Day spa and salon--beware-over price

Old 03-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Default Day spa and salon--beware-over price

Today i made an appointment with Tuscany Day Spa and Salon in Lake Sumter Landing:
I was quoted $37.00 for a partial perm. The lady on the telephone told me their prices were ala-carte--There was no mention of any additional charges with the perm-- I asked the price for a hair cut and style and was quoted the price. They made an appointment for me today at 10:15 due to a cancelation this morning--there was no mention of any additional charges.
I was very satisfied with the service, paid my bill and returned home to find they charged me an additional $32.00 for a
"shampoo/finish"---I did not have a shampoo or finish to my hair--I left with my hair wet and made an appointment for the 16th of the month for a cut and style.. When I called them to dispute the additional charge, they were rude and said they had explained to me the services were "ala-carte" and they had every right to charge me the additional amount" " their explanation was they put product on my hair and washed it off!"

beware of this practice--no other salon charges for rinsing the perm. solution off of your hair--I asked why they did not quote me $69.00 for the perm and be done with it? They said this is not their way of doing business--has any one encountered this sort of pricing from a beauty salon?
They have lost my business forever !
SUSAN JOHNSON-DORAN
southwood villas
WE HAVE BEEN IN THE VILLAGES FOR ONE YEAR AND I HAVE BEEN TO SEVERAL SALONS IN CENTRAL FLORIDA AND NEVER ENCOUNTERED THIS PRICING PRACTICE?
IN CALIFORNIA WHERE I LIVED MOST OF MY LIFE --A SALON GAVE YOU A PRICE AND THAT IS WHAT YOU PAID!

Last edited by doran; 03-05-2013 at 10:22 AM.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Sage

Do you mean that you paid the extra $32 without looking at your bill? If you knew the price was somewhere around $39, why would you have signed your credit slip for $69? I am presuming you paid with a credit card and not cash. If you had brought it right to their attention at the time of paying, the outcome might have been to your favor.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:51 PM
Platinum member

Setting aside whether you noticed the charge or not before you signed, any salon that makes a point of telling you that everything is a la carte, means just that and their own interpretation of that phrase is whatever it is, without regard to you.

I personally would not choose to go to any salon with this protocol. In my opinion, this practice is not conducive to fostering happy client relationships that endure, but evidently that is not a priority they are projecting, anyway.

If a salon's image depends on being haughty, chic or whatever you want to call it then the salon IN TOTAL AND those who work there had better absolutely look and live the part, graciously and perpetually. The place better look like the salon/spa at The Bellagio.
$$$ does not equal class. Attitude does not equal class. A la carte does not equal class.
In the end, your work better justify the $$$

I WAS an upscale salon owner for 15 years before I decided to retire. For 16 years prior to that I worked in the Gold Coast district of my metropolitan city. The fancy schmansy salons. You can't help but learn a thing or two. In the end, it is STILL a service industry.

I hope at least that your partial perm was done well.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post
Setting aside whether you noticed the charge or not before you signed, any salon that makes a point of telling you that everything is a la carte, means just that and their own interpretation of that phrase is whatever it is, without regard to you.

I personally would not choose to go to any salon with this protocol. In my opinion, this practice is not conducive to fostering happy client relationships that endure, but evidently that is not a priority they are projecting, anyway.

If a salon's image depends on being haughty, chic or whatever you want to call it then the salon IN TOTAL AND those who work there had better absolutely look and live the part, graciously and perpetually. The place better look like the salon/spa at The Bellagio.
$$$ does not equal class. Attitude does not equal class. A la carte does not equal class.
In the end, your work better justify the $$$

I WAS an upscale salon owner for 15 years before I decided to retire. For 16 years prior to that I worked in the Gold Coast district of my metropolitan city. The fancy schmansy salons. You can't help but learn a thing or two. In the end, it is STILL a service industry.

I hope at least that your partial perm was done well.
I agree with this poster that I "quoted". Just because a place advertises as a spa etc etc etc it better "deliver". We've lived here going on 4 years---I've yet to find a place I'm totally satisfied with that will cut my hair exactly as I ask. My hair is thick, fine and somewhat curly with several cowlicks. "IF" the stylist doesn't do a good job...it will show. Most times I can't tell til I get home and do it myself. I HATE it when a stylist tries to tell me something different than what I know to be true. That has happened here as well. I had a great stylist before we moved here, who explained everything to me. She charged fairly and the salon where she worked was considered upscale (Aveda). There were never surprises!! I have had a couple of experiences here where there was a surprises upon payment!!!

Old 03-03-2013, 01:45 PM
Platinum member

When I first moved here I tried to make an appointment at that "spa" but couldn't get beyond the attitude. First problem was the list of rules (check out their website), I resented being treated like a shack dwelling philistine. They also wanted a credit card to guarantee the appointment, I just don't do that sort of thing.

They could possibly give a good cut, never found out.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty55 View Post
When I first moved here I tried to make an appointment at that "spa" but couldn't get beyond the attitude. First problem was the list of rules (check out their website), I resented being treated like a shack dwelling philistine. They also wanted a credit card to guarantee the appointment, I just don't do that sort of thing.

Too funny, Patty 55.

I had a bit of a runaround with Urban (across from Wamart). Ihad received a coupon for a free haircut. I needed cut and color. They would not take the price of the cut off of the total because they said the cut comes automatically with the color--or some da** dumb thing. So I gave the coupon to my friend who only wanted a cut, but they wouln't honor it because they said it was "too old," despite the fact that the coupon had no expiration date. (It did have a date, but it was the date issued, and no mention of any expiration).

I would no longer use this place except they are the only ones arount TV that use Wella haircoloring, a that is the only coloring that will completely cover my coarse, very gray hair.

My friend had some issues with a salon who made appointments but also took walk-ins, and she and her mother walked out after waiting 45 minutes past their appointment time because their stylists were both donig walk-ins.

It seems as if the almighty dollar comes first with some hair salons down here, as opposed to customer service.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty55 View Post

I am trying to find out what a "shack dwelling philistine" is.

I know for sure that some posters on here could be one.

It has a nice ring to it.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Location: Living in the Villages after 26 years on the Upper Westside of Manhattan!

While I have never used their hair salon services, I have been to the Tuscany Day Spa on many occasions including just last week when I treated my future daughter-in-law to a hot stone massage and I had a delightful spa pedicure. I have always been treated with the utmost respect and even pampering. I am so happy that a place like this exists in the Villages!
formerly of Manhattan and weekends on the Jersey Shore--now living the dream in Caroline!

Old 03-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Location: Ft. Lauderdale - New Castle,PA - Overland Park, KS - Palm Bay, FL - Village of Charlotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I agree with this poster that I "quoted". Just because a place advertises as a spa etc etc etc it better "deliver". We've lived here going on 4 years---I've yet to find a place I'm totally satisfied with that will cut my hair exactly as I ask. My hair is thick, fine and somewhat curly with several cowlicks. "IF" the stylist doesn't do a good job...it will show. Most times I can't tell til I get home and do it myself. I HATE it when a stylist tries to tell me something different than what I know to be true. That has happened here as well. I had a great stylist before we moved here, who explained everything to me. She charged fairly and the salon where she worked was considered upscale (Aveda). There were never surprises!! I have had a couple of experiences here where there was a surprises upon payment!!!
NotGolfer - I have had exactly the same experience as you. I have gotten my hair cut / colored 3 times since I moved here and I have NOT gotten the haircut that I asked for yet. All three stylists gave me a layered/feathered style. I try to tell them but can't really tell how it turns out until I get home and do it myself. Not only that the prices for cuts/styles here are ridiculous. Finally, I don't like an add-on that I didn't ask for.

I am done venting.

Last edited by Scoops; 03-03-2013 at 02:47 PM. Reason: error

Old 03-03-2013, 03:05 PM
Veteran member

I had a similar experience at the salon in Colony Plaza. I never heard of "tiered pricing"...and I learned the hard way. I brought my haircolor "recipe" with me from my salon in NYC. It didn't matter...the "Level 7" operator knew what was "best" for my hairtype and the color was horrendous. I complained. The fix was equally horrible. I ended up having my hair cut to within 2 inches of my scalp, let the color grow out (the cuts were good!) and finally gave up on the place when I was charged $26 for a blow out which I specifically declined. I refused to pay. Who needs a blow out on 2" worth of hair? Anyway, lesson learned. Unfortunately, I haven't had a really good haircut in over a year, no matter where I've gone.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:49 PM
Sage

yes I really like the expression "shack-dwelling philistine." I'm looking forward to using that one.
Ecclesiasites 3:12

Old 03-03-2013, 05:38 PM
Platinum member

Ladies, most of us at this age know what our hair will and will not do.
Here are a few hints (in no particular order) when searching for a new stylist:

1) Take a look at your neighbors and friends. Do they have hair like yours?
(coarse, fine, curly, etc) If you like the way their hair looks, ask them who they go to. It's somewhere to start. Do you like their cut? Color? Take a picture of them and print it out on computer paper. Repeat, PRINT it out. 8x10 if you can, front, back and side view. VISUALS are the best, once you are in the salon, even if they are celebrity cuts from the internet. But they have to be good sized and clear, or the stylist is left to guess the details.

2) If you want a certain brand of hair color, ASK before you make the appointment if they USE that brand. Get a yes or no. Then ask if they have your color # in stock. Request that the brand/color #info be noted on the appointment schedule. Some places, like Aveda salons will only use Aveda products. It is corporate policy.
If you get there and they do not have your product as agreed, cancel your appointment immediately and leave.

3) Pay attention when you are getting your service. Ask to sit FACING the mirror. If the stylist is lopping your bangs and that is not what you want, you have a chance to stop and correct her.

4) Try your best to be realistic and clear about what you are asking for. Listen to yourself as you speak. Don't use vague terms, like 'feathering', 'sort of' or 'straight-ish'.

5) BEFORE you begin, briefly confirm the agenda with the stylist. Example: "I would like a chin length bob with bangs touching my eyebrows."
or "I am allergic to sulfites and have brought my own shampoo."

6) Always ask what your cost will be at the time you make the appointment. It is not rude to ask what that charge includes... or doesn't include.

I could probably come up with lots more. You are free to p.m. me if there is something I have not covered that you may want my meager insight on. I will answer as truthfully as I can.

Lastly Ladies, I DO NOT respect nor favor 'tiered pricing'. It is arrogant in my opinion to ask what level of expertise you are willing to pay for. I would hope that a Salon would give the best, personal service to EVERY client that walks in the door.

If there are stylists who are mediocre, they should be let go. If there is truly a unique and brilliant "star' of the salon, I assure you they would be moving up to the finest place their talent would take them and they wouldn't be in your neighborhood salon.
Expertise has nothing to do with how many years you have under your belt.
Being the owner does not automatically make you superior at your craft.
That stuff is baloney sausage.

Last edited by Uptown Girl; 03-03-2013 at 09:20 PM.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:24 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
yes I really like the expression "shack-dwelling philistine." I'm looking forward to using that one.
Just be careful, my niece got in trouble with her second grade teacher for cursing when she used it. I had to explain that the teacher was an insipid twit, then it was all good.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:03 PM
Sage
Default We are being taken advantage of.....

I, too, am having a hard time finding an affordable talented hair stylists. I was going to Root 466 and was very pleased with my hair cut but from the beginning I knew I was way over paying for my hair cut. It was a tier salon so you pay for the more experienced stylists. My particular stylist was part owner so her fee was high. I went 3 times and the third time when I checked out my price was 5.00 higher than the last time I went. I questioned it and they said my stylist just got moved up a level and according to them was hard to do in the company. I was never informed prior to my hair cut that it would be a higher price. I paid it and never rescheduled. While I was pleased with my cut I always felt taken advantage of due to the pricing. I'm now on the hunt for a good stylist who isn't going to rob me. I was paying 52.00 and I have pretty short hair. Add the tip and I was almost at 60.00. I just can't justify that kind of money for a 20 minute hair cut......

Old 03-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Uptown Girl, what would you consider to be the standard tip for a hairstylist down here? Up north it is generally 25%, but I really don't know what to do down here. I give the lady who washes my hair $5 and my hairdresser $20, which is about 25%. Am I over-tipping?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.