Resale vs Already Built

Closed Thread
Old 03-23-2011, 06:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I'll be looking forward to those margaritas, and I'll bring some cheese to go with your whine...gn
Old 03-23-2011, 06:24 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Hi Taylor111947,

When we were looking in TV, we also found resales to be a better value. Many have low-to-no bond, mature landscaping, custom window treatments and lots of upgrades.

If you found a new spec home on a lot that you like and in a location you like, it should not be too difficult to price-out any upgrades you want and compare the total cost vs. building with the same upgrades. It probably would depend on how much "incentive" (or whatever it's called) is available on the pre-built.

I'm excited for you that you are days away from your trip down to find your TV dream house. All best wishes and please, please keep us posted!
I also found resales to be a much better deal, as well. Nine years here in a TV resale and no regrets.

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 03-23-2011, 09:43 PM
Location: Endwell (NY), Cherry Hill (NJ), Naperville (IL), Philadelphia (PA), Tamarind Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
I'll be looking forward to those margaritas, and I'll bring some cheese to go with your whine...gn
When I do finally settle in I'll have to have an open house for all the TOTV people who have so patiently answered my questions (sometimes more than once) and have helped convince me that TV is the right place for me.

It will be a no whine and cheese party!
Old 03-23-2011, 09:47 PM

All good info. Thanks
Old 03-23-2011, 11:25 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

You have gotten a lot of responses and some good information.

We have been here 2 years and found building a new home to be cheaper (in fact MUCH cheaper) than a resale.

Now before you all jump all over me: 1. we had expected to find resales a better value and 2. I am a CPS, so know mt=y way around numbers a bit....

Keep in mind that what happens in TV can change in the blink of an eye, but here is how we made our decision.

First, I created an Excel spreadsheet of the must have, really want, somewhat want, don't want an can't live with items. (I know - but I fessed up to the accounting thing up front).

Based on this, we narrowed our choices to a Courtyard villa or Designer.

After looking, we both found the model we wanted. All the resales had features that were on our "don't want" or "can't live with" lists. Again, this was for us; results are not guaranteed to be the same for everyone ("as they say on TV"). Additionally, many of the resale upgrades were things we DIDN'T want. Lastly, the model we wanted was fairly new - so most resale sellers had bought at the top of the market - and didn't want to take a huge loss. And the one where the bond was paid, was about $20K higher in price than the ones with the bond outstanding.

In fact, some good friends we have met here are both RE brokers - and they bought new for much the same reason.

One thing I do know, TV is a wonderful place and you will find you forever home and will fall in love....
Old 03-24-2011, 06:13 AM
Location: Endwell (NY), Cherry Hill (NJ), Naperville (IL), Philadelphia (PA), Tamarind Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
First, I created an Excel spreadsheet of the must have, really want, somewhat want, don't want an can't live with items.
I had to laugh at your plan. My friends call me the Spreadsheet Queen. I already have a spreadsheet with all the models and their base prices. Then I created one for all the already built new homes containing all their features. Once I identified the 'standard features' it was easier to figure out what the 'upgrades' were and what ones don't have features on my 'must have and can't change' list. The spreadsheet for the Villages resales was a bit more challenging, but along the same lines.

Clearly I have too much time on my hands
Old 03-24-2011, 06:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Did that too.

Define the problem.

Gather facts on the problem.

Come to a trial conclusion.

Check the trial conclusion.

Come to a final conclusion.

Found a house we loved that was not what we decided was our choice and we had already decided we would not buy on that trip.

Bought it.

Love it.

Never, EVER did anything so impulsive in our lives.

SO GLAD WE DID!!!!
Old 03-24-2011, 08:10 AM

Sometimes your heart does not listen to your head (or is it the other way around) Anyway, it makes life interesting and so much more fun.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:26 PM

You sound organized to me, and that's something I've always wanted to be, but never am....

We're selling our 2010 Bonita Villa (fully furnished/turnkey) that we bought last year because we now decided to go for a designer home (for more family visits). Gracie would laugh if she knew how impulsive we are...lol.

If you want to take an online look at the villa (in Boxwood villa), send me a Private message. It goes on the market officially on 4/1st with Nanette Tolleson as our TV agent.

Good luck whatever you decide to do...sounds like an exciting time in your life.

Donna

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor111947 View Post
I had to laugh at your plan. My friends call me the Spreadsheet Queen. I already have a spreadsheet with all the models and their base prices. Then I created one for all the already built new homes containing all their features. Once I identified the 'standard features' it was easier to figure out what the 'upgrades' were and what ones don't have features on my 'must have and can't change' list. The spreadsheet for the Villages resales was a bit more challenging, but along the same lines.

Clearly I have too much time on my hands
Old 06-15-2012, 06:05 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
I would not let bland colors deter a decision to buy a home we want... and we didn't when we bought in January. We closed our designer home on a Tuesday, met with a color advisor and the painter on Wednesday and the entire interior of the house except closets and the lanai where painted a crew of about 8 retired painters that live in TV on Friday. The cost under $2000.
The Villages Florida
this is good info
Old 06-16-2012, 06:35 AM
Veteran member

Spec home or resale or build new - it's all in what you want for your mony - generally a used home will be in an area with lower or no bond - I believe lake county homes had no bond - bond went up as theVillage went south dist 5 had lower than 6- The question is not one or the other - you have to find what you want in the house and the area where you want to live.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:24 AM
Gold member
Talking

If your not in a hurry, and have lots of time to look, then I think a pre-owned is the way to go. Sometimes, homes are up for sale because of illness, etc and the children back home, or family just want it sold. (Not nice to say, but true) So negotiating, is a plus!!! You can make an offer, and all they can say is No!! But lots of homes have all these extra's put into home by original owner, and your getting a super bargain. New is nice, (thats what we did) but after seeing what I put into it extra, and what was out there in pre-owned, the bargain was pre-owned. Compare!!! Sometimes you even find homes that the bond is paid also. Again though, if not in hurry, you have these alternatives. Anyway, "Happy Home Buying".
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.