Refilling LP tanks

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2022, 09:20 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
coffeebean....10 years is the max for propane tanks for safety. I hope yours doesn't explode.
Yep, a stupid federal government regulation based solely on age with no regard to condition.

I recently tried to refill my 40 pound RV tank at Ace. They couldn't do it because it was 2 months past the 10 year cutoff. The tank has always been stored in the RV compartment and looks like new. Had to pay a place in Bellview $25 bucks to recertify it.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 07-01-2022, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedFoot78 View Post
Today, I filled my completely empty tank at Ace in Wildwood. It took 4.5 gal @ $4.39 per gal for $19.76. I have two tanks since I ran out during a long cook. I also use Ace to fill the propane tank on my RV.
WingedFoot,

Just looking at the 4.5 gallon LPG fill in a 5 gallon tank would suggest that the tank is filled beyond the 80% max fill point. I do not believe that the tank was overfilled.
I believe that at least 0.5 gallon of LPG was used to purge the new tank to make it suitable for LPG use. The discussion below provides the logic and background information.

Reading between the lines, I believe that your "completely empty tank" was a new never used in LPG service 5 gallon tank. New tanks are usually shipped filled with compressed air. They need to be purged of air and filled with LPG vapor before they can be filled with LPG liquid.

I assume that ACE has procedures to do the purging using vapor LPG and follows them. I also assume that your tank is equipped with an Overfill Protection Device (OPD) which is required on the LPG tank. This can be verified by reading all of the stamped information on the LPG tank or more easily by looking at the tank on/off valve handle. The correct OPD handle is "triangular looking" and has 3 lobes on the handle.

My suggestion is to check the handle to verify OPD is there. If you have questions send me a PM
Old 07-01-2022, 01:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ton80 View Post
WingedFoot,

Just looking at the 4.5 gallon LPG fill in a 5 gallon tank would suggest that the tank is filled beyond the 80% max fill point. I do not believe that the tank was overfilled.
I believe that at least 0.5 gallon of LPG was used to purge the new tank to make it suitable for LPG use. The discussion below provides the logic and background information.

Reading between the lines, I believe that your "completely empty tank" was a new never used in LPG service 5 gallon tank. New tanks are usually shipped filled with compressed air. They need to be purged of air and filled with LPG vapor before they can be filled with LPG liquid.

I assume that ACE has procedures to do the purging using vapor LPG and follows them. I also assume that your tank is equipped with an Overfill Protection Device (OPD) which is required on the LPG tank. This can be verified by reading all of the stamped information on the LPG tank or more easily by looking at the tank on/off valve handle. The correct OPD handle is "triangular looking" and has 3 lobes on the handle.

My suggestion is to check the handle to verify OPD is there. If you have questions send me a PM
I wonder if that is correct.

A 20lb propane tank is marked with a capacity of 47.6lbs of water
47.6lbs = 5.95 gals of water
5.95 gals water = 0.79 cu ft
0.79 cu ft = 24.4 lbs propane
80% of 24.4 lbs propane = 19.54 lbs propane (Perhaps "20lbs" *is* the 80% mark)
19.54 lbs propane = 4.75 gals.

A tank marked as holding 47.6lbs of water should be 80% full with 4.7gals of propane.

In any case, I don't care how much they put in as long as I'm paying by the gallon. 15lbs (3.6gals) in a BlueRhino for $23 (guess) would be about $6.38/gal compared to $4.39/gal at ACE. However, there is a lot to be said for the convenience of just exchanging tanks.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Last edited by Bill14564; 07-01-2022 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-08-2022, 07:04 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillages2013 View Post
Most Ace Hardware stores refill but not the Ace on 441 at Avenida Central. I went over there on a Sunday ( because the Ace on Wedgewood is closed) ASSUMING they filled LP tanks and left very disappointed!
Update on this post! I was at the Ace in Spanish Springs area today and they now have signs stating LEAVE YOUR PROPANE TANK OUTSIDE . Assuming they have gotten approved to fill propane tanks there now
Old 07-10-2022, 08:36 PM

Do you still have your tank for sale? How old is it? Any rust on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdwatch View Post
I have a tank for sale $30. Good condition and partially filled. You can take a look and decide. Good deal for $30.00
Djfelt66@gmail.com
Closed Thread

Tags
tank, filled, refilling, exchange, paying

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.