Respect for Police/Sheriff

Closed Thread
Old 06-29-2022, 02:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
A lot of The drivers here in TV are pretty bad, in cars or golf carts. For cars, I see people take 5 or more seconds to start moving after a green light, going up to 10 mph slower than the speed limit, slow drivers in the left lane, and the worst drivers don’t know how to navigate the roundabouts.
In golf carts, going much slower than typical but when you try to pass, magically the golf cart goes much faster.
Why can’t drivers let people pass them who want to go the speed limit or maybe a little faster? If somebody gets on my tail and I’m going as fast as I can go in my golf cart, I’ll let them pass as soon as it’s safe and most of the time they will say thanks as they pass
And where do you think they come from? They brought their habits with them.
Old 06-29-2022, 04:28 PM

I really will never understand why all these old people are in such a hurry? They are supposed to be retired, happy, living the good life. There just isn't anything worth wrecking your golf cart about.

Smart cars are cars, are they allowed on the golf path?

For a super good time try riding your bike when one of these fast villagers are coming around. I ride the paths, most people are very nice but then there are those, we all know them.

YUP those few who stand out more than the nice guys, because they are so damn rude. By law you must be 3 feet from a bicycle.

Hey we are all going to die soon enough, what's the rush?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
I believe a good indication of the lack of respect for our Sheriff's Deputies and Office can be found just by riding the Golf Path that runs next to 466 between CVS and 441/27. Almost everyone knows there is a Sheriff's office at the intersection of 466 and Morse Bld. however the speed of vehicles on 466 makes it a good racetrack ignoring any Sheriff's station on the side. To a degree it is the same on the Golf Path. We were cut off in our Golf Cart on the path by a light blue "Smart Car" which was doing at least 30-35mph! If in fact there is a total disregard for traffic controls around a Sheriff's Office what makes anyone think anywhere else there is concern regarding speeding.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,685 Times in 972 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Just about everything you just stated is wrong. More accidents are caused by slower drivers than speeders. And there are plenty of 90 year olds driving in TV and Florida, but if you don't like that age, substitute 85 or 80. The point is, that regardless of age, slow drivers are a far greater danger than a "speeder". Just ask LEOs or truck drivers.
Wrong. Accidents are caused by impatient drivers who can't tolerate, even for a few precious minutes, someone who doesn't drive at their preferred speed, so rather than slow down for a minute or two and wait for a safe moment to pass, feel entitled to make erratic, unpredictable, and often unsignaled moves to overtake the driver.
Remember, "speed limit" refers to the maximum speed allowed by law, not the minimum speed required.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
Wrong. Accidents are caused by impatient drivers who can't tolerate, even for a few precious minutes, someone who doesn't drive at their preferred speed, so rather than slow down for a minute or two and wait for a safe moment to pass, feel entitled to make erratic, unpredictable, and often unsignaled moves to overtake the driver.
Remember, "speed limit" refers to the maximum speed allowed by law, not the minimum speed required.
WRONG...More crashes are absolutely caused by slower drivers than speeders. They may not be in the crash, but they CAUSE many because of their arrogance or ignorance.
That's why there is the Road Rage law. So, please get out of the left lane.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Which just proves my point----ask any LEO or truck driver---it is the SLOW DRIVER who is the CAUSE of the accidents---even if they are not involved themselves.
Old 06-30-2022, 06:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Which just proves my point----ask any LEO or truck driver---it is the SLOW DRIVER who is the CAUSE of the accidents---even if they are not involved themselves.
I have asked LEOs. They concur that the slow driver is not the "cause" of the accident. That is why they are never ticketed. They are breaking no laws driving 30 in a 40. (I'm not talking about those driving below the minimum posted, which BTW is only in effect on Interstates having no fewer than 4 lanes). The accident is "caused" by the person who actually causes the accident. This is typically someone zipping around the slow driver, changing lanes without signaling. They may feel justified, but they are wrong. That's why they get the ticket.
The slow driver never gets the ticket because they are breaking no laws.

Ask far as asking truck drivers? Really?

I wouldn't want to be the guy who got in a wreck, changing lanes unsafely, cited, and defending himself in court by telling the judge, "It wasn't my fault. It was the slow driver who I was passing's fault." Not gonna fly, my friend.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
I have asked LEOs. They concur that the slow driver is not the "cause" of the accident. That is why they are never ticketed. They are breaking no laws driving 30 in a 40. (I'm not talking about those driving below the minimum posted, which BTW is only in effect on Interstates having no fewer than 4 lanes). The accident is "caused" by the person who actually causes the accident. This is typically someone zipping around the slow driver, changing lanes without signaling. They may feel justified, but they are wrong. That's why they get the ticket.
The slow driver never gets the ticket because they are breaking no laws.

Ask far as asking truck drivers? Really?

I wouldn't want to be the guy who got in a wreck, changing lanes unsafely, cited, and defending himself in court by telling the judge, "It wasn't my fault. It was the slow driver who I was passing's fault." Not gonna fly, my friend.
Still wrong. The slow driver IS the proximate cause. And he CAN be cited. If he is camping out in the left lane he absolutely can be ticketed for obstructing traffic . And the comment had nothing to do with driving “unsafely” or illegally speeding. It had to do with drivers who lack the skills to keep up with traffic, especially in the left lane , and thereby dictating a lower speed to everyone else on the road, which in Florida IS illegal. And also dangerous hence the number one cause of accidents
Old 06-30-2022, 11:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Flip side of the coin: I drive at the speed limit in the Villages. Why should I or anyone else care if someone is speeding? They pass, they go, they're gone. Not my problem. In fact, give me a 25 year old "speeding" any day over a 90 year old driving 20 in a 35 zone----they're far more dangerous
Quote:
Just about everything you just stated is wrong. More accidents are caused by slower drivers than speeders. And there are plenty of 90 year olds driving in TV and Florida, but if you don't like that age, substitute 85 or 80. The point is, that regardless of age, slow drivers are a far greater danger than a "speeder". Just ask LEOs or truck drivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get real View Post
WRONG...More crashes are absolutely caused by slower drivers than speeders. They may not be in the crash, but they CAUSE many because of their arrogance or ignorance.
Quote:
Still wrong. The slow driver IS the proximate cause. And he CAN be cited. If he is camping out in the left lane he absolutely can be ticketed for obstructing traffic . And the comment had nothing to do with driving “unsafely” or illegally speeding. It had to do with drivers who lack the skills to keep up with traffic, especially in the left lane , and thereby dictating a lower speed to everyone else on the road, which in Florida IS illegal. And also dangerous hence the number one cause of accidents
Y'all have switched the conversation from the slow driver, legally driving below the speed limit, to the driver obstructing the left lane, which is a citable offense. But originally you were just talking about someone legally going slower than the speed limit.

And, while the driver obstructing traffic in the left lane is breaking the law, and may well get a citation for it, that driver would not be held accountable for the impatient driver who darts around the slow car without checking what's behind him, and signaling. Even in that circumstance the overtaking vehicle is primarily responsible for driving safely and legally.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Y'all have switched the conversation from the slow driver, legally driving below the speed limit, to the driver obstructing the left lane, which is a citable offense. But originally you were just talking about someone legally going slower than the speed limit.

And, while the driver obstructing traffic in the left lane is breaking the law, and may well get a citation for it, that driver would not be held accountable for the impatient driver who darts around the slow car without checking what's behind him, and signaling. Even in that circumstance the overtaking vehicle is primarily responsible for driving safely and legally.
Still don't get it? I switched NOTHING. The slow driver "legally driving below the speed limit" IS obstructing traffic (in the left lane). He IS REQUIRED BY LAW to move over if someone behind is travelling faster, even if that person is speeding. HE DOES NOT get to dictate speed to others. He might be dictating speed to someone transporting a sick child to the emergency room, or a woman in labor, or a volunteer fireman responding to a call.
But again, you've "switched", citing unsafe passing which is NOT what I was advocating nor alluding to. And yes, you're correct that it would be a poor defense in court to blame the slow driver for causing an accident that he was not a part of, but nevertheless he IS the cause of those accidents.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Still don't get it? I switched NOTHING. The slow driver "legally driving below the speed limit" IS obstructing traffic (in the left lane). He IS REQUIRED BY LAW to move over if someone behind is travelling faster, even if that person is speeding. HE DOES NOT get to dictate speed to others. He might be dictating speed to someone transporting a sick child to the emergency room, or a woman in labor, or a volunteer fireman responding to a call.
But again, you've "switched", citing unsafe passing which is NOT what I was advocating nor alluding to. And yes, you're correct that it would be a poor defense in court to blame the slow driver for causing an accident that he was not a part of, but nevertheless he IS the cause of those accidents.

Re-read your original post, which I've conveniently quoted above. You start off saying nothing about the left lane, only slow drivers causing accidents. I totally "get it" that driving in the left lane below the speed limit, or even above it in certain circumstances is dangerous and against traffic laws. No argument there from me. But, indeed, if you re-read your original post, you said nothing about that.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Please show me a "road rage law", and where it targets the slow driver as being responsible for accidents.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Re-read your original post, which I've conveniently quoted above. You start off saying nothing about the left lane, only slow drivers causing accidents. I totally "get it" that driving in the left lane below the speed limit, or even above it in certain circumstances is dangerous and against traffic laws. No argument there from me. But, indeed, if you re-read your original post, you said nothing about that.
Conceded. But clearly I was referring to the left lane---who cares if someone is driving slow in the right lane---that's where they belong.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Conceded. But clearly I was referring to the left lane---who cares if someone is driving slow in the right lane---that's where they belong.
agreed.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Please show me a "road rage law", and where it targets the slow driver as being responsible for accidents.
Show me a law that holds makers of violent video games responsible for teen shootings. Just because the law doesn't apply, doesn't mean the slow driver isn't the CAUSE
Old 06-30-2022, 12:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Show me a law that holds makers of violent video games responsible for teen shootings. Just because the law doesn't apply, doesn't mean the slow driver isn't the CAUSE
I was responding to the first quote above which seems to follow the logic that slow drivers cause accidents, and that's why there is a "road rage law"...I'd like to see the law and how it holds slow drivers accountable.
Closed Thread

Tags
sheriffs, path, golf, office, respect

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.