the Village of Pennecamp which is Sumter County our trash days are Monday & Thursday and our recycling day is Thursday. Why they use a clear PLASTIC bag for recycling stumps me but I comply.
Nancy
Old 04-25-2011, 09:09 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynan View Post
In the Village of Pennecamp which is Sumter County our trash days are Monday & Thursday and our recycling day is Thursday. Why they use a clear PLASTIC bag for recycling stumps me but I comply.
Nancy
Thank You......I do now believe that I too WILL be able to recycle at curbside. I must have mis-interpreted ( once again ) what I THOUGHT was said. On the subject on the Plastic Bins, in lieu of the clear plastic bags.......I THINK it was said that the plastic bins could be considered a hazard in WINDY conditions ...( ending up in streets,etc.) But that is ONLY what I THINK I heard.......
Old 04-25-2011, 09:27 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybill2 View Post
We have a large trash can in our garage that the recycling bag fits in. It works really well for us---fill it up with newspapers, cans, plastic, etc.., ---put it out on recycling day and away it goes! Really like it better than the bin that we had in Virginia---has a lid on it--so we can keep it covered. Not real sure about the plastic bag going with the recycling but that is the "rules."
That's exactly how we do it.We rinse anything that needs rinsing which helps keep any smell out of our garage.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.