Code Red from Sumter Co. Sheriff is a Flop

Closed Thread
Old 06-13-2012, 03:08 PM
Default Code Red from Sumter Co. Sheriff is a Flop

Sitting in the midst of quite a storm. Hailing. Lightning. More coming. Weather warning on TV. Have a weather radio, but when I registered successfully at the Sheriff's office for a weather warning alert to cell phone, since I have that with me at all times, I turned off the radio. We have had several storms with weather warnings the past 3 weeks. I have YET to receive anything through CODE RED. And yes, I am computer proficient, and have registered successfully. I just went back in to check my input data, and all was fine. DO NOT TRUST this office to send out warnings. It does not work. If you were one that got a warning, consider it a rare occasion, at best.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:18 PM
Sage

The weather alert today was for only part of Marion County. My weather radio went off because I have it set for Marion County as well as Lake and Sumter Counties. My registration for Code Red is with Sumter County. Since the National Weather Service issued no warnings for Sumter County, no Code Red would be issued.

It's better to keep your weather radio on.

Last edited by pooh; 06-13-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:00 PM
Platinum member

My Code Red has gone off a few times when there was imminent danger. If you have your cell phone listed you can get warnings when you're on the golf course.... or when you're in Utah.
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 06-13-2012, 10:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by uujudy View Post
My Code Red has gone off a few times when there was imminent danger. If you have your cell phone listed you can get warnings when you're on the golf course.... or when you're in Utah.
You're so right.....we got one to our cell phone when we were in Georgia.

One thing people need to remember is that each storm must meet certain criteria for a warning to be issued....though sometimes I wonder why a particular storm hasn't met those criteria....they're scaring me like crazy!!!
Old 06-13-2012, 10:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool Code Red Capacity

The issue with Code Red is the capacity of the system itself. If you read the website, it will tell you that the system is capable of calling 50,000 phone numbers per hour. Not sure how many folks have signed up, but it's possible that a storm could be past you, before you get a notification. Likewise, if a warning only lasts 1/2 hour, depending on how far you are down the list, you might never get a call.

You should never disconnect your weather radio...
Old 06-14-2012, 04:02 AM
Sage

My weather radio is on all the time. My cell phone is not on all the time. But my land line is registered also and I never get a warning call on my land line.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 06-14-2012, 04:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Last night around seven thirty the weather sirens went off but no call and we had company and I never did have a chance to check on TV (the one on the wall) what the weather situation was about that triggered the sirens. Later the news said a house in central Florida was hit by lightning but I missed seeing where.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:08 AM
Default Weather Radio

I have a weather Radio but do not receive test on Wed. Help It use to give test all the time.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Last night around seven thirty the weather sirens went off but no call and we had company and I never did have a chance to check on TV (the one on the wall) what the weather situation was about that triggered the sirens. Later the news said a house in central Florida was hit by lightning but I missed seeing where.
Weather Sirens???? Are you sure???

I've not heard any sirens [in TV], like we had in Illinois, for tornados.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Weather Sirens???? Are you sure???

I've not heard any sirens [in TV], like we had in Illinois, for tornados.
Well Mike, I am not sure. We were at neighbors and heard this new strange wailing sound, Big sound, and I said what is that? And they said it is the weather alert. He said he should check his radio, or phone or something... We continued to chat. These folks are on their third house in The Villages....but I had not heard it before. So now I am confused.

Oh dear, I hope I am not...you know.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
What weather sirens are you speaking of?
Old 06-14-2012, 07:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Weather Sirens.............unless this is something new, I have never read, seen or heard of weather sirens in or around sumter county.

Gracie..he said she said...not like you!
Old 06-14-2012, 08:55 AM
Sage

For the poster who said his weather radio did not pick up the test signal on Wednesday, I would suggest calling the Midland customer service (number on their website) and they will walk you through the steps to ensure it is properly programmed. My Midland radio picked up the Wednesday test signal with no problem.

Even with the powerful 15 minute storm blowing here at about 4:30 yesterday, my radio did not go off but did when the tornado warning was issued a couple of weeks ago (at 4:30 am).
Old 06-14-2012, 09:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
What weather sirens are you speaking of?
It was a weather radio I heard. I just asked them. It was coming from inside their house. SORRY. It sounded like an outside siren. Our weather radio sounds like a beep beep beep.

I am SO Sorry. I wear "hearers" and sometimes the source of sound is difficult. We were all inside their house and they said something about checking the weather radio later.

I am an alarmist and don't mean to be.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post
I have a weather Radio but do not receive test on Wed. Help It use to give test all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
For the poster who said his weather radio did not pick up the test signal on Wednesday, I would suggest calling the Midland customer service (number on their website) and they will walk you through the steps to ensure it is properly programmed. My Midland radio picked up the Wednesday test signal with no problem.

Even with the powerful 15 minute storm blowing here at about 4:30 yesterday, my radio did not go off but did when the tornado warning was issued a couple of weeks ago (at 4:30 am).
Tinkerbelle, just take your weather radio to the closest fire station & they will program it for you. It's well worth the trip. The firemen are all hotties. Eye candy. I have my weather radio programmed every week!
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.