Renting verse Buying

Closed Thread
Old 06-20-2021, 03:35 PM
Default Renting verse Buying

Would it be better to rent than buy if I'm only planning on being at TV one or two months at the most?

Most sound advises said rent for a year after the move to a new place before you buy. But I'm only interested in getting away from the cold for month or two. I was looking into buying but want but occupying more than two months out of the year. If lap swim pool is accessible to renter, I wouldn't want the hassle of owning a home at TV since I don't want the hassle of renting out when I'm not there.

I was able to get to travel abroad during winter months but due to COVID, I wasn't able to travel in winter 2020. Then I started searching and found TV. I like that TV has lap swim pool, road bike path, and jogging path. It would be good place to continue the training during the winter months without traveling abroad. Also, I could drive down there from NYC.

You thought and suggestion is appreciated from both renters and landlords. Also, what's the best sites to rent in TV for a month or two months? Thank you.
Old 06-20-2021, 03:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

No contest. Rent.
Old 06-20-2021, 07:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Do whatever fits you best. We bought but only get down for 4-5 weeks a year. We love it, having everything setup in our house with no worries about who has been there etc. we have 5 bills which we pay each month.
Old 06-21-2021, 02:10 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,302 Times in 560 Posts

How old are you? How much disposable income do you have? I ask those questions because your birthday in Heaven may be coming soon !
Old 06-21-2021, 07:28 AM

Does anyone have any financial data on the costs associated with owning in TV and renting the home out for 6 months of the year? We love TV but my wife does not want to move away from the kids. I want to be in TV from Jan to April and two months in the Summer or Fall. I can afford a down payment and some monthly expense but not a full year of mortgage payments. Any ideas?
Old 06-21-2021, 07:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,683 Times in 971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1961 View Post
Would it be better to rent than buy if I'm only planning on being at TV one or two months at the most?

Most sound advises said rent for a year after the move to a new place before you buy. But I'm only interested in getting away from the cold for month or two. I was looking into buying but want but occupying more than two months out of the year. If lap swim pool is accessible to renter, I wouldn't want the hassle of owning a home at TV since I don't want the hassle of renting out when I'm not there.

I was able to get to travel abroad during winter months but due to COVID, I wasn't able to travel in winter 2020. Then I started searching and found TV. I like that TV has lap swim pool, road bike path, and jogging path. It would be good place to continue the training during the winter months without traveling abroad. Also, I could drive down there from NYC.

You thought and suggestion is appreciated from both renters and landlords. Also, what's the best sites to rent in TV for a month or two months? Thank you.
Better? In what way? Each comes with its own set of issues. Renting is almost certainly going to be cheaper than buying if you are only coming for a couple of months. However, you'll be living in someone else's house, set up for rental occupancy. We did it for 3 years. Were the beds, and living room furniture as comfortable as I would buy for myself? Not even close. But it was cheaper, and when I left to come north I didn't have to pay any of the carrying expenses, or particularly worry about the lawn, the shrubs, the bugs, or the weather.

We learned stuff about TV we'd have never known had we never rented. For example, I learned I didn't want to live in a house backing up a street like Canal, or Odell, due to traffic noise.
We learned a bit about what villages would suit us, and which would probably not.

We had friends who were very happy in their rentals, only to find out that the owners were retiring themselves and the unit would not be available, and they had to start the process all over, of finding a new rental. We learned that rental costs for the prime months were going up (surprise).

So we bought, but we had made the decision that we wanted to be in TV for 6+months/year, and that it made the decision to buy an easier one.

So when you ask what is better, you have to ask yourself what compromises you are willing to make, and how much hassle and expense you are willing to take.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Rent until you decide you want to live here multiple months a year.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:54 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,178 Times in 759 Posts

One or two months, Rent.
Old 06-21-2021, 11:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,604 Times in 942 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amexsbow View Post
Does anyone have any financial data on the costs associated with owning in TV and renting the home out for 6 months of the year? We love TV but my wife does not want to move away from the kids. I want to be in TV from Jan to April and two months in the Summer or Fall. I can afford a down payment and some monthly expense but not a full year of mortgage payments. Any ideas?
There are way too many variables.
What’s your state income tax situation - will you re-establish residency in FLA (0% income tax)
What are the financial’s around the house you’ll buy (a $250,000 house vs a $450,000 house)
Will your kids come visit you in FLA (near disney, swimming all year, etc) - there’s an emotional benefit to that and a financial (2 BR vs 3BR)
You can make the monthly carrying costs low when youre not here (only landscaping, amenity fee, insurance, etc) - reduce internet costs to very little, get rid of cable.
Old 06-22-2021, 04:52 AM

No brainer, rent. You don’t know what you don’t know until you’ve lived here for a while. You can always look to buy a home while you’re down here renting. That’s what we did.
Old 06-22-2021, 05:35 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1961 View Post

Why even consider buying a house and all the responsibilities that come with it if you are only staying for a couple of months?? Rent, and let the house owners be responsible for all the issues. Ok. So, the bed may not be as comfortable as yours. So? Consider it a long hotel stay since youre only there 2 months. Thats not even enough time to call it a second home. Its just a stop over
Old 06-22-2021, 05:40 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

[QUOTE=Girlcopper;1963234]Why even consider buying a house and all the responsibilities that come with it if you are only staying for a couple of months?? Rent, and let the house owners be responsible for all the issues. /QUOTE]

Why??..............to get the house, a new house, in the neighborhood you want before it closes out.

We purchased our new construction house, knowing we would use it for only a few weeks per year for a few years. Did not rent it out. No regrets. Would do it again.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:15 AM

I have done the math. If you are here 3 months or less rent. If you are here 4 months buy.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:20 AM

One simple question, How Much Money Do You Have?
Old 06-22-2021, 07:28 AM

Homes in TV generally only rent for the winter. It that is when you want to be here then you will get very little income from the home. I have rented ours out for 5 years. This has been my experience. We have ours listed thru RE/MAX
Closed Thread

Tags
months, winter, rent, pool, path

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.