Repair Lamp Post

Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Gold member
Default Repair Lamp Post

Just wondering if anyone else has had to replace the lamp post in the front yard ? Mine has oxidized and need to be replaced. The lamp post is now 7 years old, and has oxidized out at the bottom. Went to HD and was told they dont carry them anymore. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you repair it? I am guessing you can not change the design, height, etc without review board approval.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Sage

Pike's Electric has a storefront in LSL .... I recall them having ads about replacing your outdoor lights. Give them a call or stop by and see what they can do for lamp posts.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:31 AM
Platinum member

It must be something in the soil that causes this. The house we had in VA had a lamp post that looked very similar to these and it was there for 18 years that we lived there. Maybe there's a more durable material that can be had to prevent this. Wonder how painted PVC would work?

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 12-02-2011, 02:44 PM

Although I've not had to replace my entire lamp post I have had to replace the lighting assembly. I call Lenhart Electric and they did an excellent job. I'd bet they also have a source for the proper post and can do this job for you. I've found them less expensive and more cooperative than Pike's Electric. A couple of phone calls should help guide your thoughts. Good luck.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:00 PM
nkrifats

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfn8tly View Post
Although I've not had to replace my entire lamp post I have had to replace the lighting assembly. I call Lenhart Electric and they did an excellent job. I'd bet they also have a source for the proper post and can do this job for you. I've found them less expensive and more cooperative than Pike's Electric. A couple of phone calls should help guide your thoughts. Good luck.
Lenhart was much more cooperative than Pike's in my dealings.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Veteran member

If that happened to us...we'd call the warranty office to see what they'd recommend. We wanted a screen door on our lanai slider (couldn't get one at the Big Box stores) and the WO directed us to RoMac who supplies the original windows. They came out with it and installed it...and the cost wasn't all that bad.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:16 PM
Platinum member

Noting two references to Pike's electric not being cooperative, I would add that I have had two dealings with the customer service staff at Pike's Electric in LSL and both were negative. They were not helpful and didn't want to bother to look in a catalog to do a special order. In addition they warned me repeatedly that I couldn't return the item. I had worked with one person and had to run an errand. When I returned she was sitting in plain sight but was eating her lunch and I had to start all over again with another person even though she had looked up the information on her computer.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
It must be something in the soil that causes this. The house we had in VA had a lamp post that looked very similar to these and it was there for 18 years that we lived there. Maybe there's a more durable material that can be had to prevent this. Wonder how painted PVC would work?
You may be right. Only one person in our immediate neighborhood has had a lamp post replaced due to deterioration and he was the only one that had a water softener/purification unit installed.
The drain pipe for the unit goes under ground within a few feet of the lamp post.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Veteran member

If you are a do it yourselfer this site has lamps and 84" posts. http://www.shopoutdoorlighting.com/ This is the page for the post http://www.shopoutdoorlighting.com/ol69127.htm
Old 12-02-2011, 04:31 PM
Gold member

I thank everyone for your information. I will let you all know how i make out
thanks again
Old 12-02-2011, 08:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

If you want the same call the warrenty dept and they will tell you where to get it
Old 12-03-2011, 05:34 PM

We had Lenhart replace our lamp post. The man who did the work was friendly, reliable, on time and very professional. Excellent service !!
Old 03-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Default Lamp post repair

Just had this problem with our six year old home. I called upon the "handyman" Kent Markley 352-753-5846. Delightful gentleman. He's a villager too. He's fast, efficient, reliable and reasonable.... What else could you ask for? Of course, you can do this yourself if you can follow instructions and trust that you do all the electrical hookups correctly. As for me and my husband, we'd rather leave all electrical things to someone else....
Old 03-02-2012, 08:21 PM
Gold member

I replaced mine with a 4" pvc pipe - which was white and i painted it black - put a new light censer, which now works better (light comes on later and goes out earlier) Just think how much money i am saving i also put a outlet in the pole so if i want lights for Christmas decorations - they will come on and off with the censer. was not really hard to do --just one problem = could not figure out why had no juice to light of plug = solution was the censer takes a few minutes to turn on = reason is if we get a thunder storm or a dark cloud it will not activate the censer. also painted the outlet black to match pole and replace the light with a better one = got everything from home depot
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.