Are registered vehicles allowed on the cart paths?

Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2008, 06:23 PM
Founder
Default Are registered vehicles allowed on the cart paths?

Today, one of those "street legal" golf carts followed me down Buena Vista at about 35 miles an hour. He then turned onto a cart path that ran parallel to the road. He maintained the same speed, keeping up with me until I stopped at a red light. It was a large vehicle and it sure looked like he was taking up a lot of the cart path.

Is there any restriction on street legal vehicles driving on the cart paths?
Old 01-14-2008, 06:29 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: Are registered vehicles allowed on the cart paths?

From what I've found out, registered vehicles are allowed on the paths. Jess's scooter is street legal, but it can be (and is) driven on the paths -- the idea of the scooter contending with golf carts is scary enough, contending with cars and trucks is horrifying. Obviously, if the golf cart does not have the proper tires, it cannot be driven on the paths for the golf courses.

So, guess we're back to the question of whether they can be ticketed on the paths. Maybe the next time you see one speeding on the path, you could call the County Sheriff and see what they say?

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-14-2008, 06:48 PM

On the north side with the narrow pathes they should stay on the street. One came at us yesterday and it went on the line not inside their line. Too wide.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Banned

It would seem that the purpose of the cart paths is for transit of golf carts (under 20MPV variety) ONLY. Logic says that's why the cart paths exist.

If one kind of "street-legal" vehicle can drive on those paths, then it would seem that ANY kind of street-legal vehicle should have access - cars, trucks, motorcycles, "carts," et cetera.

Looks like a good question for the maintainer of the cart paths.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

I don't understand what a street legal golf cart is, how big is it?

I'd think registered vehicles should not be on golf paths?
Old 01-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Taltarzac

This is from the Sumter County FL Ordinances.

"Sec. 17-3. Operation of golf cars.
(a) Golf carts are defined as a motor vehicle designed and manufactured for operation on a golf course for sporting or recreational purposes that is not capable of exceeding speeds of 20 miles per hour.
(b) Golf carts meeting the definition set forth in subsection (a) may be operated on those county roads or streets designated for golf cart usage through a resolution of the board of county commissioners. The resolution shall contain a determination that the golf carts may safely travel on or cross the designated roads or streets, and consider such factors as the speed, volume and character of the motor vehicle traffic using the road or street.
(c) The provision of appropriate signage designating such areas and regulating the use of golf carts shall be the responsibility of the director of public works.
(d) All golf carts operated upon properly designated roads and streets shall meet the minimum equipment standards established by the Florida Statutes. Golf carts may be operated, unless otherwise set by resolution, between the hours before sunrise and after sunset if equipped with, at a minimum, headlights, brake lights, turn signals, a windshield, and reflective devices on the sides of the golf cart that could include reflective tape. Golf carts that do not meet the minimum equipment standards for operation between the hours before sunrise and after sunset shall only be permitted to operate between sunrise and sunset.
(e) In no event shall this section authorize the operation of golf carts on roads or streets within the jurisdiction of the state or within the jurisdiction of any municipality.
(f) Golf carts that have been modified to exceed the speed of twenty (20) miles per hour shall not be considered golf carts under the provisions stated herein, and are not afforded the rights provided by this section.
(Ord. No. 2003-19, § 2, 10-28-03)"

I am not sure what this means but it seems to give the authorities power to really nail someone in a golf cart going 35 mph on a golf path.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS G Send a message via MSN to DENNIS G

Street legal carts are those that have a speed limit of 25 mph. They can be operated on any street that the speed limit is 35 mph or less. They can cross at an intersection where the cross street speed limit is higher. If there is a path along the street and the street speed limit is more than 35 mph they must use the cart path, i.e 466. It is nearly impossible to get a modified cart registered because it does not have a VIN number assigned by the factory. They only have a short serial number assigned. A VIN number is 17 digits long. If your cart does have a 17 digit VIN number, it is required to be registered, i.e. Club Car Pathway (No longer built). Gem cars, Star Think (Was Ford) and Par Car has one, I think it is the Summit.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:01 PM

I don't know if any Village Supervisors go to this site but it would be good to hear the official line. I am not sure if the Florida statutes apply to the Village Multi-Modal Pathways which are not "County Roads" ? It would certainly seem that if a street legal golf carts are allowed on cart paths then other street legal machines might also be allowed --- but which types?
There are many statements posted of what law officials can do to drivers of illegally operated golf carts but the practicallity of enforcing seems very difficult and so we are going to see frequent violations. I kept up with a "standard" electric cart down Belvedere last week at 29 - 30 mph (validated with my GPS) and what reason is there to believe that this speed would not be maintained wherever possible. Truth be known many might be a little envious ?
Old 01-20-2008, 02:49 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLICKB
I don't know if any Village Supervisors go to this site but it would be good to hear the official line. I am not sure if the Florida statutes apply to the Village Multi-Modal Pathways which are not "County Roads" ? It would certainly seem that if a street legal golf carts are allowed on cart paths then other street legal machines might also be allowed --- but which types?
There are many statements posted of what law officials can do to drivers of illegally operated golf carts but the practicallity of enforcing seems very difficult and so we are going to see frequent violations. I kept up with a "standard" electric cart down Belvedere last week at 29 - 30 mph (validated with my GPS) and what reason is there to believe that this speed would not be maintained wherever possible. Truth be known many might be a little envious ?
The laws do look awful murky but that often seems to be the case with out-of-the ordinary things like a community like the Villages with so many golf carts and golf trails.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:19 PM

We almost had a head-on with an NEV on the golf path. Scary!

mm
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.