renters questions on animal control and mail delivery

Closed Thread
Old 06-03-2021, 02:17 PM
Default renters questions on animal control and mail delivery

I am renting a home in the town of Woodbury in Phillips villas(from Down Home Property Mgmt, by the way do not, repeat, do not rent from this company, they are a horror show). Just rented through **** and the owner and it was a pleasure, moved to new location and dealing with this company is a horror. First issue, a cat has taken up residence in the backyard and whines and cries all night long, have not had a good nights sleep since here. The company said they could do nothing. We purposely rented a pet free house as me and my wife are both allergic to cats. Companies answer, well its not in the house so its not their problem, i thought yard was part of house. Animal control said they could capture it, spay and neuter it, then release it back to same location. What is the point. Anyone have any suggestions? I am afraid if i feed it it will never leave but i also dont want it to starve. Second, mail. First place i rented i had access to mailbox at Phillips station. This place(down home property) just informed me today after a week here i have no mail box. Problem is i have had something delivered and USPS said they put it in mailbox. I have no mailbox, the company, Down Home, suggested i wait outside Phillips all day until i see a postal carrier. Calling the post office is useless as all you get is automation that does not answer needed questions. Any suggestions, serious ones, on what to do about cat, and how i can find out how to actually pick up my delivered mail would be appreciated. First month through **** and direct involvement of owner we had a great stay, second month here, mostly due to Down Home Property mgmt, do not use them. it has been one headache after another. Really enjoying the Villages overall but this company is ruining it, there were more issues than these two but these are just the most current two. Sorry for ranting but this is frustrating.
Old 06-03-2021, 02:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,413 Times in 5,106 Posts

I don't know about the legality, but you could buy a cat trap and release the cat far away, or take it to the Humane Society.

It shouldn't be too difficult to locate the mail person. Ask someone at the mail station what time they usually arrive, or leave a note on the mail station door.
Old 06-03-2021, 02:37 PM

The cat may be someone's lost pet. Take a photo of it and post on here along with the neighborhood area to see if anyone recognizes it. As far as the mail, I too, have had issues. Go directly to the post office and talk with the post master at your location. That's how I finally got my issues resolved.

And, please don't let the kitty starve or go thirsty. Sounds like it's not leaving so putting out some water and food may stop it from crying at night. It's probably lost or abandoned. I grew up on a farm so I know that a cat will eat pretty much any leftovers, just don't give it chicken bones. Our cats used to also love cooked potatoes and we'd boil potatoes for them, let them cool and give them as a treat for the cats. They'd go after those even before any meat. Put some gravy on the potatoes and that cat most definitely won't ever leave your house! You could probably also take it to a local "no kill" pet adoption facility or they may even come get it. There was one in Seminole Cty where I'm from, but I'm not familiar with this area as I'm also new here. May be one in Ocala or Leesburg.
Old 06-03-2021, 03:34 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,284 Times in 1,427 Posts

The cat might belong to a neighbor and just likes your yard better, if there is nothing there for it to eat or drink it will leave and I doubt there would be anything any management company would do about it except call animal control which you don't seem to want done. As far as the mail, take a look at your Hometown contract and see what it states in there, sometimes on short term rentals the owners don't want their mail forwarded, could be the case there. I don't like everything Hometown does but they've been here for a long time and will most likely continue to be active for years to come. Above advice regarding getting your mail is good, ask a neighbor about what time the carrier delivered the mail and then go down and talk to her or him to resolve your problem.
Old 06-03-2021, 04:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,950 Times in 1,706 Posts

If all you want to do is train the cat to leave borrow a leaf blower or dust blower. You don’t even have to come too close to the cat the air and sound are very objectionable to them. Or if you have a spritzer, water or very diluted cologne nothing that could hurt kitty’s eyes. Wonderful training devices. I used them when a Tom cat kept beating up my cat. And if you want kitty to come instead of leave, Temptations treats - salmon is our guest cat’s favorite.
Old 06-03-2021, 04:53 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

Oh good grief! Trap the cat...call animal control. It really is that simple. Sheesh! No need for the overly dramatic to reply. They are not an endangered species.
Old 06-03-2021, 05:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock555 View Post
I am renting a home in the town of Woodbury in Phillips villas(from Down Home Property Mgmt, by the way do not, repeat, do not rent from this company, they are a horror show). Just rented through **** and the owner and it was a pleasure, moved to new location and dealing with this company is a horror. First issue, a cat has taken up residence in the backyard and whines and cries all night long, have not had a good nights sleep since here. The company said they could do nothing. We purposely rented a pet free house as me and my wife are both allergic to cats. Companies answer, well its not in the house so its not their problem, i thought yard was part of house. Animal control said they could capture it, spay and neuter it, then release it back to same location. What is the point. Anyone have any suggestions? I am afraid if i feed it it will never leave but i also dont want it to starve. Second, mail. First place i rented i had access to mailbox at Phillips station. This place(down home property) just informed me today after a week here i have no mail box. Problem is i have had something delivered and USPS said they put it in mailbox. I have no mailbox, the company, Down Home, suggested i wait outside Phillips all day until i see a postal carrier. Calling the post office is useless as all you get is automation that does not answer needed questions. Any suggestions, serious ones, on what to do about cat, and how i can find out how to actually pick up my delivered mail would be appreciated. First month through **** and direct involvement of owner we had a great stay, second month here, mostly due to Down Home Property mgmt, do not use them. it has been one headache after another. Really enjoying the Villages overall but this company is ruining it, there were more issues than these two but these are just the most current two. Sorry for ranting but this is frustrating.
Sometimes when things seem bad we have little tolerance and all seems bad. As far as the cat the old line holds feed a cat and you will have it forever. If the cat looks t be in good shape it is likely someones pet. The Villages radio show will put it out on the air someone is likely looking for it.

As far as your package. I assume you know you got it by a tracker number. There is a phone number for the post office. Call them, you may need patience to get a HUMAN.
Relax-I've found them to be helpful.

I have done the same thing. When, frustrated STOP. There was that best seller book title was Don't Sweat The Small Stuff-In end it is all small stuff.
Old 06-03-2021, 05:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLgirlNow View Post
The cat may be someone's lost pet. Take a photo of it and post on here along with the neighborhood area to see if anyone recognizes it. As far as the mail, I too, have had issues. Go directly to the post office and talk with the post master at your location. That's how I finally got my issues resolved.

And, please don't let the kitty starve or go thirsty. Sounds like it's not leaving so putting out some water and food may stop it from crying at night. It's probably lost or abandoned. I grew up on a farm so I know that a cat will eat pretty much any leftovers, just don't give it chicken bones. Our cats used to also love cooked potatoes and we'd boil potatoes for them, let them cool and give them as a treat for the cats. They'd go after those even before any meat. Put some gravy on the potatoes and that cat most definitely won't ever leave your house! You could probably also take it to a local "no kill" pet adoption facility or they may even come get it. There was one in Seminole Cty where I'm from, but I'm not familiar with this area as I'm also new here. May be one in Ocala or Leesburg.
Re: cat an no kill shelter.
Many years ago, not in florida, we had a cat give birth in our woodpile. I called the ASPCA
and they told me if, I brought them in they would euthanize them. I called a no kill shelter, they wanted ME to pay $85 for the mother and I think it was $25 for each kitten. The mother being a wild cat would not allow me anywhere near them. Looked like 6-7 little fur balls. Some quick math $300 for a problem caused NOT BY ME . Oh and they insisted something like I should bring them into my home for a week. Creative they assumed if I brought them into my home I would be stuck with them.
Old 06-03-2021, 05:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
Oh good grief! Trap the cat...call animal control. It really is that simple. Sheesh! No need for the overly dramatic to reply. They are not an endangered species.

Wow!! Someone is having a bad day...must be the heat!
Old 06-03-2021, 08:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

The best thing to do about the cat is take a photo and call or get on the Facebook page of Lost Pets of The Villages. They will know if someone is missing a cat and can check for a microchip if the cat can be approached. Or borrow a Have-a-heart trap and trap it, then call Kathy Bork of Lost Pets of The Villages. Also, post the picture on the Next Door forum.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,950 Times in 1,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
The best thing to do about the cat is take a photo and call or get on the Facebook page of Lost Pets of The Villages. They will know if someone is missing a cat and can check for a microchip if the cat can be approached. Or borrow a Have-a-heart trap and trap it, then call Kathy Bork of Lost Pets of The Villages. Also, post the picture on the Next Door forum.
Yes, that reminds me, every now and then you read someone’s heart broken plea to help find their lost cat, here on the forum. You may be doing someone an appreciated favor.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

I can't speak on the mailbox situation, it doesn't seem like the information is being accurately communicated.

But as far as the cat goes, it's not the property manager's responsibility to know if there's a stray cat that enjoys the back yard. On this specific matter, your complaint against them is 100% not valid, it's not anything they can "do" anything about.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

I would just open the gate and send the cat packing so it can be found but it’s owner. As for the mail, put a note up as others have said.
Old 06-04-2021, 04:49 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock555 View Post
turn on the irrigation in the back yard when the cat shows up
Old 06-04-2021, 05:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLgirlNow View Post

Are you kidding? There are tons of feral cats around here. Do NOT feed these cats.
Closed Thread

Tags
company, home, mail, phillips, rented

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.