Residents Parking on Street

Closed Thread
Old 03-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Vinny,
Someone asked if I was talking villas, so I clarified.

The Deed Restriction as quoted, rule 12, says owners are to park in their garage or driveway.

I've no problem with short term parking when needed, but to own several vehicles that overflow your garage and so you park 'em in the street is trashy, that's all. Just my opinion.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member

There have been a lot of fussy opinions and erroneous posts on the parking issue. Isn't there an attorney poster who understands contract law, deed restrictiions and covenants and county ordinances who can help clear this up?

I would even welcome the Developers legal guys if they would offer valid clarification
Old 03-10-2011, 06:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
There have been a lot of fussy opinions and erroneous posts on the parking issue. Isn't there an attorney poster who understands contract law, deed restrictiions and covenants and county ordinances who can help clear this up?

I would even welcome the Developers legal guys if they would offer valid clarification
Post #42 references feedback directly from the VCDD about what they enforce.

Bill
Old 03-10-2011, 07:11 PM
Gold member
Default parking

After two and half years parking in front of my house, I can tell you that you are allowed to park in the street.How would you think otherwise. Do you know someone who received a ticket or warning. I do not. I would talk to police and community watch in the street leaning against my car.They do not give tickets period.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:18 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Sumyer County Ord. No. 96-23, § 9, 12-16-96; Ord. No. 2003-1, 1-14-03, states:

"c. Parking. Notwithstanding the provisions of the Green Book, on-street parking is not allowed except when specifically approved by the commission."

The "Green Book" pertains to building requirements for developers, including street/road dimensions, etc.

So, given this Ordinance, unless Sumter County has approved parking for an area/street, I'd say parking is not allowed on the street and it would be up to the County Deputy Sheriffs to enforce parking, should they so desire. Personally, I don't like taking the risk of being towed, so I wouldn't park on the street. You never know when a neighbor might decide to call about it or when a Deputy Sheriff should decide to act upon it.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-10-2011, 09:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Code of Ordinance
County of
Sumter, Florida

Chapter 17 Motor Vehicles and Traffic
Atricle II Stopping, Standing, and Parking
Division 1 Sumter County Parking Ordinance

Sec 0-29
(a) within the unincorporated areas of Sumter County Florida, except where necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic, or in compliance with law or other directions of the sheriff or his deputy or official traffic control device, no person shall:

(3) park a vehicle whether occupied or not except temporarily for the purposes of and while actually engaged in loading and unloading merchandise or passengers:

b. in any county road, street or right-of-way in the unincorporated areas of Sumter county.
-------------------------------------------------

Seems a pretty clear indication that parking on county roads in unincorporated areas is not generally allowed . This incorporated with deed restrictionsand covenants, would seem to relate clearly to most of TV area. Now if we want more strict compliance, how do we achieve it?
Old 03-10-2011, 09:25 PM
Veteran member
Default I question that because..

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Sumyer County Ord. No. 96-23, § 9, 12-16-96; Ord. No. 2003-1, 1-14-03, states:

"c. Parking. Notwithstanding the provisions of the Green Book, on-street parking is not allowed except when specifically approved by the commission."

The "Green Book" pertains to building requirements for developers, including street/road dimensions, etc.

So, given this Ordinance, unless Sumter County has approved parking for an area/street, I'd say parking is not allowed on the street and it would be up to the County Deputy Sheriffs to enforce parking, should they so desire. Personally, I don't like taking the risk of being towed, so I wouldn't park on the street. You never know when a neighbor might decide to call about it or when a Deputy Sheriff should decide to act upon it.
I question that because if you go here:
http://library4.municode.com/default...ction=whatsnew
I think You can read all of the Sumter County Ordinances, and if you search for Parking... it will take you to Article 2
ARTICLE II. STOPPING, STANDING AND PARKING*
and I do not see anywhere in there where you cannot park on the street; in fact it lists the circumstances where you cannot park and in fact tells you how you can legally park by being within 12 inches of the curb.
"Except as otherwise provided in this division, every vehicle stopped or parked upon a two-way street or highway shall be so stopped or parked with the right-hand wheels parallel to and within twelve (12) inches of the right-hand curb or edge of the street or highway."
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks. JJ
Old 03-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Code of Ordinance
County of
Sumter, Florida

Sec 0-29
(a) within the unincorporated areas of Sumter County Florida, except where necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic, or in compliance with law or other directions of the sheriff or his deputy or official traffic control device, no person shall:

(3) park a vehicle whether occupied or not except temporarily for the purposes of and while actually engaged in loading and unloading merchandise or passengers:

b. in any county road, street or right-of-way in the unincorporated areas of Sumter county.

Seems a pretty clear indication that parking on county roads in unincorporated areas is not generally allowed . This incorporated with deed restrictionsand covenants, would seem to relate clearly to most of TV area. Now if we want more strict compliance, how do we achieve it?
bump
Old 03-10-2011, 09:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Code of Ordinance
County of
Sumter, Florida

Sec 0-29

Challenger -

I wonder if The Villages is considered to be an incorporated area or is it considered unincorporated?

Bill
Old 03-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member

There is no incorporated municipal govt as far as I know for any part of TV . State laws usually use incorporated to refer to municipal goverments.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
There is no incorporated municipal govt as far as I know for any part of TV . State laws usually use incorporated to refer to municipal goverments.
That helps - thanks!

Bill
Old 03-10-2011, 10:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Why

Just curious. If you have a garage which we all do, if you have a driveway which we all do, why the hell would you want to park in the road where the cars drive, golf carts drive, bikes ride and joggers & walkers are??? My original question was regarding a 30 something foot Motor home which parks more the 24 hours in the road at the end of someone elses driveway on a bend in the road. Deed compliance says it's no problem as long as the Fire truck gets by. I too was a fireman for 42 years and drove. I doubt the Fire Truck, especially T51 could get by.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:51 PM
Default Let's all park on the street!

I'm very reluctant to continue this thread but here I go. One of the many reasons we moved to TV was because it is so beautiful. We have lived in areas where there were no restrictions on parking any type of vehicle on the streets. Needless to say, we always seemed to have a next door neighbor with a commercial plumber's truck or a pick up truck filled with construction material, who parked in front of our property. So if there are no restrictions on parking in TV, maybe we all should just park in front of our homes! Just imagine how your street would look if everyone was dumb enough to park their vehicles on the street. I don't need deed restrictions to make me park in my garage because I have pride in how my neighborhood looks and I also don't want my car fading in the Florida sun. Let's keep TV streets as beautiful as they can be.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member

or move to Lake Weir
Old 03-11-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Deed compliance says it's no problem as long as the Fire truck gets by. I too was a fireman for 42 years and drove. I doubt the Fire Truck, especially T51 could get by.
Skip,
Just curious, How wide is the typical fire truck? My motor home is, I think 8 1/2 ft wide. That doesn't leave much room for other vehicles to go around on the narrow streets here.
Thanks,
Bob
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.