Retirement

Closed Thread
Old 07-09-2018, 07:00 PM
Default Retirement

I had posted this tread almost a year ago and want to give everyone who was kind enough to respond back to me an update on how I am feeling. My feeling of being uphappy about retirement is gone. I do not want to go back there anymore. Hopefully we will be making the move to the Villages soon. It takes time for me to adjust from changes. Thanks to those who were concerned.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:03 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Congrats.

Some transition immediately, some are slower, some "never" transition.

TV is beautiful and it's waiting for you.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:53 PM
Veteran member

Retirement is one of the major stressors in life. Your identity is tied to your profession and suddenly you are not that person anymore. After the separation anxiety has lessened and the shock of loss of that big paycheck, you need to find a new identity. Here in The Villages, it is really quite simple. There are many things to peak your interest. Don’t be reluctant to try new things, and also to give up the ones that give you self satisfaction. You will be happy here if you want to be.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:55 PM
Sage

Congrats. IMHO, retirement is one of the biggest adjustments in life.

It may not be bigger or more important in general than getting married or having children, but I think it's a bigger lifestyle change and as a result harder to adapt to. I know it took me a while and I'd be shocked it that wasn't true for the majority of retirees. The end result is worth the difficulties of adjustment though!! Look forward to you joining us here in TV!
Old 07-09-2018, 08:58 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

I can relate, it took me three hours to adjust.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,930 Times in 2,700 Posts

I remember your original thread about a year ago. Glad to learn your retirement is working out. Congratulations. My only advise is to do all you can as soon as you can, there is sooooo much to do and our biggest obstacle is that time is finite. Enjoy : )
Old 07-09-2018, 09:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT View Post
I had posted this tread almost a year ago and want to give everyone who was kind enough to respond back to me an update on how I am feeling. My feeling of being uphappy about retirement is gone. I do not want to go back there anymore. Hopefully we will be making the move to the Villages soon. It takes time for me to adjust from changes. Thanks to those who were concerned.
Retirement and losing an identity that you've had for so long, can be a lot of work...for some of us.

Just throw yourself into it as if it were a major, company changing project...at your old employer (or business).

You may find that just identifying, planning, scheduling and participating in all of the opportunities here (spreadsheets are fun)...is a lot like those old important projects.

Just realize that the beneficiary and all of the success & rewards this time...is for yourself.

Good luck.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:40 AM
Sage

Hi Tomcat,

Glad you are doing better. When I was downsized from my previous long-time employer in 2015, it took me about a year to come to grips with the fact that part of my work life was over, so I can relate to what you went through.

Keep us updated on your search for a home in TV. I live vicariously through other people's search processes.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:56 AM

So happy to hear you are on a positive path for happiness and contentment. Enjoy!
Old 07-10-2018, 07:00 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

The beauty of retirement is now when I'm asked what I am doing today I reply, whatever I want to do! Enjoy
Old 07-10-2018, 07:01 AM

Thanks. I will keep you posted on our steps when we begin the path to The Villages.

Tags
feeling, retirement, back, making, anymore

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.