Replacing Whirlpool gold microwave

Closed Thread
Old 07-18-2017, 07:04 AM
Default Replacing Whirlpool gold microwave

Any recommendations for a new microwave other than whirlpool.

Thanks.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:30 AM
Sage

LG or Bosch
Old 07-18-2017, 08:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

You may want to double check the location of the exhaust vent to make sure these are in the same location if you are switching brands. Looking at our installation, the exhaust vent is in the rear of the existing MW, and goes to a vent in the wall, and eventually through the roof. I have no idea if these are standardized between manufacturers.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:36 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

Nearly all manufacturers post PDFs on the installation instructions. That should answer the question about the vent location.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Our LG microwave that came with the house and was two years old had a small fire while my wife was warming up a Sweet Potato. When I called LG for support they were aware of the problem but couldn't care less, no help going forward because the unit was never registered with them. When I Googled this problem I found out it was a common occurrence with Sweet Potatoes. I switched to Whirlpool. The interior condition of the LG was pristine except for the burn mark dead center on the top. Thank God my wife was on the ball and caught it in time. You just never know.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:32 PM

Replaced our Whirlpool microwave when it went bad with a Maytag, very happy so far.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Whirlpool owns KitchenAid, Maytag, Amana and Jenn-Air. Many are made in the same factory. For example I was reading a review of washers and the following models, Whirlpool WTW5000DW ($427.49), Kenmore 22352 ($499.99), and Maytag MVWC565FW washers are all made in the same factory, have the same features and look alike.

Here is Consumer Reports top 10 microwaves, the top 3 were tied which was Magic Chef, Frigidaire and Emerson as the best 4 out of 5 Stars. I've heard good things about Frigidaire products and Best Buy seems to run good sales on that brand.

Compare the Best Microwaves | ConsumerAffairs
Old 07-19-2017, 04:09 AM
Email Reported As Spam

[QUOTE=John_W;1425656]Whirlpool owns KitchenAid, Maytag, Amana and Jenn-Air. Many are made in the same factory. For example I was reading a review of washers and the following models, Whirlpool WTW5000DW ($427.49), Kenmore 22352 ($499.99), and Maytag MVWC565FW washers are all made in the same factory, have the same features and look alike.

Here is Consumer Reports top 10 microwaves, the top 3 were tied which was Magic Chef, Frigidaire and Emerson as the best 4 out of 5 Stars. I've heard good things about Frigidaire products and Best Buy seems to run good sales on that brand.

[url=https://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/microwaves/#view_more]Compare the Best Microwaves | Consumer

Yes, I did business with them for a number of years visiting various regional centers. They also owned Hoover vacuum at one time
Old 07-19-2017, 05:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post

Compare the Best Microwaves | ConsumerAffairs
Actually you showing a site called Consumer Affairs, not Consumer Reports

Consumer Reports lists a couple of GE and LG over stove microwave ovens as recommended. Magic Chef has one of the lowest overall ratings from Consumer reports. Their over stove microwave reports are at Over-the-range microwave oven Ratings & Reliability . you won't see the full report unless you have a subscription to Consumer Reports.

Consumer Reports is the magazine/behind a paywall Web site that has no advertising and depends on totally on subscriptions for their revenue. Consumer Reports actually buys the products they review and tests them in their labs.

Consumer Affairs is an advertisement based site that collects user reviews of products. That's not necessarily bad but that is not how Consumer Reports works.

But I've found that you have to look closely at how Consumer Reports rates things... just picking from their highest rated stuff doesn't always give you a satisfying product.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:14 AM
Sage

Go with Consumer Reports
Old 07-19-2017, 08:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
Actually you showing a site called Consumer Affairs, not Consumer Reports
My mistake, I should of caught that when they didn't ask for a password, I use to be an online member.

I have been shopping for a complete kitchen of stainless steel appliances, refrigerator, stove, microwave/hood and dishwasher and have been cutting out ads since January. I mentioned Frigidaire because of all the ads I collected they've had the best prices and I have read legit reviews and they seem to be right up there. Probably Maytag would come out best, but they cost about twice the price.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:27 PM

John, I switched out my appliances soon after we moved in. I like Whirlpool but the low end builders grade just didn't do it for me. The side by side refrigerator/freezer was just too small, the stove had no "curb appeal", the dishwasher was unbelievably noisey and the microwave was the model number that was on recall. My serial number was not part of the recall but I was taking no chances. I came across a KitchenAid dishwasher at HD that was $1200 at that time. What drew my interest was the DB rating of only 39. This thing is so quiet that we occasionally still get up to see if it is still running. I've had Bosch before, but they can't come close to this KitchenAid unit. I shopped around at all the major appliance stores and managed to get Lowes to match the price ($800) of HHGregg out of Ocala. Adding in my 5% discount for using the Lowes credit account with no interest, it was a no brainer.

Last edited by tagjr1; 07-19-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagjr1 View Post
...I've had Bosch before, but they can't come close to this KitchenAid unit. I shopped around at all the major appliance stores and managed to get Lowes to match the price ($800) of HHGregg out of Ocala. Adding in my 5% discount for using the Lowes credit account with no interest, it was a no brainer.
I'll keep Kitchenaid in mind. You probably have all your appliances now, I just purchased an LG high effiency top loading washer and matching dryer at Best Buy. I read the reviews on everything for a whole day. Front loaders have problems with mold and leakage. The new high efficiency "HE" top loaders have no agitator, which use to tear up and wear out clothes. After reading reviews, LG is not great for front loaders but had the best reviews for top loaders. I then checked around Homedepot, Lowes and Best Buy and BB was $80 cheaper than Lowes, who was second. I was able to get another $100 off for a total of $180, free take-away of old W/D ($35 normally), and a $100 store credit card. I found Best Buy was the best to deal with.

I went in a month later and BB had many of the TV floor models on sale in anticipation of 2018 models. I got the same assist manager who I worked with in buying the W/D and when I was looking for a 65" 4K TV set I ended up getting a 75" Samsung 4K TV with a beatiful picture for $1595. Normally 75" 4K TV's are something in the $2500 to $3000 range. Best Buy I found is much like a car dealer in that prices are negotiable.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:11 PM

Great deals! A man not afraid to research and negotiate!
Closed Thread

Tags
whirlpool, microwave, recommendations, gold, replacing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.