RETIRED NURSES & FIRE HOUSES Could Vaccinate Villagers

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2021, 11:04 AM
Gold member
Default RETIRED NURSES & FIRE HOUSES Could Vaccinate Villagers

There are countless retired nurses in The Villages that if asked, could be used to help vaccinate people here in TV. Sure it would be great if they just volunteered but that is asking too much. Perhaps some kind of compensation could be working out? I think many would be happy to help out in this endeavor.
Now for the the multiple fire houses in The Villages. These folks are trained for this. Giving a shot for them is nothing. If possible their down time could be used for vaccinations at their site. Or, maybe they could be used at the polo fields in a drive-thru situation.
Let's face it at the current rate this will take a long time to complete. We had a vaccine plan but no vaccination plan.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

If you are not licensed now, it does not matter what job you held in the past. Retired nurses, or doctors, cannot vaccinate unless the law is changed.
EMT's cannot give vaccines
Paramedics can but only after several additional steps are taken
Statutes & Constitution
:View Statutes
:

Online Sunshine

They must be working under a medical director with a written set of policies and with documentation of specific training in giving vaccines [not part of the usual paramedic training].

The bigger issues with using fire stations is that they don't have parking, the on duty staff needs to be able to leave NOW if they get a call so what happens to the guy who is being watched for 15 minutes post vaccine for anaphylaxis. With proper training and written protocols they could use paramedics who are off duty at some other site. But there really are very few paramedics and it really won't make a difference. You also need a lot of other staff on site other than the shot giver... traffic control, check in, ID verification, vaccine safety information, patient eligibility and warnings, observation teams, etc.

Last edited by blueash; 01-10-2021 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:31 AM
Gold member

Okay, that is something I was not aware of. But, in Ocala they are getting volunteers at a medical center to help vaccinate. Trinity Clinic

Registered nurse comes out of retirement to administer COVID-19 vaccines
Old 01-10-2021, 11:34 AM
Gold member

See this? Registered nurse comes out of retirement to administer COVID-19 vaccines
Old 01-10-2021, 11:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

For any of that to be viable we need to see a supply of the vaccine....when that happens they they can figure out the delivery into our arms. I don't know that will improve significantly until the other manufacturers are allowed in the game.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-10-2021, 11:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post
Yes, I see it, especially the part where although she is retired in Ohio, she has kept up her license which is active
Quote:
"Why do I still have my nursing license? Why did I keep my basic life support up? But then this came along, and maybe the universe is opening up and speaking to me," Foglesong said.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
For any of that to be viable we need to see a supply of the vaccine....when that happens they they can figure out the delivery into our arms. I don't know that will improve significantly until the other manufacturers are allowed in the game.
Yes and no. I 100% agree with those complaining that this roll out is an unmitigated disaster. Many but not all of us knew that Covid was a real problem that was not going away on Nov 7th. And we knew that a vaccine was coming soon, whether in December or weeks later.

It was also obvious that if you want to immunize 300 million people twice, you need a big plan with complex logistics. That kind of planning should be done at the Federal level with minor adjustments available in the states and localities. Nobody seems to have done what was needed. I don't know if the Feds thought all they had to do was say "we have vaccine" come and get it and leave it all to the states while the states expected far more guidance and help than they got?

We have much more vaccine available than has been shipped. Is that the Feds not moving it even though the states are ready, or the Feds ready to go but the states not ready to accept?
And it is red states, purple states, and blue states. Almost all failing to have a working plan in place.

I disagree with your statement which perhaps you just poorly wrote that they can figure it out when they have an adequate supply. No, you figure it out before you have a supply. Like a month ago.

Last edited by blueash; 01-10-2021 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

One of the problems with the Phizer vaccine is once it is thawed it has a short shelf life, and there are only so many jabs a day a vaccination centre can administer, taking into acccount form filling before, and the 15 minute wait after.
However they should be vaccinating every day of the week if the vaccine were available.
Seems a supply and maybe a storage problem, as there seem many capable of administering it.
When the vaccines that are more storage friendly are being distributed, the innoculation rate will increase.
It's a logistics nightmare, but someone needs to get control of it, PDQ.
As was mentioned in another post, get Amazon on the job!!
Old 01-10-2021, 02:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Yes and no. I 100% agree with those complaining that this roll out is an unmitigated disaster. Many but not all of us knew that Covid was a real problem that was not going away on Nov 7th. And we knew that a vaccine was coming soon, whether in December or weeks later.

It was also obvious that if you want to immunize 300 million people twice, you need a big plan with complex logistics. That kind of planning should be done at the Federal level with minor adjustments available in the states and localities. Nobody seems to have done what was needed. I don't know if the Feds thought all they had to do was say "we have vaccine" come and get it and leave it all to the states while the states expected far more guidance and help than they got?

We have much more vaccine available than has been shipped. Is that the Feds not moving it even though the states are ready, or the Feds ready to go but the states not ready to accept?
And it is red states, purple states, and blue states. Almost all failing to have a working plan in place.

I disagree with your statement which perhaps you just poorly wrote that they can figure it out when they have an adequate supply. No, you figure it out before you have a supply. Like a month ago.
I think it is because so much needed to be learned AND validated as this is our first Pandemic in modern times. Florida is still in the top four states in administration of vaccines...probably due to being in the top three in population.

It is frustrating to want the vaccine and not be able to get it. However we are doing better than the rest of country in amount of vaccines administered.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:

A month ago? The government should have had a task force figuring out a roll out plan as soon as this virus became an issue back in March. Draft the policies and procedures BEFORE the imminent need is dire. Include different plans for the possibility of storage issues such as they have. THAT is what should have been done. In the meantime, we are all left hanging and waiting.

I know......hindsight is 20/20 but still SOMETHING should have been in the works back in March or even sooner. Our government knew back in January 2020 this virus was a BIG threat.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Speaks volumes about the lack of ability/capability of those in charge.
It is not as though the need for a vaccination plan was a surprise...months of planning opportunity wasted!
In corporate America they would be gone....at least in my day they would be!!!!
Old 01-10-2021, 03:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts
Default Bimd

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
speaks volumes about the lack of ability/capability of those in charge.
It is not as though the need for a vaccination plan was a surprise...months of planning opportunity wasted!
In corporate america they would be gone....at least in my day they would be!!!!
4d757e9b-a189-4584-9344-a4acaa9131c9-jpg
Old 01-10-2021, 04:18 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,247 Times in 362 Posts

The governor has contracted with Publix to administer the vaccine. We just need more of it.....just like every other state in the union except NY which can't figure out how to use what they have.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 01-11-2021, 05:55 AM
Veteran member

Correct , we simply need more of it, and that's going to be happening over the next one to three months. If you Google potential supply of vaccine you'll see that it'll be 10 to 20 million shots available in the next one month and 30 to 50 million every month thereafter. Further the third vaccine is going to be approved in February if all goes correct. That being said I totally agreed the FOH and the US health department have screwed up there should never have been a free-for-all line up to get your shots in most States. We should simply have a website and you put in your ages and you get your numbers and then whether it's one week or four weeks from now you don't go crazy not knowing what's going to happen
Old 01-11-2021, 06:08 AM

Quote:

How about everyone just chills out and waits their turn, and be happy that they have Vaccines made so quickly....wow never ceases me how impatient some can be...oh and your welcome to have mine..
Closed Thread

Tags
retired, nurses, time, vaccinate, plan

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.