Residents vs. Non-Residents

Closed Thread
Old 02-29-2020, 01:12 PM

If a discount were given to Villagers would dine/shop locally and it would “tax” those who have not invested in our community. Since outsiders would incur an additional cost per transaction it would discourage spongers. This is how many country clubs operate elsewhere.
Old 02-29-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Easy solution----make the people in the pool get out and show their IDs. Word will get around quickly, even quicker if they prosecute those people for trespassing.
Very logical. Thanks for posting! It’s refreshing to read a common sense solution.
Old 02-29-2020, 01:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALadysMom View Post
If a discount were given to Villagers would dine/shop locally and it would “tax” those who have not invested in our community. Since outsiders would incur an additional cost per transaction it would discourage spongers. This is how many country clubs operate elsewhere.
I don't understand what you are trying to say. "Outsiders" who dine and shop are paying customers not "spongers". Those that sneak into an amenity that we pay for are the "spongers", and should be prosecuted.
Old 02-29-2020, 01:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

I am always asked to get my Id, when I’m in the pool
Old 02-29-2020, 02:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
I do not agree that we should discourage non-residents from spending their cash in the restaurants, shops, etc. that exist within the boundaries of The Villages. It keeps those businesses going strong. Which means that they will be there when any of us wish to go to them.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:36 AM
Default Outsiders using Championship Courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjsmithx View Post
I recently had a very unpleasant conversation with a person that used to live in the villages and decided to move outside. However, this person continues to eat at the local country club restaurant and continues to play golf on the championship courses. Her reason for leaving was the amount of the amenity fees and the bond. Should we restrict access to the country clubs and the golf courses to the residents who pay for the upkeep of all of these facilities? I continue to be amazed by the people who want to be negative about the Villages but still chose to take part in what is offered. And before the negative comments roll in, I have been coming to the Villages since 1998 and have owned here for 8 years. Oh, and her reason for still coming here; she doesn't have those amenities where she chose to buy, even though she champions the lack of amenity fees she pays.

This is just a thought from me, someone who visits the Villages every year. I know what the memberships cost and also know what it cost for a non member to play at both Executive and Championship courses. I work at a membership course in Virginia and it's a semi private course meaning, members come play unlimited rounds for a certain annual price. Those non members who play pay the full rack price and this brings a significant income for the day to day operations of the course. I would imagine, if all being equal, those non residents who play, pay much more than the residents so that extra money would help support the course upkeep. This being said, I would imagine this would help keep your membership prices in check while contributing to the high cost of maintaining a golf course. Again, this is just my perspective from working at golf courses for a long time. If my answer does not apply, I apologize but thought I'd share my view as a course worker who's privy to $$ required to successfully operate a course. By the way, I love the Villages and everything that is offered. I've met some wonderful people and will keep coming until I finally purchase there.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:04 AM
Platinum member

I think that non-Villagers should be allowed to pay-to-play and should be allowed to eat in CC restaurants. However, they should have to don a vest that identifies them as outsiders so they can be looked upon with scorn and contempt. They should also have separate restrooms and water fountains.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:32 AM
Veteran member
Default Discount

Quote:
There is a precedent for this, although a confusing one. Homeowners get a discount when showing their IDs at The Villages movie theaters. But then the owner lets everybody get in with a greater discount on Tuesdays.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:24 PM
Platinum member

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that many came down a little too hard on the OP. You are all right about where the outsiders are concerned with the restaurants, championship courses, etc. We do need and appreciate them. I just don't see the need to berate someone for voicing a concern, whether valid or not. It sounds as if, even though not 100% correct, she was just trying to protect all of us.

That being said, I interpreted her post being that in her conversation, the other lady seemed to be referring to all the amenities in her argument. If that is the case, then the lady who moved away would be wrong about ALL the amenities she might be using and not paying our amenity fees. If the championship courses and country clubs were all she was referencing, then she is right about coming over to The Villages.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 03-02-2020, 02:28 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Perhaps that has changed (I haven't been to the pool in ages), but it used to be common knowledge that people would not be asked to get out and show their Villages ID. If it has changed, that is great!
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 03-02-2020, 02:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,361 Times in 2,394 Posts

Quote:
This sounds like a can of worms...……………………….
Old 03-02-2020, 02:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,361 Times in 2,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
Perhaps that has changed (I haven't been to the pool in ages), but it used to be common knowledge that people would not be asked to get out and show their Villages ID. If it has changed, that is great!
How long are your ages?
Old 03-02-2020, 07:01 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post

That's because you look so young, you hottie!!

Old 03-02-2020, 08:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
At true country clubs it’s members only, with a buy in amount, say $20,000, plus greens fees, ( a guest cost for 18 with caddy is $400.) plus need to spend $600 a month in the restaurant. There are no private country clubs in TV,
Old 03-03-2020, 07:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondvu2 View Post
Although Town square music is not technically part of your amenity fee. It would not exist if it wasn't for us villagers paying our amenity fees as there would be no villages and no funding to do so. Its all good, just wish they knew which bathroom to use, including the pets! LOL We all got to go somewhere.

If I kt.new where the hell I was going, I would have been there by now!
Your amenity fees do not pay for the entertainment in the Town Squares, the Business Association covers the cost.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, negative, courses, golf, country

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.