Construction Dirt

Closed Thread
Old 07-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Veteran member
Default Construction Dirt

Building in Hemingway with a scheduled close date of 9-30. The way the house is going up, I won't be surprised if they push up the close date. But my home is the only one being built on the cul-d-sac; nothing yet across the street, down the street, etc. I'm in the middle of sand, dirt, and dust. I'm sure when it's completed, there will be landscaping and a finished product. But I'm wondering about the dirt and construction around me. The obvious is not to open any windows. But what about the lanai, birdcage and pool? Am I going to be shoverling dirt out for months! Everything will be brand new and I dread the idea of living in construction for months on end.

Anyone ever faced with this? Should I just keep a cover on the pool and keep the doors and windows closed? Or maybe it isn't that bad??? Like I wrote, I'm the only house and there isn't even any ground broken around me to indicate more homes will be built! I lived in constrution when I moved into my house up north and the idea of doing it again makes for a sleepless night! My sales rep told me that the area would be developed in no time but what's no time mean!
Old 07-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191
Default Re: Construction Dirt

Yes Nanci....

We I moved to Polo Ridge abutting Rte 466, there were no buildings at all south of 466! While 466 was under construction to widen the road, we were eating dust, really bad. Then when construction started in the LSL side of 466, again we ate, wore, wallowed in dirt and dust. Now look at the area..so very beautiful and pristine.

Always..."A beautiful day in TV."....b

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 07-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Veteran member

I understand how the areas become developed and beautiful and I lived in construction up north but it was only a few homes going up around me, not an entire development. I guess I'm looking for ways to protect the pool, birdcage and lanai from the downpour of construction dirt. I can keep the windows closed but I'm thinking I won't be able to enjoy the lanai at all with all the dust and dirt around me. Someone told me that when her home was being built some ten years ago, she was actaully shoveling sand out of her lanai, that's how bad it got!

Old 07-03-2008, 06:39 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanci2539
I understand how the areas become developed and beautiful and I lived in construction up north but it was only a few homes going up around me, not an entire development. I guess I'm looking for ways to protect the pool, birdcage and lanai from the downpour of construction dirt. I can keep the windows closed but I'm thinking I won't be able to enjoy the lanai at all with all the dust and dirt around me. Someone told me that when her home was being built some ten years ago, she was actaully shoveling sand out of her lanai, that's how bad it got!
Never had to shovel the dirt out. That's one person's experience. I guess the best thing to do is take it a day at a time and hope for the best. Keep in mind, if it's any consolation, that it's not forever; before you know it, you'll be living in paradise. Can promise you that. .....b

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 07-03-2008, 06:40 PM

curious - what is your address? My wife and I are coming down on the 12th to find a house. We've sold ours in CT. I would expect to be looking in that area. Also, we are looking for a place with a measure of privacy in back and though a cul-de-sac lot would be worth a look.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:41 PM
Veteran member

We're on Dudley Terrace in Hemingway. Many beautiful lots. Acorss the street is the golf course.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

Hi Nancy, we just bought a villa in Hemmingway and while our neighborhood is now done, there's a lot of construction activity directly behind our villa in the adjoining neighborhood.

At closing, we asked the builder how long before the trucks are gone and he said within a month. They do knock these puppies up pretty darned quick (is that good or bad) so take heart in that maybe it won't be long - but yes it's dirty.

Welcome! We just closed within this last week.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Veteran member

Thanks John; I would be more encouraged if there were homes going up around me but I'm the only one. A friend of mine just bought in Hemingway on Aberdeen Street. She backs up to a golf course and all the homes on her street are in different stages of building. Like I wrote, I've lived in construction dirt several years ago and there were only a few homes around me being built.

My biggest concern in the pool and the dirt that will fall into it. I'm thinking I should keep it covered!
Old 07-03-2008, 08:37 PM

Nanci:
We are on Chapman, closed last month. When we were there during the last week of May all the houses around us were in various stages of construction. We swept dirt dust out of the lanai a couple times as well as picking up papers etc that blow around. You might be better off covering the pool for awhile, see how it goes. Depending on wind direction some days will be worse than others.
Then one day all the surrounding construction will be over and, this is where the fairy tale story begins...

BG
Old 07-03-2008, 08:57 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I watch a couple of homes near construction (none in Hemingway, yet, though). While I'm not asked to do so, I do do a quick dusting every week so that the construction dirt does not pile up and sweep the lanai and front porch every two weeks. It just gets too dusty otherwise. Anyway, there's no question the dust is pretty bad but at least it's not the sticky type of dust and easily cleaned off. I definitely would keep the pool well covered so that the filters don't get clogged up with the dust. And, yes, windows and doors should be kept closed but, then, most of us keep them closed just to keep the heat and humidity out and the cool air in.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 07-03-2008, 09:16 PM

redwitch, you are a gem! I already like you for your thoroughness. mj
Old 07-04-2008, 02:38 AM

We are in Hadley and so thankful you built a home to block some of the dust for us.
A while back we had acrylic windows put on the back porch which ended most of the
problem.
Welcome to the southside.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:39 PM
Veteran member

We live north of 466 and have been here 4+ years. Eventhough our house was one of the last built in our area we still got the dirt from who knows where. It subsided, but then they started Bison Ridge, Bealls, and the Villages of Parkwood, etc. and we're getting a new dusting. Get used to it .....

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.