Retirement

Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2017, 11:30 PM
Gold member

On the other hand, I retired when I was 3 months shy of being 61 and have never missed it or looked back. That was 4 years ago.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I retired three times before it "took". Give it time. The big thing is to keep your mind active. Of course exercise, socialize and eat right most of the time.
The Villages together with travel is a cure all.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Wow.. Some great insight here. Had no idea there was a downside to retirement..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 12-03-2017, 12:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,688 Times in 5,234 Posts

Although I had a very good professional career with the Federal government, I never got any self esteem from the job because I always realized that I was overpaid and totally replaceable. I worked for the money. Some people overestimate their importance to their employer, especially if you work for the Government. I retired at 56 and did not regret it for a minute. I recommend watching the movie "About Schmidt" with Jack Nickelson.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:44 AM

I retired in 2010 and then started working as a contractor a month later at the same basic job. I contracted for 4 years and retired permanently at the end of 2014.

I have a hobby that keeps me occupied but will look for a volunteer job once we move to TV next spring.

It takes time to adapt because retirement is a huge change but it really does grow on you.
Born and raised in Toronto; also lived in Sudbury and Winnipeg while growing up; migrated to Atlanta where I lived for almost 30 years and also spent a year in Milan and two years in Rochester, MN (brrrr).
Old 12-03-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Wow.. Some great insight here. Had no idea there was a downside to retirement..
I did not realized it until I retired.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I retired three times before it "took". Give it time. The big thing is to keep your mind active. Of course exercise, socialize and eat right most of the time.
Did you retire and go back to your job two times? I even tried to go back also.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:39 AM
Gold member

I think that getting all or most of your feelings of self worth
from a job or work is a mistake, that will make retirement
hard to deal with!
Many years before retirement I lost a job that I had for many years, and it took me quite awhile to land another.
During the long time I was out of work I came to the
realization that I was still a useful, worthwhile
human being even without a job!
I also realized there were other ways to aquire good feelings about your life, such as hobbies,
other interests
and even helping others!
One big thing that I personally feel helped was, just prior to retirement asking God to help and guide me to
find useful and healthy activities to fill the free time I would have!
Then, keep an open mind and try different activities!
Old 12-03-2017, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredster View Post
I think that getting all or most of your feelings of self worth
from a job or work is a mistake, that will make retirement
hard to deal with!
Many years before retirement I lost a job that I had for many years, and it took me quite awhile to land another.
During the long time I was out of work I came to the
realization that I was still a useful, worthwhile
human being even without a job!
I also realized there were other ways to aquire good feelings about your life, such as hobbies,
other interests
and even helping others!
One big thing that I personally feel helped was, just prior to retirement asking God to help and guide me to
find useful and healthy activities to fill the free time I would have!
Yes. Being spiritual I try to ask God to guide me. I think a lot of us do get the respect and self esteem from working. I was just a secretary but I was appreciated by my own little staff. Always saying they would not know what they would do without me. I ran the office. Unfortunately I also worked for government and the higher ups just thought I was replaceable for less money when I tried to return. It can be upsetting.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:53 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT View Post
Yes. Being spiritual I try to ask God to guide me. I think a lot of us do get the respect and self esteem from working. I was just a secretary but I was appreciated by my own little staff. Always saying they would not know what they would do without me. I ran the office. Unfortunately I also worked for government and the higher ups just thought I was replaceable for less money when I tried to return. It can be upsetting.
Tomcat, in reality, the bottom line is we all were replaceable.
Keep asking for spiritual guidance!
Old 12-03-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredster View Post
Tomcat, in reality, the bottom line is we all were replaceable.
Keep asking for spiritual guidance!
Yes I am. Sometimes I think i was guided to leave my job, but I do not know why yet.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:34 AM
fw102807

I have been retired for 2 years now and have loved every minute but we retired and moved to The Villages the same year. My company asked if I would be available to consult on occasion and when I do I remember why I left. Work was frustrating and stressful and The Villages is like a permanent vacation.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:55 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,337 Times in 1,445 Posts

I retired when I was 56, 15 years ago. I sold my business of 30 years to my sons and in all those years since retiring I only went back twice. I don't miss it at all, I went from working 60 to 70 hours a week to nothing but I have kept busy. I always like model trains so I got heavily involved with them. Everyone needs a hobby. Now that I'm in TV I still dabble in model trains along with whatever else interests me down here. I still feel that there are not enough hours in the day to get done what I want to do. I like to work and keep busy and have pages of "to do" lists and will most likely never get it all done. I would not have changed a thing.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile Grab Liffe

IF you are in Management you realize the most difficult person working for you is the "workaholic" as their life is their job and they have lost the reason they are working.
They are very hard to manage. It is a shame when people lose the reason they are working which is to enjoy life. A corporation/company does NOT have a soul. It is a profit making business and unfortunately some give the company a "soul". A wise person said to me one time that everyone should have a goal of a new experience every month. Of course they will not reach it but it should be a goal. Also, if you go on vacation and come back with more than 25 cents in your pocket you failed. Some forget that a good life is what we should be targeting. Remember that enjoying life and all it has to offer, (e.g.travel, opportunity to help others, etc.) is a great way to make this life on earth a rewarding.experience.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:07 AM

I still hate Sunday nights because Mondays were always tough. Took me 6 months to get the hang of things but now I am sure retirement was the best career move I ever did.
Closed Thread

Tags
job, retirement, retired, happy, feel

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.