Resale vs Already Built

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Location: Endwell (NY), Cherry Hill (NJ), Naperville (IL), Philadelphia (PA), Tamarind Grove
Default Resale vs Already Built

I've read a lot of posts that compare resales to custom built homes, but I'm wondering where already built new homes fit into that discussion. It appears that they are mainly in Villages that are almost completed so construction woes should be less. I know that the price is not negotiable - the same as it is with the custom built homes, but it seems as if a lot of these are discounted pretty heavily. So I guess my question has to do with - assuming I find an already built new home that has the features I'm looking for - what would the differences be between custom built and already built new homes? Are there any factors I need to consider?

I still want to look at resales, but had not really considered the already built new homes until I realized there were so many of them.

Four days to go before I see for myself and I'm trying to be as prepared as possible.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:30 PM
Default New vs resale

We own a home in a fairly new village and have looked at new homes in soon to be completed neighborhoods. The new ones offer pricing "incentives" they call them not discounts. As you look at the different models you will find some with golf cart garages and not solid surface countertops, some with solid surface countertops and no golf cart garage.The lots will be staggered or not. Some homes you will find by themselves without the ones next door completed. You will have a lot of fun looking and sorting it all out. As the owner of a home to be sold, I have found that the upgrades in landscape,attic stairs, laundry room cabinets, enclosed lanai etc. Make the resale a better buy if it is what you would have chosen to build. The lower bond is also a plus. At any rate it is an exciting time for you and I wish you much happiness here in the best place on Earth.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:59 PM

When we were looking for our new forever home in TV, we spent time looking at both spec and preowned homes. To be honest, we were disappointed in the spec homes...they were so bland, all inside walls in the same color, and no personality. We wound up buying a preowned CourtYard Villa that had tons of upgrades, including beautifully painted walls, a backsplash in the kitchen, upgraded appliances, mature landscaping, gutters on all roofs and quite a bit of furniture. Yes, we paid a bit more than for a new CYV, but in our eyes it was well worth it. We had everything we wanted now and there was no hassle with finding contractors, or dealing with construction work and problems.

Keep an open mind and find the home that is perfect for you...and enjoy!!!
Old 03-22-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pklein9747 View Post
When we were looking for our new forever home in TV, we spent time looking at both spec and preowned homes. To be honest, we were disappointed in the spec homes...they were so bland, all inside walls in the same color, and no personality. We wound up buying a preowned CourtYard Villa that had tons of upgrades, including beautifully painted walls, a backsplash in the kitchen, upgraded appliances, mature landscaping, gutters on all roofs and quite a bit of furniture. Yes, we paid a bit more than for a new CYV, but in our eyes it was well worth it. We had everything we wanted now and there was no hassle with finding contractors, or dealing with construction work and problems.

Keep an open mind and find the home that is perfect for you...and enjoy!!!
This story was ours as well. We found our bucks went farther on a pre-owned that had the upgrades we wanted already done in the area we wanted to live. I found the new homes were vanilla, and I wanted strawberry with chocolate syrup! Besides, when you factor in the upgrades you want on the new home, that price tag can get way up there. Our home was only two years old at the time we bought it so we were still under warranty as well, which worked out well when we had a leaky roof during the hurricanes of 2004. Check everything out, new and pre-owned, and I'm sure one special home will speak to you when you walk in!
Old 03-22-2011, 06:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member

nitakk, I'm curious, what warranties are left after 2 years, and what is the duration....gn
Old 03-22-2011, 07:09 PM
Veteran member

I bought a resale home that was built in 2002. I was able to negotiate price with the seller and the home has a VERY low bond. The seller had purchased a 1 year warranty that covered everything. Just about when the year was up, I called the warranty company and had them check out the furnace and a/c just to be sure they were working perfect. No cost to me and they were working perfect.

Resale=much better buy.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:22 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Warrenties can be purchased on pre-owned homes - the ones that have a "certified pre-owned home" medallion on the Villages real estate site have warrenties.

I worked part-time as a realtor for 10 years in the seventies and early eighties and have owned 15 homes myself, so I have some experience. I have never been able to justify the purchase of a new home in any market I have purchased in and I find TV to be no different. In fact it is even more advantageous to by pre-owned in TV in my opinion, because of the bonds, which may be fully paid or paid down substantially with a pre-owned home. You should be able to find a home with upgrades, attic stairs, garage screen, solar tubes, pavers, furnished, golf cart, upgraded landscaping, etc., with lower or no bond, for the same or lower price than new. Now, I realize that some people simply prefer a new home, with all new appliances and fixtures, and I can appreciate that, but from a purely economic standpoint pre-owned, in good shape, is a better buy virtually every time.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:47 PM
Sage

Hi Taylor111947,

When we were looking in TV, we also found resales to be a better value. Many have low-to-no bond, mature landscaping, custom window treatments and lots of upgrades.

If you found a new spec home on a lot that you like and in a location you like, it should not be too difficult to price-out any upgrades you want and compare the total cost vs. building with the same upgrades. It probably would depend on how much "incentive" (or whatever it's called) is available on the pre-built.

I'm excited for you that you are days away from your trip down to find your TV dream house. All best wishes and please, please keep us posted!
Old 03-23-2011, 04:39 AM
Platinum member
Default Resale

Been watching a house for over a year that was listed for 269K. Owner claimed input of 20K in upgrades. Was on market for 1 year + with various agents. Finally sold after 1 week FSBO with price dropped to 229K. Court records show sale price of 228K. 3 y/o designer. They're available.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:56 AM
nkrifats

As with all others. I found the resale home I bought had more features than a new home. Price could be negotiated somewhat which was another point going for it.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

We also shopped around and saw a lot of lovely preowned homes, but the wife really wanted a new home; so guess what we bought?
So, as we didn't have the time to have a home built, that meant spec homes and my patient realtor, the wonderful Phil McGuire, showed us home after home after home and finally my wife fell in love. I had some reservations on the object of her desire and the price of the home; but guess what we did?
As usual she was right and we love our neighborhood and our neighbors and our lovely new home. Someday soon, I'm sure she'll make me paint it.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
.......and my patient realtor, the wonderful Phil McGuire, showed us home after home after home and finally my wife fell in love. I had some reservations on the object of her desire ........
And to top that off, you bought a house from the guy????!!!!

Bill
Old 03-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
And to top that off, you bought a house from the guy????!!!!

Bill
Couldn't help it Bill. My dear wife usually gets what she wants. It was two against one. I guess I owe her after 37 years of putting up with my nonsense.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitakk View Post
This story was ours as well. We found our bucks went farther on a pre-owned that had the upgrades we wanted already done in the area we wanted to live. I found the new homes were vanilla, and I wanted strawberry with chocolate syrup! Besides, when you factor in the upgrades you want on the new home, that price tag can get way up there.
I would not let bland colors deter a decision to buy a home we want... and we didn't when we bought in January. We closed our designer home on a Tuesday, met with a color advisor and the painter on Wednesday and the entire interior of the house except closets and the lanai where painted a crew of about 8 retired painters that live in TV on Friday. The cost under $2000.
The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 03-23-2011, 01:16 PM
Location: Endwell (NY), Cherry Hill (NJ), Naperville (IL), Philadelphia (PA), Tamarind Grove

Thanks for all your comments - clearly there is not a right or wrong answer when it comes to making a decision so I'm going to have to keep my options open.

One thing I have to say, navigating the MLS and VHS websites has been a lesson in frustration. Do these people really want to sell these homes?

The best website is the newly built homes. It allows you to select by Price, Series, Models, Beds/Baths, Homesite and Garage - and then you can sort your List View results by Price or Model. And the Grid View can be sorted by VNH (which seems to correlate to Village), Beds, Baths and Price - although why Model and Village aren't listed is a mystery to me.

Villages resale homes does not allow you to select by Homesite and Garage (generally important factors) and you can't sort the results. It does identify VIllage, but then you need a list of Villages and Year Built (which I have) if that is important. You have to go to the details if you want to know the Homesite and Garage information and nowhere is the Model listed. Also,
Age/Year Built are still not ever mentioned.

And MLS homes depends upon the website you visit. The results all seem to be different so it is hard to know which one to trust.

Well, now that I've vented, I feel better. Thank you for listening to me whine. I suspect you've all been through the same trials and yet you all seem to have found a home you like, so there is hope. But, I plan to make a bucket of marguaritas as soon as I arrive to help me survive.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.