Retirement

Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2017, 10:16 PM
Default Retirement

I like to start a new tread with did anyone feel sad when they retired. I have not been happy since I left my job. I do not think I was prepared yet, mentally and financially. Even tried to return. The thought of moving to the Villages made me take an early retirement package but now feel like I did the wrong thing. I work part time now but still need to fill a void. Husband is retired and happy. I think I lost some of my independence.

Still missing my job.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:23 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

It's a transition, it takes time for some, determine ur next chapter.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:27 PM

Took me a year
Old 12-02-2017, 10:29 PM

Yes that is what I am trying to figure out. I am sort of a workaholic. This transition is not too well for me. Haven’t reached a happy medium. It was a quick decision and did not have much time to think.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:30 PM
Sage
Default Retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT View Post
I like to start a new tread with did anyone feel sad when they retired. I have not been happy since I left my job. I do not think I was prepared yet, mentally and financially. Even tried to return. The thought of moving to the Villages made me take an early retirement package but now feel like I did the wrong thing. I work part time now but still need to fill a void. Husband is retired and happy. I think I lost some of my independence.

Still missing my job.

I’m going through the same feelings. I retired 12 months ago and I miss having a purpose. I was very good at what I did and was respected. I miss using my mind to the extreme which was at times necessary. But, I don’t miss waking up at 5AM, minimum 1 hour morning commute and at times a 3 hour afternoon commute. I don’t miss what it did to me physically with the stress. Financially I’m ok, being a very good investor so that isn’t a problem, although I won’t qualify for Medicare for another 2 years, and my wife 4. We bought into the ACA and pray it lasts till then. Overall I’m satisfied but I most certainly do miss the challenges of work.
But, this is where I’m at in life and I need to make the best of it. The challenge now is what is the best way to make it work for my overall mental and physical health. I’ve always had good health but have struggled with depression now and then. Retirement has made it worse. I’m now medicated for depression but still don’t have the motivation I once had.
I know myself, I know I will conquer this. I’ve got all this time to figure it all out, in time I will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2017, 10:31 PM

Why do you think it took you so long.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
I’m going through the same feelings. I retired 12 months ago and I miss having a purpose. I was very good at what I did and was respected. I miss using my mind to the extreme which was at times necessary. But, I don’t miss waking up at 5AM, minimum 1 hour morning commute and at times a 3 hour afternoon commute. I don’t miss what it did to me physically with the stress. Financially I’m ok, being a very good investor so that isn’t a problem, although I won’t qualify for Medicare for another 2 years, and my wife 4. We bought into the ACA and pray it lasts till then. Overall I’m satisfied but I most certainly do miss the challenges of work.
But, this is where I’m at in life and I need to make the best of it. The challenge now is what is the best way to make it work for my overall mental and physical health. I’ve always had good health but have struggled with depression now and then. Retirement has made it worse. I’m now medicated for depression but still don’t have the motivation I once had.
I know myself, I know I will conquer this. I’ve got all this time to figure it all out, in time I will.

I did not have the commute like you did but there was traffic here and there. I liked my job but there were things that I disliked and made me furious which was another reason to leave. So sorry to hear that retirement made you more depressed. I am finding out that retirement can be hard on some where others it is not. I feel retirement is the last stage in life and I do not belong there yet. Need to do something else. I would go back to my job if I could but I think I am too late.

Last edited by TOMCAT; 12-02-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:41 PM

I couldn’t wait to retire and make that move to the Villages. But now that I retired, I lack motivation and always think the worse.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I did not have the commute like you did but there was traffic here and there. I liked my job but there were things that I disliked and made me furious which was another reason to leave. So sorry to hear that retirement made you more depressed. I am finding out that retirement can be hard on some where others it is not. I feel retirement is the last stage in life and I do not belong there yet. Need to do something else. I would go back to my job if I could but I think I am too late.

Also maybe finding another job or volunteering would help you. If you live in the Villages there should be much to do. I am now working a part time job at a school near me. Nothing like what used to have. I am lucky to have found something so fast. If I do not move to the Villages, I will go back to working full time again. I am 59, will be 60 soon. May not be easy to find a job at this age also.

Last edited by TOMCAT; 12-03-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:52 PM
Veteran member

was a novelty at first but 12 years later a real turn down
Old 12-02-2017, 10:55 PM

My mistake was I should have listened to that little voice and maybe retired at 62 or 63. Or retired when I was about to move.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
My mistake was I should have listened to that little voice and maybe retired at 62 or 63. Or retired when I was about to move.

Sounds like you know what to do.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
Sounds like you know what to do.

If we do not get to the Villages next year, I will try to get a full time job at that school I work at. I filled out a civil service application test for school districts. Hopefully for the school I am working at.
Did try to get my old job back. Not too successful with all the red tape because I took an early buyout. Or just move like we planned and do something down there.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:25 PM

I have/had the same problem with retirement. Got all my self esteem from work, was a respected expert, always called upon to solve problems. Had long commutes and long working hours with lots of stress. At first I tried to fill the void with new hobbies, travel, etc. but it didn't feel the same. I finally resolved it (on most days) by telling myself that I needed to find a new way to feel good about myself. Now I am okay even if I haven't found another way to feel good because I can just tell myself that I am still looking. I agree that it takes at least a year after you leave your job to adjust to retirement. I retired up North, adjusted up there and then 8 years later moved here, so now I have hundreds of more ways to explore feeling good about myself.

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 12-02-2017, 11:29 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,611 Times in 1,760 Posts

I retired three times before it "took". Give it time. The big thing is to keep your mind active. Of course exercise, socialize and eat right most of the time.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

Tags
job, retirement, retired, happy, feel

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.