Refinancing existing home

Closed Thread
Old 05-19-2020, 04:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyVet View Post
It all depends on one's individual circumstances. Personally, we liked the peace of mind of not owing anyone anything. We're on our third home here; we did 2 with bridge loans, 1 with traditional 15 year mortgage, paid off all 3 within a year of when previous house sold. Also, we pay off cc balance in full every month, never had a car loan more than 3 years. I guess we just really hate paying interest. For us, living debt free and finally not worrying about money all the time is a comforting feeling. We have what we need.
Have always followed basic principles of budgeting, saving/investing:
Pay yourself first.
Live beneath your means.
Dollar cost averaging.
Don't take on more than you can afford.
Agree 100%
Old 05-19-2020, 04:28 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpascani View Post
I don't know what this HELOC (I think it is you typed) is, but, we just bought our home last Nov, over age 70, and had no problem securing a 30yr fixed. We wanted the "more than necessary down, for lower monthy note" route, as you are considering. We also went with First Citizen (I think it's called...the one here in TV), and got an extra discount on interest at veteran. Also some sort of savings for opening a checking account with them.
HELOC = Home Equity Line Of Credit

What is a Home Equity Line of Credit and How Does it Work?
Old 05-19-2020, 04:33 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyVet View Post
It all depends on one's individual circumstances. Personally, we liked the peace of mind of not owing anyone anything. We're on our third home here; we did 2 with bridge loans, 1 with traditional 15 year mortgage, paid off all 3 within a year of when previous house sold. Also, we pay off cc balance in full every month, never had a car loan more than 3 years. I guess we just really hate paying interest. For us, living debt free and finally not worrying about money all the time is a comforting feeling. We have what we need.
Have always followed basic principles of budgeting, saving/investing:
Pay yourself first.
Live beneath your means.
Dollar cost averaging.
Don't take on more than you can afford.

Thank you for your service.
Thank you for your post.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:05 AM
Default This Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
Wow, 10 and 25 percent gain in the market? Which market is that?
This is from Barrons ....

The Dow Jones Industrial Average has risen 23% in 2019 after gaining 190.17 points, or 0.7%, to 28,645.26, this past week, while the S&P 500 index has gained 29% after rising 0.6%, to 3240.02, and the Nasdaq Composite has climbed 36% after finishing the week up 0.9%, at 9006.62.Dec 27, 2019

That is the STOCK MARKET, WALL STREET of course. Not your local grocery store.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:42 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseppe View Post
This is from Barrons ....

The Dow Jones Industrial Average has risen 23% in 2019 after gaining 190.17 points, or 0.7%, to 28,645.26, this past week, while the S&P 500 index has gained 29% after rising 0.6%, to 3240.02, and the Nasdaq Composite has climbed 36% after finishing the week up 0.9%, at 9006.62.Dec 27, 2019

That is the STOCK MARKET, WALL STREET of course. Not your local grocery store.
"The Dow Jones Industrial Average has risen 23% in 2019 after gaining 190.17 points, or 0.7%, to 28,645.26, this past week"

When was that written? Right now, the Dow is hovering around 24,500.
Cherry picking any two specific days, one could make the DOW look like it was up (or down) 50%.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:14 PM
Sage

How about calendar 2019? Here are the popular indices.

https://image.cnbcfm.com/api/v1/imag...20&w=740&h=416

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
"The Dow Jones Industrial Average has risen 23% in 2019 after gaining 190.17 points, or 0.7%, to 28,645.26, this past week"

When was that written? Right now, the Dow is hovering around 24,500.
Cherry picking any two specific days, one could make the DOW look like it was up (or down) 50%.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
OPM ( other People’s Money). If your investment make more than the current interest rate it’s a win. Your financial advisor should be more help then here
True , but risk factor on the investment is a critical part of the decision process, also. Consider the costs associated with a new mortgage. They amount to a reduction of the balance received and can affect the cost calculation of the funds received.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
We looked into refinancing but would have to pay $4000 in closing costs plus all the paperwork. Decided to pass it up.
Shop around with lenders not just for the new interest rate but also for closing costs. Also, some lenders let you roll the closing costs into the new mortgage, so you have no out-of-pocket costs. This plan of course means your new mortgage is a little higher than your old one, but with the extremely low rates available now, it’s still easily worth it to refinance with costs rolled in. Have a couple lenders run numbers for you.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
Recognizing that a larger than normal percentage of TV homes are purchased entirely with cash, I'm sure there are still plenty that although they didn't really need to, financed at least a portion (which we've been contemplating) of their purchase. While the thought of not having a monthly mortgage is very enticing, so is the idea of having a small and easily managed mortgage, while also having a healthy extra 6 figures in the bank.

I'm just curious, given the current low mortgage interest rates, if there are any people who have been thinking of refinancing and maybe taking out some equity built up since purchasing. The idea of even giving a 70 year old a 30 year mortgage is a thread in itself.LOL I can't help but think if there are some who have found their calculations of savings & investments in retirement aren't working out to what they thought they would be (due to higher costs, extended longevity or both), are looking to refinance to make up for it.

I believe I read that most banks aren't doing HELOC's right now, so I'm thinking that refinancing (even with closing and other costs) would be the only way to access cash in the equity built up in the last number of years.
For what it may be worth as a point of information : The average duration of a 30 year home mortgage has historically been about 7 years . This is why mortgage loans are priced off the 10 year Treasury .
Old 07-01-2020, 08:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecoralbill View Post
I'm thinking of doing this too, and I'm going to use "Citizens First" Bank, i believe it is owned by the Developer. Then when my house gets swallowed up by a SINKHOLE, I'll just be able to walk away.
Just like hurricanes and earthquakes and lightning strikes, we can't blame the developer for everything. The Boy Scouts motto is good here; Be Prepared. Save your money or get insurance.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecoralbill View Post
I'm thinking of doing this too, and I'm going to use "Citizens First" Bank, i believe it is owned by the Developer. Then when my house gets swallowed up by a SINKHOLE, I'll just be able to walk away.
Now that it is harder to itemize on tax return mortgages are not so good to have.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Vernon View Post
In my humble opinion age doesn't matter. The lower your overall debt the better for whatever may come your way. Good Luck and Stay Healthy.
Actually I disagree, the older you are the less you chance of having a mortgage for 30 years. Assuming your investments return more than the interest rate the amount you pay out will be significantly less if you die within the 30 years plus the profit on the property when your kids sell it. If you're in your 50's maybe a different calculation but mid 60's and older, the financial position will be strongly in your favor.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 07-01-2020, 10:02 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Actually I disagree, the older you are the less you chance of having a mortgage for 30 years. Assuming your investments return more than the interest rate the amount you pay out will be significantly less if you die within the 30 years plus the profit on the property when your kids sell it. If you're in your 50's maybe a different calculation but mid 60's and older, the financial position will be strongly in your favor.
Agreed.

Although the market swings have been pretty volatile of late and investment returns for years may not even surpass the really low interest rates of mortgages right now, I agree it's much nicer to have the substantially extra cash in the bank from not paying all cash and just have a partial mortgage instead.

Even with a minimum return on investment income, it will take more years than we probably have left for the cash saved to even come close to being equal to paying an $800-$1,000 a month mortgage payment. And even a modest increase in housing prices in the next 15-20 years, will most likely still leave the kids with lots of equity.

Last edited by tvbound; 07-01-2020 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:13 AM

On Monday (6/29) I actually did this drill.

When I purchased in TV in March, 2015, I put 20% down and got a 30 yr mortgage at 3.875% through Citizens First. I have not made any additional principal payments.

Several weeks ago I received an unsolicited mailing from Valley View Home Loans offering to refinance my mortgage pointing out that with historical lower rates, now could be the time. The letter had some fairly accurate info concerning my existing mortgage (they got fm public records), so I googled them for legitimacy, called them and talked.

I told them it was a second/vacation home, that my loan to value was about 57% (don't you love the appreciation), and I was only interested in lower rate, low closing costs rolled in and a lower payment. After normal discussion, the man I spoke with said based on the LTV, I would not need to pay for an appraisal and closing costs would run about $2,000. That he thought I could get 3% which would change my payments from $1,028 to $834, a decrease of $194/month-a payback time of less than a year. Taxes and insurance would not be escrow-ed.

My only hesitation is what's going to happen with Covid-19 - will I ever return!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
mortgage, refinancing, cash, idea, year

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.