Regulation code change for AC for Lanai & Garage????

Closed Thread
Old 01-15-2015, 07:07 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Don't you just love how THEY are worried about you wasting the energy you are paying for?
Oh, but the more expensive room improvement is MORE TAXABLE. How delicious that concept is to government spenders!
Old 01-15-2015, 08:21 PM
Platinum member

I wouldn't take a chance on installing a unit in hopes it will "slip through the cracks". It can come back and bite you. It could be years down the road when you, or your heirs, try to sell the house. It could happen at any time if a neighbor gets ticked off at you. Then their are the "condo commandos" who are on the prowl to make mischief.

Frankly, I see many instances where county codes and deed restrictions are being ignored. There may be a day of reckoning. I have seen it happen and it created a lot of unpleasantness.

Keep in mind we are talking County codes not just deed restrictions.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

Downeaster, you have some very good points to be considered.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:46 PM
Gold member

It is all about getting more money out of your pocket in the form of TAXES. All Govt has gotten overly greedy.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:48 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionelKing_43 View Post
The taxes aren't the issue. It would be the additional work involved being able to install the "mini split" my garage would become liveable space, from what I was told I would have to raise the floor to level with the foundation and remove the garage door ( so I would no longer have a garage to park my car. I was wondering if I can rally enough people in order to get the County bldg dept to maybe change the way the code is being interpreted.

It is all about Taxes! They want your $$$ Get real.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:28 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
The taxes aren't the issue. It would be the additional work involved being able to install the "mini split" my garage would become liveable space, from what I was told I would have to raise the floor to level with the foundation and remove the garage door ( so I would no longer have a garage to park my car. I was wondering if I can rally enough people in order to get the County bldg dept to maybe change the way the code is being interpreted.
Not a chance!!
Old 01-16-2015, 08:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member

The Government (state and federal) does a lot of this in one form or another. Building codes specify the minimum amount of insulation and the quality of the windows (from an energy efficiency point of view). There are also specifications on the minimum SEER level of the heat pumps. The Government also specifies the average minimum fuel efficiency of auto manufacturers' entire lines of cars. I am not sure about the regulations for energy efficiency for appliances. The trend is clear and it is for more regulations. Some of this stuff is good. Preventing someone from installing an AC in their garage seems a bit over the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Don't you just love how THEY are worried about you wasting the energy you are paying for?

Last edited by tuccillo; 01-16-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:05 AM

The regulations for A/C have not changed, areas like landis and garages have never been legal to air condition. The issue is the Mini Split units have until Jan 1, 2015 been classified as "dehumidifiers" not Air Conditioners so they could be installed almost anywhere. On Jan 1 the State of FL changed the classification from dehumidifiers to air conditioners resulting in the installation issues.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:41 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lknight33 View Post
....areas like landis and garages have never been legal to air condition....
Never been legal???
Old 01-16-2015, 11:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
The fact of the matter as I understand your intent is not to convert the space into living space.

One needs to be very specifically careful in how something is worded. Obviously based on your words above they have concluded you are trying to make the garage a livable area. Which is not your intent.

Instead of focusing on the needs of your body needing it to be more comfortable, just modify the request to moderate the garage temperature to prevent heat and cold damage to your collectible trains/vintage cars, etc.
Hence eliminating the ambiguity potential of you creating a more livable space.

Or any other similar presentation other than creature comfort. I have friends that have their garages air conditioned that house vintage automobiles. Yes it is a valid position of preservation need.

Clerks and the like can only go by what it is they hear from the requestor!!
Old 01-16-2015, 11:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Ahh, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lknight33 View Post
The regulations for A/C have not changed, areas like landis and garages have never been legal to air condition. The issue is the Mini Split units have until Jan 1, 2015 been classified as "dehumidifiers" not Air Conditioners so they could be installed almost anywhere. On Jan 1 the State of FL changed the classification from dehumidifiers to air conditioners resulting in the installation issues.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

Billethkid,

VERY GOOD points, I will keep this in mind, as I have antique cars.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
The fact of the matter as I understand your intent is not to convert the space into living space.

One needs to be very specifically careful in how something is worded. Obviously based on your words above they have concluded you are trying to make the garage a livable area. Which is not your intent.

Instead of focusing on the needs of your body needing it to be more comfortable, just modify the request to moderate the garage temperature to prevent heat and cold damage to your collectible trains/vintage cars, etc.
Hence eliminating the ambiguity potential of you creating a more livable space.

Or any other similar presentation other than creature comfort. I have friends that have their garages air conditioned that house vintage automobiles. Yes it is a valid position of preservation need.

Clerks and the like can only go by what it is they hear from the requestor!!
..... If worse comes to worse, could you possibly just put a small window unit in the garage window. Hopefully no one would have a problem with that. No one meaning the neighbors.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPGuar View Post
..... If worse comes to worse, could you possibly just put a small window unit in the garage window. Hopefully no one would have a problem with that. No one meaning the neighbors.
I would give that option about 15 minutes before someone called and reported this infraction. Your mini-split is your best option. No one will even know.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:19 PM
Gold member

If you condition the garage ,insulate the ceiling above it . Cooling a ceiling without insulation will cause the very hot humid air to form condensation in the ceiling, leading to mold.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.