Rental prices

Closed Thread
Old 09-16-2021, 07:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts
Default That is why you never take advice on TOTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillages2013 View Post
If you are going to rent short term (any lease less than 6months+1day) you will need to collect from your tenant the “hotel” tax and pay it to the state.
This is why you don't take advice from random posters on TOTV. This statement is without context and therefore can be interpreted incorrectly.

Hotel tax is collected if you provide hotel services which is in and above just renting the property. It includes, food services and laundry services, as an example.

However, do your market research to figure out who will be your customers, and how do the financials look at 100% occupancy in Jan->Apr and then 50% in the remaining months.

From your original question, you aren't serious, as its very easy to search for rentals with google as if you were searching for a rental, to easily do a financial statement. All the competitive information is available on the internet, including bond costs, real estate taxes, insurance costs, location. etc. Rentals always come down to occupancy rates to figure out break even and return on investment.

We were not profitable in 2020 with 40% occupancy, and this year we are not profitable with 60-70% occupancy, without a mortgage, including depreciation, for ROI

finance guy
Old 09-16-2021, 07:39 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
That would be the State of Florida.

Some landlords claim they include the hotel tax in the rent so their renters don't see it. Some landlords who do this may actually pay the tax they owe, but who knows?

If you ask Florida what they think, they'll tell you that if it's a rental less than 6 months, the tax must be paid, and you must register to pay the tax before you collect it. The only thing that's unclear is whether it's legal to pretend to the renter that there is no tax that must be paid.
What does it matter if the renter doesnt know theyre paying hotel tax? Rent is rent. Pay it or move on
Old 09-16-2021, 07:44 AM
Veteran member

But did you have appreciation of true value???
Old 09-16-2021, 07:54 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,201 Times in 463 Posts

This market seems to be hot and prices are probably elevated. I was a landlord for decades, albeit in a different environment. Do not believe the formulas people give you. Rentals are work and all kind of expenses. Ultimately, the biggest gain was appreciation of the property after owning it long term. Glad to be free of it all and would not do so again EVER.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,370 Times in 2,517 Posts

[QUOTE=CoachKandSportsguy;2004713]This is why you don't take advice from random posters on TOTV. This statement is without context and therefore can be interpreted incorrectly.

Hotel tax is collected if you provide hotel services which is in and above just renting the property. It includes, food services and laundry services, as an example.
[/QUOTE

Florida Department of Revenue, Sales and Use Tax on Rental of Living or Sleeping Accommodations, Page 1

What is Taxable?
Florida’s 6% state sales tax, plus any applicable discretionary sales surtax, applies to rental charges or
room rates paid for the right to use or occupy living quarters or sleeping or housekeeping
accommodations for rental periods six months or less, often called “transient rental accommodations”
or “transient rentals.” Some examples are hotel and motel rooms, condominium units, timeshare resort
units, single-family homes, apartments or units in multiple unit structures, mobile homes, beach or
vacation houses, campground sites, and trailer or RV parks. Individual Florida counties may impose a local option tax on transient rental accommodations, such as the
tourist development tax, convention development tax, tourist impact tax, or municipal resort tax. These
taxes are often called local option transient rental taxes and are in addition to the 6% state sales tax
and any applicable discretionary sales surtax. In many counties, the local option transient rental taxes are
reported and remitted directly to the county; however, sales tax and discretionary sales surtax on transient
rentals are always reported and remitted to the Department of Revenue.

Have paid that tax to our landlord for a good few years.
No services provided.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:25 AM

I have a friend looking for a long-term rental between approx. 466A and 466 for around $1300/mo. She works days full time, no pets, very reliable.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:31 AM
Default Patio Villas

As a 20+yr. Retired Property Manager/ licensing Instructor and a 13 yr Village Resident offering services in The Villages for 8 years, here is a little info for you.

Location will determine the most. Updated light bright comfortable beds are second.

Winter: Ranges from 3,900 mo to 3,200 mo. Summer 2,800 mo to 2,500 mo.

Profit depends on who manages your property.

Be very careful if you won’t be living here to look after your property.

Feel free to contact me if you like more information. There are ways to save thousands in fees.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
This is why you don't take advice from random posters on TOTV. This statement is without context and therefore can be interpreted incorrectly.

However, do your market research to figure out who will be your customers, and how do the financials look at 100% occupancy in Jan->Apr and then 50% in the remaining months.

From your original question, you aren't serious, as its very easy to search for rentals with google as if you were searching for a rental, to easily do a financial statement. All the competitive information is available on the internet, including bond costs, real estate taxes, insurance costs, location. etc. Rentals always come down to occupancy rates to figure out break even and return on investment.

We were not profitable in 2020 with 40% occupancy, and this year we are not profitable with 60-70% occupancy, without a mortgage, including depreciation, for ROI

finance guy
I don't know why one would include depreciation in a financial ROI assessment. Depreciation is just a tax accounting tool. You recuperate depreciation when you sell the home. I have two 3/2 homes. From as cash flow perspective, Jan-Mar rental pays the mortgage. Two more months and I am cash flow positive, while the home sits and appreciates in value (as it always will over time). I use the homes when they are not rented, in 10 years, we will move to TV full time, so there is value there as well. The point is, rental properties work for certain people, with certain skills and resources, and for others, your money may be best placed elsewhere.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRMACK55 View Post
Wrong on the hotel tax. Whoever told you that is wrong.
I also got the same info from the state of FL. The only reason for non payment is dishonesty.

Guess it depends on how lucky you feel/are.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:46 AM

Sorry but you are wrong. In the business and that is TRUE !
Old 09-16-2021, 09:51 AM
Default If you buy a rental, please maintain it.

For all landlords out there, please maintain your rental houses! And, as mentioned by another poster, please factor in maintenance on a house you intend to rent out.

I live in a patio villa full time and it angers me greatly to see how negligent these landlords are. I have talked with distraught renters who can NOT get their landlord to maintain the property. Mowing grass once a month in the summer and never having the yard weeded is just unacceptable. For the biggest part, they provide no pest control. And all of this is to be performed per the contract. And then the landlord cries and complains if the renter moves out early.

I’m so angry to see my patio villa neighborhood be treated as though it’s a ghetto. So, if you purchase a home to rent out, please maintain it!
Old 09-16-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRMACK55 View Post
Wrong on the hotel tax. Whoever told you that is wrong.
NO,,, HE IS 100% RIGHT,
LESS THEN 6 MONTHS YOU MUST >>>> collect hotel sales tax !!!!
And send it to Florida tax..
Old 09-16-2021, 10:48 AM

I heard from my realtor that The Villages said "No" to investors on new builds. I guess too many people wanted to rent and this would create a lack of community feeling. You can buy an existing home however. Good luck.
Old 09-16-2021, 11:26 AM

This is what the Villages told me about occupancy rates when using them to manage a rental:

"January through March we are usually fully booked. Second season includes October, November, December and April and we usually see activity on 60%-70% of our homes during this time. Summer months, May through September we usually see activity on approximately 30% if our homes."

I calculated that using the Villages service just wasn't worth it. I did not try and calculate renting it on a year lease on my own.
Old 09-16-2021, 11:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post

Florida Department of Revenue, Sales and Use Tax on Rental of Living or Sleeping Accommodations, Page 1

What is Taxable?
Florida’s 6% state sales tax, plus any applicable discretionary sales surtax, applies to rental charges or
room rates paid for the right to use or occupy living quarters or sleeping or housekeeping
accommodations for rental periods six months or less, often called “transient rental accommodations”
or “transient rentals.” Some examples are hotel and motel rooms, condominium units, timeshare resort
units, single-family homes, apartments or units in multiple unit structures, mobile homes, beach or
vacation houses, campground sites, and trailer or RV parks. No services provided.
My apologies, you are correct I read about the tax when we first starting slumlording, and so my response was an incorrect memory about reading the state and local taxes, and the property manager had sent in the payment, so I not writing the check , did not have a good memory recall. Or I read the wrong analysis about the hotel tax, which specifically exempted when not providing hotel services. . .

Sumter county had suspended their 2% tourist tax last year, due to the virus, but I have not followed up whether that is also re-instated. These taxes are like VISA transaction "tax" of 4% which is charged to the renter to cover the expense for the return on investment calculation.

Again, you are correct, and my memory was incorrect.

sportsguy
Closed Thread

Tags
rental, advice, villa, patio, bath

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.