Lifestyle Preview visit

Closed Thread
Old 07-11-2007, 06:35 PM
Veteran member
Default Lifestyle Preview visit

I'm coming for a lifestyle Preview visit in August after looking at and researching the villages for a year. I will be retiring in March and want to get a good feel for a place that sounds like community I want to live in. Any suggestions on an agenda of what to do other than the planned activities from the Villages staff? I am a once upon a time married male coming down by myself. Are there any recommendations working with just the Village sales staff or should I also deal with Realtors in looking for a house? My purchase time is after retirement. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Default Re: Lifestyle Preview visit

We have been to the villages 3 times in the last two years. The first time we stayed in Ocala. We were looking at lots of different communities. We found ourselves at the town squares every nite. The next visits were for a week at a time had a ball every time. The place can be a little overwhelming at first, but you will settle on an area that fits you. we ultimately decided that we wanted to live in the villages after looking all over central florida. The best adivce is to visit, visit, visit, settle in, buy. We are headed down next week hopefully to become a true blue villager. Good Luck.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Sage

I would look at outside Realtors as well as The Villages sales staff. Many preowned properties have the bond and initial closing costs paid and all the landscaping, window treatments, pavers, etc already installed. I would also look at properties close to the squares. There are lovely properties in all sections of The Villages, but I love being close to the squares and think those properties may appreciate in value a little more quickly.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:14 AM

I agree with the samhass post. I would look at homes with realtors other than The Villages group. The Villages sales agents can't show any homes other than those listed with The Villages. Outside agents can show you all the homes listed in the local multiple listing service (but not anything listed by The Villages. Good luck and I hope you enjoy living here as much as I do.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:30 AM

If you're going to look at pre-owned's, you might also check The Villages Daily Sun. Quite a few property owners sell on their own, without the assistance of a realtor. We sold our patio villa that way. You save on the enormous realty fees, and it works out more cheaply for owner and buyer. Also, the closing costs on pre-owned's are much less than for a new home in the Villages. Good luck!
Old 07-12-2007, 09:42 AM

I too am planning a move to The Villages once my house is sold. I was there in January and looked at several properties with the sales rep and also looked in other communities. The life style of The Villages keeps bringing me back to The Villages. Is the use of your golf cart on Village property other than golf courses included in ammenities fees or is there and extra charge.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:54 AM

It is included
Old 07-12-2007, 01:59 PM

Bama, I may have to hurt you!!!! ;D We're still "unsold in Colorado".... That's like "Sleepless in Seattle"!!!!!

We came down to the Villages for the first time 2 years ago. My first thought.........."It looks like Disneyland for old people" It was just too perfect. It looked like it was built by Walt!!! Then when we met "The Villagers" I thought they were all too happy, to cheerful .... reminded me of "The Stepford Wives" Not at all impressed!!! Then.....................

after 1 week .........

our driver picked us up at the Sales office at Sumpter Landing to catch our plane in Orlando and he had to pry our fingers off the porch at the sales office in order to make sure we caught our plane! There can be nobody out there that is more in love with TV than my husband and I. ;D

I have lost several friends because you can't shut me up when it comes to talking about how wonderful the villages is. I can be purchasing an item at a store and find some way to talk to the sales lady about my retirement to TV. My husband cringes :redface: when I start........ Anyway, you get the picture! I can't wait!!!!

Old 07-12-2007, 02:32 PM

Oshun...

It's worse than I mentioned..... We have nightly showings in our "media room" of the Villages CD! lol

I remember you weren't ready to sell your primary home...just yet.. and I understand. We are burying "St Joe" this weekend hoping that that will help us sell the home. Good luck with your condo. Are you looking at any particular model or neighborhood or are you buying pre-owned?

good luck
Old 07-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Gold member

darbyduff

When my husband and I visited in October of 2005 our first impression was this place is to perfect and Stepford Wives was mentioned several times in conversations. By the end of the week we began to understand that it was a very well planned and executed community and it's appeal was growing. We now are actively planning a move and can't wait to be villagers.
Beady
Old 07-12-2007, 04:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

Don't hesitate to spend a half day or so with one of The Villages sales people. They are very knowledgeable and pride themselves on providing you with an "information only--no pressure" experience. The Properties Of The Villages has by far the greatest number of listings, so I would recommend a Villages sales person because of their larger number of listings.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:29 PM

A little friendly wager Beady?... Let's see who gets to the Villages first. We are in a very distressed foreclosure market. In fact they just mentioned on the news that we rose 54% in foreclosure's this year than last. It may take over a year to get down there.

We have a 3,000 sq ft townhome with all the extras and within a block of a private country club but Colorado is second only to California in homes on the market. By the way... Florida is third.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Veteran member

I will be arriving Sunday Aug 12 for my visit ;D. I talked with a sales guy today and have an appointment set up to look at properties. I will talk to a visitor's coordinator tomorrow. The sales guy said they had me in a cottage. My question is what is a cottage and where is it located? I also get to schedule 2 tee times. What courses (executive please) should I pick????
Old 08-08-2007, 07:26 PM
Sage

The cottages are very nice...probably a 3 bedroom house; called cottages cause they look like New England seashore houses rather than Florida Spanish style. They are adjacent to Lake Sumter Landing...a great location. I think they give you golf on at least one championship course...not necessarily both executives. I'll defer to those with far more golf experience than I to suggest courses. A lot depends on your level of play and whether you want a tough or easy course.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Veteran member

You have to make the tee time arrangements through the people that arrange the lifestyle preview. They have tee times blocked off for the preview folks. I believe they will schedule both types of courses.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.