Relay for Life/Moffit Revisited

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Veteran member
Exclamation Relay for Life/Moffit Revisited

This doesn't say it all but it says enough.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...4248287.column
Old 02-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

From my understandings, the article is pretty accurate. There is one thing, though, that is not mentioned. The high school denied access to Relay for Life this year because they were doing some track work. So, not having the Relay for Life at the high school truly had nothing to do with Moffitt or the Morses. At least they're innocent on that front.

That the Polo Fields wasn't offered, however, truly stunned me. That there was the demand for 50% of the proceeds sickened me. That Moffitt itself seemed to have little knowledge of the extortion-like tactics surprised me. It should be interesting to see what develops with "talks" between Morse and Moffitt. Something tells me that Moffitt doesn't want to be tarred with this brush at all.

I have noticed that events for Savannah no longer seem to have words to the effect that part of the proceeds will go to Moffitt. Makes me wonder if that is no longer happening or if it's just happening but we're not being told.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts
Default Everybody that reads the article should make a copy

and send it to Gary Morse thanking him for the 50-50 or get out proposal.
Thank him for cutting the legs out from under what he thought was a great event, Relay for life, because it brought accolades to TV.

I don't care what side of the Moffitt issue you are on...the way the Relay for life event and it's organizers was/is inappropriate, unprofessional and very contrary to what TV would have all visitors believe....FL friendliest home town...on their terms.

What a shame...how such small, self centered thinking could come from an organization that has been capable of doing such great things....how selfish for their own entity...

Enough cannot be said how negative an impact their small minded, negative action has created and will continue to create.

There is no justification for their action. Very much like our representatives in Washington DC...take it or leave (it).

btk
Old 02-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Sage

If those allegations are correct then it is very sad indeed.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
If those allegations are correct then it is very sad indeed.
They are true.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Thumbs up Follow the Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I don't care what side of the Moffitt issue you are on...the way the Relay for life event and it's organizers was/is inappropriate, unprofessional and very contrary to what TV would have all visitors believe....FL friendliest home town...on their terms.

What a shame...how such small, self centered thinking could come from an organization that has been capable of doing such great things....how selfish for their own entity...

Enough cannot be said how negative an impact their small minded, negative action has created and will continue to create.

There is no justification for their action. Very much like our representatives in Washington DC...take it or leave (it).

btk
Old 02-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
From my understandings, the article is pretty accurate. There is one thing, though, that is not mentioned. The high school denied access to Relay for Life this year because they were doing some track work. So, not having the Relay for Life at the high school truly had nothing to do with Moffitt or the Morses. At least they're innocent on that front.

That the Polo Fields wasn't offered, however, truly stunned me. That there was the demand for 50% of the proceeds sickened me. That Moffitt itself seemed to have little knowledge of the extortion-like tactics surprised me. It should be interesting to see what develops with "talks" between Morse and Moffitt. Something tells me that Moffitt doesn't want to be tarred with this brush at all.

I have noticed that events for Savannah no longer seem to have words to the effect that part of the proceeds will go to Moffitt. Makes me wonder if that is no longer happening or if it's just happening but we're not being told.
I am not too sure the Developer doesn't hold some influence over decisions made by the charter school.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:16 PM

OMG! What kind of a place did I buy into? Shame on you Gary Morse! Shame on you!!! Everything I hear about your beloved cancer center sickens me. It's built on your greed and extortion. It will be the last place I use for services if I have any say. And it will no longer receive any donations from me.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Gold member
Default Developer control of the Charter School

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
I am not too sure the Developer doesn't hold some influence over decisions made by the charter school.
The Developer clearly controls every major decision that the
School makes. Take a look at the School's board of directors: http://ccfcorp.dos.state.fl.us/scrip...s_filing_type=

Therefore, it does not seem that there can be any basis for thinking that the decision to screw over Relay for Life, in an attempt to extort funds for the Developer-backed Moffiitt Center, was taken by anyone except the Developer.

BTW: Does anyone know if the school owns its facilities or does it rent them from the Developer?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Default Address for Relay for Life?

Could someone send me the address for the Relay for Life so I can make a donation? On second thought, why don't you send me a reply here so everyone can see it.

Thanks!
Connie

From Liberty, MO
Old 02-06-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachnmo View Post
Could someone send me the address for the Relay for Life so I can make a donation? On second thought, why don't you send me a reply here so everyone can see it.

Thanks!
Connie
This link will take you to the local event. Look for the DONATE button along the top of the page.

http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR?pg=entry&fr_id=29865
Old 02-07-2011, 12:42 AM
Default Thank you for the Web Site

Thank you for the website. I have donated $100 in memory of my parents, Bob and Frances Williams, and my ex-husband's ( Jim Barnett) wife Dodi who all passed away from various types of cancer. I can only hope and pray that a cure for this illness can be found before it affects my grandchildren.

From Liberty, MO

Last edited by teachnmo; 02-07-2011 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Deleted size
Old 02-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Default Follow the money

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbaru View Post
This link will take you to the local event. Look for the DONATE button along the top of the page.

http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR?pg=entry&fr_id=29865
At least this way we will know where our donations are going. Instead of writing Moffitt on the memo line of our check to The Villages Health System.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.