Post Office Change of Address Advise for seasonal people - Permanent vs Temp

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2011, 10:38 AM
Veteran member
Default Post Office Change of Address Advise for seasonal people - Permanent vs Temp

Each time we come down to The Villages I forward our mail to our home in The Villages. This time we were going to be here for somewhere around 6 or 7 months. The Postal Service gives you the option of a temp change of address (good for only 6 months with the option to renew after 6 months) or permanent change of address. Since we were going to be down here about 6 months or perhaps longer I decided to do a permanent change of address this time and avoid having to redo it once 6 months was over. Well it turns out it was a mistake (at least for us). The Post office notified every business that sent us main that we now have a new permanent change of address and then those business sent us mail requesting verification of the permanent change. Some business like insurance and Medicare Part D wanted to change us to new areas and policies that handled Fl instead of NY and Medicare Part D drugs also want to change our policy to a company that supported Fl - this we taught was strange since we had our Part D with AARP and assumed it was nationwide (It is they told me but not with the same drug company???) . Anyway to make a long story short if you are going to do a permanent change of address with the Post Office make sure you really want every business you deal with to be notified you have a new permanent address and have to respond back to them. Next time we will do a temporary change of address and renew it if we stay longer then 6 months.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:26 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

Very often, we do not know or do not understand all the ramifications of a seemingly innocuous decision like a "Permanent Change of Address Card" for the post office. With computers, little boo-boos can blossom into major fu-fu's quite quickly. I think this illustrates that point in spades.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.