Residents required to sign waiver absolving Villages of responsibility for injury!

Closed Thread
Old 12-05-2021, 11:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

What's funny about all these "trollish" or "clickbait" type of topics is that they always seem to come in bunches and the thread starter never comes back after dropping their bomb. First of the month, time to get the advertising rate stats up. Even funnier is that mods delete any comment suggesting such a thing could be actually happening. Last time the OP logged in was the same time the topic was posted.
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 12-05-2021, 11:09 AM

No requirement to sign it. Just refuse to participate in the activity. Your choice
Old 12-05-2021, 11:16 AM

People always want somebody else to protect them from themselves. It’s not the villages responsibility to protect you from your own stupid actions.
Old 12-05-2021, 11:44 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,309 Times in 592 Posts

This is an article from an attorney in Miami.

Can You Still Sue If You Signed a Liability Waiver in Florida? - Jaime Suarez
Old 12-05-2021, 11:49 AM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi
Default Don't enter the forest if you fear leaves.

Don't sign until anything you get your lawyers OK
Old 12-05-2021, 01:19 PM

Most activities are taught by volunteers, so sign up sheets need to be signed. If it becomes a problem, then these activities will be closed down. If you don’t like the system then don’t participate. I like the system, don’t stir the water. There are some that are always looking to sue!
Old 12-05-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump4 View Post
The new Villages online registration system (Online Services) for recreation, enrichment academy, etc. requires signing the following full general release and waiver. This document releases the Villages of all responsibility for losses, injury, or death “whether or not caused by the negligence, action or inaction of the Released Parties.”
How is it appropriate to require residents to agree to such a broad release of liability?

“I have read and agree to 2021 UNCONDITIONAL AND FULL GENERAL RELEASE.
Waiver
UNCONDITIONAL AND FULL
GENERAL RELEASE
In consideration of being permitted to participate in activities and events (each, an "Activity" and collectively, the "Activities") sponsored, promoted, held, or conducted by or on property owned by Village Center Community Development District, Sumter Landing Community Development District, Brownwood Community Development District, any of Village Community Development District Nos. 1 - 13, Holding Company of The Villages, Inc., The Villages of Lake-Sumter, Inc., The Villages Land Company, LLC, The Villages Operating Company, North Sumter County Utility Development District, and the State of Florida Sports Foundation, (collectively, the "Parties"), I, for myself and for my executors, administrators, personal representatives, assigns, heirs, and next of kin HEREBY:
1. RELEASE, WAIVE, FOREVER DISCHARGE, HOLD HARMLESS, AND COVENANT NOT TO SUE the Parties and any sponsor, advertiser, and promoter of any Activities, or events of such entities (collectively, District Activity or Activities), and any owner or lessee of the premises where the District Activity, or volunteer RLG meetings, events, or other volunteer RLG activities (collectively, volunteer RLG Activity or Activities) are held or conducted, and each of them their officers, directors, members, executives, agents, employees, affiliates, representatives, successors and assigns (collectively, with the Parties, the "Released Parties") of all liability to me or my executors, administrators, personal representatives, assigns, heirs, and next of kin, for any and all loss or damage, and all claims or demands therefore, on account of injury to my person or property or resulting in my death, arising out of or in any way connected with my participation, involvement, or presence at any Activity suffered before, during or after any Activity, and whether or not caused by the negligence, action or inaction of the Released Parties or other individual or entity. This Release shall apply to all future participation in the Activities and remain in force and effective until specifically revoked in writing.
2. INDEMNIFY Released Parties from and against any loss, liability, damage or cost that I or any of my guests may incur due to participation or involvement in or presence at any Activity, whether caused by negligence, action or inaction of Released Parties or other individual or entity.
3. ASSUME FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR RISK OF BODILY INJURY, DEATH, AND PROPERTY DAMAGE arising out of or in any way connected with my participation or involvement in or presence at any Activity suffered before, during or after such Activity, and whether or not caused by the negligence, action or inaction of the Released Parties or otherwise. I understand my participation and involvement in or at any Activity carries the risk of injury, death, and property damage, and I accept and assume that risk fully, freely and voluntarily. The Released Parties have made no representations or inducements regarding the safety of persons or property at or in connection with the Activities.
4. AGREE the foregoing release, waiver and indemnity agreement is intended to be as broad and inclusive as is permitted by Florida law, and that if any portion is held invalid for any reason, the balance should continue in full legal force and effect.
5. AGREE this Release is intended to apply to me and my guest's participation or involvement in or presence at any Activity.
6. IRREVOCABLY GRANT to Released Parties the right and permission to use pictures, photographs, movies, images, videos, recordings, or motion pictures taken of me or my property (collectively, the "Images") and any statements, quotes, recordings or testimonials made by me (collectively, the "Testimonials"); to copyright the Images and Testimonials in Released Parties' own name or in any name Released Parties may choose; to use, re-use, publish, display or reproduce the Images and Testimonials in any medium and for any commercial purpose whatsoever, ; to use my name in connection with the use of any such Images or Testimonials. I waive any rights to inspect or approve the Images or the Testimonials. I release and forever discharge the Released Parties from any and all claims and demands arising out of or in connection with the use of the Images and the Testimonials. I waive any right, title or interest in or to the Images or Testimonials and acknowledge that the Released Parties are the sole and absolute owners thereof and of any printed material, electronic media, negatives, film, video tape or audio tape containing such Images and Testimonials.
7. AGREE to abide at all times to the following Code of Conduct at any Activity: "The use of obscenity, profanity or vulgarity in any conversations involving participants will not be tolerated. It is everyone's responsibility to maintain a safe, pleasant and comfortable atmosphere. Every individual who participates has the right to be treated with respect. No one should be disparaged or criticized in front of participants, teammates, guests, or spectators. Please bring your complaints or concerns to a recreation department representative. The representative may investigate and address any concerns. I agree my participation or involvement in or presence at any Activity is a privilege rather than a right, and Released Parties reserve the right within their sole discretion to revoke my or my guest's activity privileges for violations of the Code of Conduct."

I HAVE READ THE FOREGOING AGREEMENT AND THE CODE OF CONDUCT IN ITS ENTIRETY, AND I HEREBY FREELY AND VOLUNTARILY SIGN THIS AGREEMENT, INTENDING TO BE BOUND THEREBY. I AGREE THAT THIS INDEMNIFICATION AND HOLD HARMLESS AGREEMENT SHALL REMAIN IN EFFECT AS TO EACH RELEASED PARTY UNTIL RELEASED IN WRITING BY THE RELEASED PARTY.
Participant/Releasor Signature:”
This waiver has been in place forever. Rec Centers would have members of groups/residents sign one each year. Not a manageable process to use any longer so I’m fairly certain this has shifted to an on-line effort. Just my thoughts …
Old 12-05-2021, 03:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Everyone must sign mine who drives by my property, let along step on it.
but YOUR lawn is my dogs' fave place to poop!
Old 12-05-2021, 04:27 PM

[QUOTE=jump4;2036686]The new Villages online registration system (Online Services) for recreation, enrichment academy, etc. requires signing the following full general release and waiver. This document releases the Villages of all responsibility for losses, injury, or death “whether or not caused by the negligence, action or inaction of the Released Parties.”
How is it appropriate to require residents to agree to such a broad release of liability?

In today's litigious society where some look for ways to get their hands on other people's money. You signed (or agreed to) everything that you use with your phone or computer. This is no difference.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:44 PM

I the only part I personally have concerns with is the negligence wording. I am not sure this is something I am comfortable with at this time.
Old 12-05-2021, 05:11 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Aflac
Old 12-05-2021, 05:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,589 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
What's funny about all these "trollish" or "clickbait" type of topics is that they always seem to come in bunches and the thread starter never comes back after dropping their bomb. First of the month, time to get the advertising rate stats up. Even funnier is that mods delete any comment suggesting such a thing could be actually happening. Last time the OP logged in was the same time the topic was posted.
If original poster was REALLY interested in the topic, he/she would log in and debate the topic.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:13 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
I the only part I personally have concerns with is the negligence wording. I am not sure this is something I am comfortable with at this time.
You don’t have a choice. Florida Supreme Court has ruled broad waivers are legal. Sign it or don’t participate. Does anyone bother to read the ruling previously provided. It’s the final word
Old 12-05-2021, 07:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Wait til the OP reads their Covenants.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:04 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

Haven't signed one yet. been here five years . If "forced" to sign, and if, and only if, I was seriously injured through what I deemed to be negligence of the Villages, (and I'm not talking silly things like the coffee was hot and i spilled it on my lap and got scalded), I'm confident that a competent hpersonal injury lawyer would make a good legal case to hold the Villages responsible.
Closed Thread

Tags
released, parties, activity, images, release

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.