rental house owners

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-19-2020, 08:23 PM
Kathi71 Kathi71 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 10
Thanks: 30
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default rental house owners

Hi, If you have Remax Property managers what do you think of their proposal to 'sanitize our houses and then charge us extra every month to list them as 'sanitized'?
If you have someone else, are they doing this? Who do you have? Do you like them?
Why or why not?
K
  #2  
Old 05-19-2020, 08:34 PM
Toymeister's Avatar
Toymeister Toymeister is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 701
Thanks: 1
Thanked 152 Times in 86 Posts
Default

I have a rental which I manage. If I hired a firm which did such a poor job of cleaning that they dared charge extra to spray Lysol on touch surfaces, in this current environment particularly, I would fire them immediately.
  #3  
Old 05-20-2020, 09:38 AM
charlieo1126@gmail.com charlieo1126@gmail.com is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 149
Thanks: 0
Thanked 104 Times in 48 Posts
Default

I’m a rental owner I agree , get rid of them
  #4  
Old 05-20-2020, 09:39 AM
Sailor1 Sailor1 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

We have been with Remax for 6 years and have been pleased with the service. Unfortunately, We also received the request to participate in the "sanitized home program". With the current Covid 19 situation, we completely understand the concerns. At this point we have significant concerns going forward. Prior rentals all had a thorough cleaning when the renters left with the expectation that the house was clean for next renters. I feel anyone renting one of our homes or any other type of rental such as the new Brownwood-Marriot_hyatt etc would assume they have been Cleaned and sanitized. I agree with Toymeister that this should be an expectation not a paid- for add on.

Other concerns:


1. All personal items,pillows,linens,towels etc. are to be removed from all closets, drawers etc or stored in a manner that no one will
notice. Unfortunately, the storage capabilities in most homes in the villages is very limited.
2. No discussion on personal use of sanitized items. Will owners have to pay to use sanitized items since our other items have
most likely been removed from the home?
3. There is an initial fee to start the program and then after 13 months there is a monthly fee to participate. We assume the initial
fee is for Remax to purchase all the items to be sanitized? The contract does not explicitly state they will purchase these items -
so will that be another owner expense?
4. Most rentals are only occupied during high months (our experience- very little to no interest in low and mild seasons) so to be
charged a monthly fee to advertise seems ????

At this point we are leaning to not participate. We also would love to hear other opinion and concerns.
  #5  
Old 05-20-2020, 11:54 AM
Packer Fan's Avatar
Packer Fan Packer Fan is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 462
Thanks: 76
Thanked 60 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathi71 View Post
Hi, If you have Remax Property managers what do you think of their proposal to 'sanitize our houses and then charge us extra every month to list them as 'sanitized'?
If you have someone else, are they doing this? Who do you have? Do you like them?
Why or why not?
K
I have 2 rentals- no need to have anyone manage them - list on vh4r and do it yourself. You need a good home cleaner, there are several out there. Unless Remax is doing a complete fumigation with shockwave, you won't get any better than wiping everything down with Alchohol or bleach. This virus won't last 3 minutes if you use one of those two things to clean with. Basically, it is a scam, don't buy into the hype. I have not had any of my renters even mention it, they assume there is a cleaning because they paid a cleaning fee.

Personally, I would prefer to not have renters who are that paranoid anyway. Anyone who is worried would wipe everything down when they arrive with Isopropyl alchohol and not worry about it.
__________________
Packer Fan
Oak Creek, Wi
Village of Hillsborough and Fernandina
Snow Flake until I retire
  #6  
Old 05-20-2020, 11:56 AM
Two Bills Two Bills is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,583
Thanks: 240
Thanked 1,006 Times in 409 Posts
Default

Providing the items and the house at the start of a rental have been sanitised, surely it would be up to the renter to take care of themselves and the linen etc, until they leave, and then the house should be sanitised and proceedure starts all over again.
Sounds like cleaning company are looking to take advantage of landlords to me.
  #7  
Old 05-20-2020, 02:42 PM
JoMar JoMar is offline
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3,577
Thanks: 9
Thanked 790 Times in 304 Posts
Default

I suspect home mangement companies are concerned about the same issues small busnisses are worried about, being sued if someone that uses your facilities catches the virus. They are trying to get the legislature to pass something to protect them but seems the earliest that will happen is 2021. Till then, someone gets sick and dies in your house be prepared. They may not win but you will spend a bunch of money on an attorney. Not sure you can but if the management company wants to charge more for sanitizing then they should share liability and somehow procedures and accountability should be in the agreement.
__________________
No one believes the truth when the lie is more interesting

Berks County Pennsylvania
  #8  
Old 05-20-2020, 04:29 PM
vintageogauge vintageogauge is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Posts: 1,900
Thanks: 0
Thanked 685 Times in 255 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I suspect home mangement companies are concerned about the same issues small busnisses are worried about, being sued if someone that uses your facilities catches the virus. They are trying to get the legislature to pass something to protect them but seems the earliest that will happen is 2021. Till then, someone gets sick and dies in your house be prepared. They may not win but you will spend a bunch of money on an attorney. Not sure you can but if the management company wants to charge more for sanitizing then they should share liability and somehow procedures and accountability should be in the agreement.
Be prepared for what? It would be impossible to prove that you picked up the virus in the home you rented.
  #9  
Old 05-20-2020, 05:10 PM
GoodLife's Avatar
GoodLife GoodLife is online now
Gold member
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,036
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,033 Times in 328 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathi71 View Post
Hi, If you have Remax Property managers what do you think of their proposal to 'sanitize our houses and then charge us extra every month to list them as 'sanitized'?
If you have someone else, are they doing this? Who do you have? Do you like them?
Why or why not?
K
Does Remax say "we're all in this together" in their ads?

If yes, check your wallet or purse.
  #10  
Old 05-20-2020, 05:21 PM
JoMar JoMar is offline
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3,577
Thanks: 9
Thanked 790 Times in 304 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Be prepared for what? It would be impossible to prove that you picked up the virus in the home you rented.
Don't disagree but if they think they did and they get an attorney and sue you and you win you will still pay for your attorney and costs. Same with business's which why they are pushing for legislation to protect them and there are representatives that are writing the legislation now.
__________________
No one believes the truth when the lie is more interesting

Berks County Pennsylvania
  #11  
Old 05-20-2020, 05:28 PM
fdpaq0580 fdpaq0580 is online now
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 126
Thanks: 46
Thanked 122 Times in 61 Posts
Default Cleaned and sanitized!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathi71 View Post
Hi, If you have Remax Property managers what do you think of their proposal to 'sanitize our houses and then charge us extra every month to list them as 'sanitized'?
If you have someone else, are they doing this? Who do you have? Do you like them?
Why or why not?
K
All of us that have rental properties have taken the financial hit due to covid. The management companies and hospitality industry felt it too. But I feel like sailor1 said in his/her post#4, that any client coming to stay has a right to expect that the property was cleaned/sanitized before their arrival.
We use Relax also, needless to say I was disappointed when I received the email. We moved to Relax when our former management company started offering "special upgrades" like high-end this and that. That company ended up costing the folks that they represented lots of money. But that was then and this is now with a large, well known company.
When the email came I relived the horror of our previous experience. And, the timing couldn't be worse. Rentals non-existent, loss of income we were expecting while still paying ongoing maintenance and utilities. I'm not intimating that we may be about to relive our past experience, but it starting in an eerily similar manner.
Personally, we always had tried to be better than the competition in our price point. Also liked the idea of adding personal touches to achieve this. New plan is heading toward standardized sheets, blankets, towels and more. Wanting to de-personalize our property and charging us to do it.
This said, we will not be signing up for the program at this time and will be watching to be sure they do cut back on the services we signed up for.
Sadly, not everyone is able (for many reasons) to manage their own rental property.
  #12  
Old 05-20-2020, 06:13 PM
thelegges thelegges is offline
Gold member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina /One Retired in Duval
Posts: 1,161
Thanks: 7
Thanked 316 Times in 110 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor1 View Post
We have been with Remax for 6 years and have been pleased with the service. Unfortunately, We also received the request to participate in the "sanitized home program". With the current Covid 19 situation, we completely understand the concerns. At this point we have significant concerns going forward. Prior rentals all had a thorough cleaning when the renters left with the expectation that the house was clean for next renters. I feel anyone renting one of our homes or any other type of rental such as the new Brownwood-Marriot_hyatt etc would assume they have been Cleaned and sanitized. I agree with Toymeister that this should be an expectation not a paid- for add on.

Other concerns:


1. All personal items,pillows,linens,towels etc. are to be removed from all closets, drawers etc or stored in a manner that no one will
notice. Unfortunately, the storage capabilities in most homes in the villages is very limited.
2. No discussion on personal use of sanitized items. Will owners have to pay to use sanitized items since our other items have
most likely been removed from the home?
3. There is an initial fee to start the program and then after 13 months there is a monthly fee to participate. We assume the initial
fee is for Remax to purchase all the items to be sanitized? The contract does not explicitly state they will purchase these items -
so will that be another owner expense?
4. Most rentals are only occupied during high months (our experience- very little to no interest in low and mild seasons) so to be
charged a monthly fee to advertise seems ????

At this point we are leaning to not participate. We also would love to hear other opinion and concerns.
Are they giving you a list of what will be removed from your home?

What exactly are the items they will be supplying.

If it’s a mass linen service, it would be a hard NO for me. After over 48, years in OR wearing scrubs, that were either onsite, or offsite cleaned.
How many timeS you pulled your scrubs on to find stuff still in the pockets, tape, old blood, or other items, that made you want to rip them off, and burn them.
Yep they are sanitized to wear during surgery, so what kind of quality control will a ReMax have over any hospital facility.

We had the luxury of examining each item we wore, what will your renter do. Plus depending on the day, the mix that was used to wash and press scrubs were off. To say the least it not a fun day when everyone breaks out in hives, from scrubs that day.
  #13  
Old 05-20-2020, 08:57 PM
vintageogauge vintageogauge is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Posts: 1,900
Thanks: 0
Thanked 685 Times in 255 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Don't disagree but if they think they did and they get an attorney and sue you and you win you will still pay for your attorney and costs. Same with business's which why they are pushing for legislation to protect them and there are representatives that are writing the legislation now.
Wrong, that is why as a landlord you have liability insurance and they will be the ones to defend it with their attorneys, been there done that.
  #14  
Old 05-21-2020, 05:44 AM
smacquart smacquart is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 4
Thanks: 3
Thanked 12 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathi71 View Post
Hi, If you have Remax Property managers what do you think of their proposal to 'sanitize our houses and then charge us extra every month to list them as 'sanitized'?
If you have someone else, are they doing this? Who do you have? Do you like them?
Why or why not?
K
Good idea
  #15  
Old 05-21-2020, 06:16 AM
Paporter Paporter is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 18
Thanks: 3
Thanked 21 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathi71 View Post
Hi, If you have Remax Property managers what do you think of their proposal to 'sanitize our houses and then charge us extra every month to list them as 'sanitized'?
If you have someone else, are they doing this? Who do you have? Do you like them?
Why or why not?
K
If we’d known, there were so many vacation rentals, we would not have bought our RETIREMENT home, in The Villages advertised retirement community. The Villages isn’t a Retirement Community, it’s a Vacation Club Community.
Reply

Tags
list, sanitized, rental, month, extra

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:15 AM.