Has anyone ever sold on ebay or craigs list.

Closed Thread
Old 06-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Question Has anyone ever sold on ebay or craigs list.

I could use some advise. Has anyone ever sold stuff on the web?

My husband has over 10,000 comics (most or all x-man related) in some cases several copies of the same ones. He has agreed to sell all but one set about 5,000 when (or beforee) we retire and give the remaining set to our son. When we moved last boeing sent an appraiser out to value the collection for the move they set it at $30,000 can you believe it.

Any advise on using these sites is greatly appreciated.

My expierience in marketing is limited to specialty store and big box never sold on the internet.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Hi Trudy,

We have sold on e-bay - and listed some items on Craigslist but sold them locally.

A couple of thoughts...

1. We got a scam response from someone on Craigslist - they say they are going to send a certified check but it is bogus so I would beware.

2. If you go with eBay, set up a PayPAl account - you can do it right from the eBay site. Only accept PayPal and require immediate payment.

3. You are likely to get more for them if you sell them in groups on eBay than 1 very big price item - but then you don't know if you would get the $30000 or more - WOW.

I think I would talk to another appraiser (second opinion). I would also search eBay to keep an eye on what others are selling. If you do choose to sell there, I'd start off small.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:10 PM

Hi Trudy,
I have bought and sold on both Craigslist and eBay.
On Craigslist, you advertise and put your sell price in. State that payment has to be cash. Be prepared to get scam responses by those who offer a cashier's or certified check and to have items picked up by a carrier. The check turns out to be bogus. But you are unaware of this until your bank notifies you several days later. Advertising on Craigslist is free.
On eBay, interested people will start a bidding process. On an item this pricey, you should start the bidding at a fairly low price and also put in a "reserve" price which is not seen by the bidders. The reserve price is the least amount of money you would accept. You do not have to sell to the highest bidder if that bid does not at least equal the reserve. If you go the eBay route, it's best to open up a Paypal account, then payment goes right into that account which can then be transferred to your personal bank account. There are fees associated with the listing of your items and the sale of those items. Rules and regs are quite clear when you sign up.
Good luck!
Old 06-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Have done both. Craigs List is great, but always deal with people in person. As others have stated, scam artists are out there as they are most places. I furnished my entire Villages home (2 homes) from craigs list. Have you tried getting a price from a specialty store? They might buy everything your looking to sell and if you check with a couple different ones, you should get a fair price. Build a spread sheet that catologs the collection you want to sell, listing title, date, edition, and condition and send it to a few.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

I would consider consigning them to a reputable auction house that specilizes in paper items. They know how to contact buyers for their items. Most auction house's now also have internet bidding. They will use a reserve if you prefer. They will do all the work and of course will charge you a commission.
To sell 5000 items on EBay will require an untold amount of effort....and you may not get the full value of your comics.
One site to search for a reputable auctioneer/auction house is the National Auctioneers web site http://www.auctioneers.org/.
If you have other questions about the auction method of marketing, please email me.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Veteran member

I agree with Bogie Shooter - auction house would be your best option. You could also check to see if there are any web forums that chat about old comic books. They might be better equipped to tell you where to sell your collection.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

You guys are great. I never thought of an auction house for comics. My antique dishes and antique silver yes but comics, might be the way to go. I checked into specialty stores as I have managed several in the past. They get offered peoples collections often and will only pay .05 on the dollar of value of original purchase price. The comic section on ebay seems to be full of online stores which is why I was reluctant to try to compete with them. The idea to sell them in groups might help. They have story lines that last about 6 months to a year so I could divide by story line and market that way. As I live and breath by excel I have it all on spreads already so that does help.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I sell leotards on ebay every day. I have never used Craigs list. I think that the advice given you by Katesbox and Bogie Shooter is excellent. All of it is excellent really.

Very important to have a PayPal account if you sell on ebay, but I think your collection needs to be handled by an expert.

What a wonderful thing to have enjoyed the collection and now have it be so valuable!
Old 06-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Bogie,

An auction house is a BRILLIANT idea.

K
Old 07-27-2011, 02:00 PM

got to watch out on Ebay and especially Craigs list. There are a lot of whackos out there. Insist on cash, do not except checks, (they often bounce after you've sent the product. Be very careful...
Old 07-27-2011, 02:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneau View Post
got to watch out on Ebay and especially Craigs list. There are a lot of whackos out there. Insist on cash, do not except checks, (they often bounce after you've sent the product. Be very careful...
I have been selling on EBay for over 5 years and have over 900 feedbacks.
I have never lost any $. I used to accept checks, MO's and PayPal. Now on EBay you must use PayPal.
You are correct in saying...be careful. One just has to know what to be careful of.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:44 PM
Sage

This has already been said, but if you do decide to go with Ebay, set up a PayPal account and accept only Paypal. No checks of any kind. I don't know anything about selling on Craigslist, have only bought from them.
Personally I would go with an auction house. They will send someone to your home to evaluate and appraise your collection.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:19 PM

We have sold numerous items on Craigs List in Michigan. You need to be a little cautious, especially if a single person responds to multiple listings all at the same time or if the note implies that you have communicated previously about an item. Also, never accept money orders or even cashier checks and certainly not a personal check. We deal in cash only and we also do not provide mail service or delivery. Before you post decide if you are trying to make money or simply trying to get rid of things and price accordingly.

We have been very successful in cleaning out our old furniture as we are preparing our move to TV in another week and a half.

Good Luck
Old 07-27-2011, 03:43 PM

Try selling a few issues on eBay and see how it goes. Pick ones that are currently selling on eBay, put them up for auction starting at $1. That will get you the most action. Don't put a high starting price, or reserve price, that will just scare off bidders.

Make sure your description of the items is very accurate. Offer worldwide shipping at buyers expense, and only accept PayPal.

Also, tell a little story in your description. Where you got it, why you collected it, why you are selling it. It will make a difference and separate you from the dealers.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:36 PM
Veteran member

Years ago we sold a motorcycle that my husband won on E-bay and it was an easy process. At that time pay pal was fairly new so we requested cash only. A man drove from New York and handed me 20 grand. Oh, what a happy day! Seeing as you have a fine collection that is highly sought after people might be willing to pay cash. In my eyes cash is always best.

Make sure you take good high quality pictures of the comics with detailed descriptions to place on E-bay or Craig's List. People like to see what they are buying. In your case take a few pictures in groups of eight or ten. Make sure to mention the condition of the comics and the year they came out.

Scams are rampant on E-bay so use common sense. I have received e-mails with very bad spelling and grammar offering more money than I wanted but I had to send them a small amount of money first and then they would deposit money in my account. I suppose some people fall for this or they wouldn't be doing it.

Good luck to you in selling those comics.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.