Restaurant monopolys

Closed Thread
Old 03-09-2015, 04:37 PM
Default Restaurant monopolys

The Village expansion is growing rapidly. There is a growing need for a greater variety of restaurants; however, all we have is the same tired run-of-the-mill country clubs. We have a single owner that now controls four country clubs plus Scooples. I suggest this policy needs reviewed by The Village Corporation.

This single owner monoply also applies to other retail outlets such as barber shops...why only Cals?
Old 03-09-2015, 04:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by VILLAGER 2011 View Post
The Village expansion is growing rapidly. There is a growing need for a greater variety of restaurants; however, all we have is the same tired run-of-the-mill country clubs. We have a single owner that now controls four country clubs plus Scooples. I suggest this policy needs reviewed by The Village Corporation.

This single owner monoply also applies to other retail outlets such as barber shops...why only Cals?

Why NOT? This is not a plan, this is something that happened. If someone wants to run that many restaurants or Barber shops, why stop them?

There is nothing stopping anyone from opening a restaurant here. Or another barber shop.

I don't think our country clubs are bad or tired and the prices are sure right.

How would you remedy the problem? What if you were the one renting out the buildings? What exactly would you do??? The Villages can't force Chipotle that I like to come here. They can offer and if Chipotle were smart they would come, but not even restaurants know how BIG we are. Demographers are hopelessly behind the times on this place and demographers are who restaurants and businesses consult when they are looking for a place to open. TooJays knows how good the business is and we must all like it enough to support two places going on three. .
Old 03-09-2015, 05:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:

Myoff Two entrepreneurs willing to work there butts off.
Just what America needs roll model for success
Old 03-09-2015, 05:24 PM
Sage

Quote:

Every time I hear of a new shopping center coming I get hopeful for something different.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

The corp can only ask other restaurants to come here. They can't make them
Old 03-09-2015, 05:40 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Well, I sure am glad Lopez is running Havana now. There was a time when I would not go to Havana because it was so poorly run. Nobody could get it right. But since Lopez took over Havana, we have had some wonderful dinners there.

And I am happy to see Orange Blossom up and running. Nice casual atmosphere. Good service. Really like the fish and chips. Orange Blossom had struggled for a while. Some thought once it closed, it might never re-open. But then along came somebody who likes to run TV restaurants and Orange Blossom now returns us to "those thrilling days of yesteryear" -- where it all started. And I am glad it was rescued by an investor who has lots of restaurant experience and wants to stay in the business.

So I'm OK with people who know what they are doing and have buying power with suppliers and pay their bills so they they don't run out of Goose.

Redundant? Yeah. Somewhat. -- But a monopoly? No.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:13 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
....I suggest this policy needs reviewed by The Village Corporation....
What policy??....I didn't know their was a policy....
Old 03-10-2015, 01:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

I'm sure the powers that be would be happy to entertain your offer of the business you want to open, so that you can give the existing places some competition.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:07 AM

I agree that having one person owning so many venues may pose a long term problem. I also find that we have the same people commenting on everything and after awhile many of us tend to ignore their posts.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member

As long as Cal's provides the excellent care it currently provides, I will be a customer even if another shop opens closer to my home. I frequent Evans and Belle Glade because I like the food, entertainment and prices. I was disappointed they changed the rules on the LoyalTee cards, but have gotten my monies worth just on martinis.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:37 AM
Veteran member

The number one rule when you have a question about things here is :FOLLOW THE MONEY!
Old 03-10-2015, 09:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobys Dad View Post
I agree that having one person owning so many venues may pose a long term problem. I also find that we have the same people commenting on everything and after awhile many of us tend to ignore their posts.

This is posted by one of those people.

What would you do if you owned the properties to be rented? Leave them empty until the fine restaurants with high prices frequented by less people come? Or would you think for three or four weeks about renting them to someone who is already running a successful business, knows the area and the residents and can pay their bills??????

This is plain old economics. This is common sense. This is how the world works.

This is free enterprise. This is the American Way.

The follow the money remark can only be pointing to The Morses, who are the owners of the property. I WISH they would still run the restaurants because they did it so well, but it appears that their business plan is to establish a business and then sell to someone who would continue running it.

This is not wish in one hand and............................

Good Morning.

Gracie, who you may have on ignore.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:07 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

What would you do if you owned the properties to be rented? Leave them empty until the fine restaurants with high prices frequented by less people come? Or would you think for three or four weeks about renting them to someone who is already running a successful business, knows the area and the residents and can pay their bills??????

The follow the money remark can only be pointing to The Morses, who are the owners of the property. I WISH they would still run the restaurants because they did it so well, but it appears that their business plan is to establish a business and then sell to someone who would continue running it.

Good Morning.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:54 AM
Platinum member

The ones you mentioned, owned by the same person, are some of my favorites. I'm sure the Villages will welcome anyone who wants to start a new restaurant.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:08 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

Good Morning.

....Don't mess with Gracie!!!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.