If you had your life to live over...........

Closed Thread
Old 06-09-2011, 05:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default If you had your life to live over...........

Would you choose the same job, if you had the choice?

There is no question in my mind that if I had my life to live over I would be a physician.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:14 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I would change a few things, but not much. When I was growing up, we were poor and I really had no way to go to college. I finally found a way to work my way through, by working part time, joining ROTC, scholarships, and finally getting a full time job and finishing at night.

I was working summers during high school for a doctor who owned a large dairy farm. He had several hundred milk cows, race horses, and thousands of acres of farm land. He was a small town GP and had no children. He offered to pay my entire education if I would go to medical school and come back and take over his practice. At that time in life, I was tired of school and was dreading even another four years of college. The thought of eight years of college and internship, so about another twelve years of education was to much to contemplate. So I didn't do it. And for a few times during the following four years as I struggled to get through college I did regret that choice. But overall it turned out to be the right decision for me. I was more successful in business life then I ever dreamed possible, and made far more money then most doctors. Maybe I would have been very successful as a doctor also, but today looking back, I believe I made the right choice.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:28 AM
nkrifats

I think I would have prepared myself with more education than I did. Overall I would not change anything. I was medically disqualified from a job I love and went into a field I had no desire to be in. That with some effort has rewarded our family many times over. Life seems too have a way of working out without my thinking messing things up. Work Hard at what you are doing and make the best of it has worked for this old boy.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:29 AM

I would choose the same job,since it afforded me the opportunity to run my own company,but my focus early on would have changed.I would not have been so concerned about image and chasing the "almighty dollar," and spent alot more quality time with my family and friends.I've been trying to make up for those indiscretions over the pass decades, but it still bothers me that it took so long to get my priorities in the proper order.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:39 AM
Default Nothing

I am very bad about going back to play the old "what if" game...to change things that turned out differently than I had hoped. Fortunately my wife is very grounded and keeps me looking forward.

So with that said, even though I have not liked each step or direction my life has taken, the choices I have made brought me to this point - and of that, I would NOT change a thing. I have a good job, working with good people, a beautiful, understanding best friend (who happens to be my wife) and two absolutely wonderful children who are becoming great adults!!! I also have a home in TV to look forward to when we finally retire.

If I went back and changed any of the "bad" things, would I still have all the good things?

It is very enjoyable to read posts here and the responses. This is a pretty cool subject.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Sage

"Would (I) choose the same job?":

I've had several careers, though it was all through evolution: Started off teaching I.T./computer related stuff after finishing school.........which I left after a few years to do some analyst work........which I left after a few years to take a step backwards, just on the roll of the dice to get on board with a really good retail company - still doing technology stuff - where I could have the opportunity to grow (stayed for 10 years).........then rolled the dice again to go work with a former co-worker at a small start-up consulting company doing project management........that company ended up getting acquired by a global consulting firm - I ended up evolving into running the resource management side of a division of that business (stayed a total of 14 years)........then, in a flash of brilliance, I called it a day in '02 and walked (with proper notice, of course). Started my own part-time business which I've had for the past 8+ years, doing something completely removed from anything and everything from my past..........and I am having a ball.

Could I ever have envisioned my work life would've take the path that it did/has? Never. Would I change anything? Nope. Everything always seemed to fall into place (with some hard work along the way) - a lot of being "the right guy at the right place at the right time"......couldn't have hoped for anything better for Sandy and I.

Bill
Old 06-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

There is no question in my mind that if I had my life to live over I would be a physician.
Good question, Gracie. I think if I had to do it over again, I would have been a nurse administrator in a small town hospital.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:37 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

I guess I could have made plenty of better decisions. I've mainly enjoyed my life, though. (Thank God for some selective memory)

I've worked outdoors for the bulk of my life and, for me, there was no better way. I would have liked to have earned more money to make my playtime more interesting, but I have little to complain about. I have a loving wife and 2 wonderful children who've begun to bless me with grandchildren; so I guess I wouldn't change a thing.

The icing on the cake? I was able to retire to my great neighborhood in The Villages and make some of the best friends I've ever had.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:45 PM
Sage

Quote:

If I had it to do over again, I would have aspired to be a sports announcer. Being a sports nut, it would have been a dream job but then I probably would have worked until I dropped and never would have had the chance to be in TV with it's wonderful people.

Second choice would have been a teacher.

Last edited by 2BNTV; 06-09-2011 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 06-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Graciegirl, interesting question because it is one we all have asked ourselves and some of us several times. To add an element to your question we all have had these forks in the road along our journey that have had a major effect on our lives. For instance I have written that my wife and I have been together since high school. However, I made a decision to quit schoolat age 17 and go in the Navy. I did not want my wife to wait for me and to interfere with her ;ife, studies, etc. So I broke it off in June knowing i was leaving for boot camp in August. The day before my departure my friends had planned a going away party. I was sitting on the curb that afternoon talking to my friends when walking down my street was my wife to be. I stood up walked over to her and invited her to my party. That same night a very rich girl from the other side of town made it clear she had great interest in me. I was very confused . My best friend walks up to me with his arm around both of these girls and ask me to choose. Well you know the rest of the story and during my entire enlistment my girlfriend wrote me and during my enlistment we married I was 19 she 18 . I finished school in the service, started colledge and following my dicharge finished college. If I had not spoken to my wife on that particular day we would not have continued our relationship and not married and all that followed. It was a good life and she wasand is a good wife. I chose wisely and made the right choices for me

These roads taken/not taken shape our lives. Think back and all of you reading this post will be able to pin point moments (decision) such as mine that dramatically altered your life even though the decision may have been a subtle one at the time

When people ask would you choose.... it all over again, I interpret that to be a form of mourning our youth. And I would be lying to say that I do not mourn my youth but we only get one life and we should not waste it on would if's, regrets, etc
Old 06-09-2011, 01:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
When people ask would you choose.... it all over again, I interpret that to be a form of mourning our youth. And I would be lying to say that I do not mourn my youth but we only get one life and we should not waste it on would if's, regrets, etc
I agree with this statement. A very smart person once told me that when you start playing the "what if" game, your intellect is gone.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:

Tough question for me. 19 months ago I would have said yes I would have chosen my same job since I was a stay at home mom (both my and my husbands choice) and had the joy of being with my children as they grew up; guiding them, playing with them and just being there for them. Now though I am not sure since my husband chose to leave me 18 months ago. I have no retirement of my own and no useful job skills to fall back on to provide a life for myself. I still don't think I would give up the time I had with my kids, but life would be much more secure now if I had had a career.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

There are small decisions I might make differently with the wisdom of hindsight, but I would change virtually nothing. First, I would say that regret is the worst kind of wasted energy - it serves no purpose, can change nothing, and leaves you feeling bad. We are the sum of our experiences, good and bad, and to wish anything had been different would affect hundreds of things which happened subsequently.

For example; I wanted to stay in Fargo, N.D. after I resigned my job there seventeen years ago, and sometimes subsequently felt that I didn't try hard enough to find a way to stay. Instead, I took another job with the company I had been with for twelve years in St. Paul, Minnesota. My son Kellen was finishing his sophomore year in high school and was really, not surprisingly, beside himself about the move. We had many, many loooooong talks about the benefits of moving, and embracing change, and maturing, but he was mostly inconsolable. We moved to St. Paul in August and enrolled him in a private Lutheran high school, as we thought he would be able to adjust quicker in a smaller school. He started football practice the week we moved in, and he made several good friends right away (some of whom are still close friends). The first week in school he met Sarah and they started dating three weeks later. Sarah and Kellen have now been married for ten years and in January presented us with our second set of twin grandsons, their first (my daughter's twin boys are 15). Had we not left Fargo at that time Kellen and Sarah would never have met and William and Carson would not exist. I wouldn't change any of that for anything. I am a great beleiver in living in the present and planning for the future - now there is something I CAN positively impact. (Hope this doesn't sound like a lecture Gracie et al - there is no harm in wistfully dreaming how things might have been different as long as you don't wallow in some kind of self-pity or regret.)
Old 06-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Maybe I would be an English major.

Red Herring Boomer
Old 06-09-2011, 08:19 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default no regrets here

I got to do exactly what I always wanted to do when I was a girl. I got to be a mom. I was home with my three kids for 18 years and I home schooled them for 10 years. Then, due to some job situations with my husband, I went back to work as a Registered Nurse. I have no regrets. I have been very blessed. Although, I have no regrets, I do think I would have enjoyed being a teacher. Sorry Boomer, I don't think I would have been an English Teacher though!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.