Concrete truck overturns

Closed Thread
Old 04-24-2019, 06:54 PM
Veteran member
Default Concrete truck overturns

I was at Publics at Traverse Plaza around 3:40 today. The rotary on Powell was partially blocked with fire trucks, police cars and a crane working on an over turned concrete truck. Pictures and a few details in the other new source.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:34 PM
Bosoxfan

20190424_144156-jpg

20190424_140526-jpg

20190424_141231-jpg
Old 04-24-2019, 08:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

WOW!

I wonder how in the heck...THAT happened?

If I were to totally guess though...a roundabout issue was probably involved.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
I was at Publics at Traverse Plaza around 3:40 today. The rotary on Powell was partially blocked with fire trucks, police cars and a crane working on an over turned concrete truck. Pictures and a few details in the other new source.
Dan9871, Congratulations as you are the first person in years to call that vehicle by the correct name. It is not a cement truck.

That being said it is a Mission to drive one of those babies as the Center Of Gravity is so High. You almost feel like you're going to go over while driving in a straight line no less navigating the Roundabouts.
I hope the driver is OK. I never fired anyone who flipped a truck on its side the first time if they passed the testing after the accident. If they flipped it backward into a hole then see ya!

I didn't see whether or not the truck was loaded? That is a big question as to why it occurred or was because a person was late for a Tee Time and cut the driver off. It a rough job these Men & Women do and the companies have tracking equipment which makes the drivers rush sometimes. Most are Non-Union which is not good for that particular job!
Old 04-25-2019, 03:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Dan9871, Congratulations as you are the first person in years to call that vehicle by the correct name. It is not a cement truck.

That being said it is a Mission to drive one of those babies as the Center Of Gravity is so High. You almost feel like you're going to go over while driving in a straight line no less navigating the Roundabouts.
I hope the driver is OK. I never fired anyone who flipped a truck on its side the first time if they passed the testing after the accident. If they flipped it backward into a hole then see ya!

I didn't see whether or not the truck was loaded? That is a big question as to why it occurred or was because a person was late for a Tee Time and cut the driver off. It a rough job these Men & Women do and the companies have tracking equipment which makes the drivers rush sometimes. Most are Non-Union which is not good for that particular job!
I drove liquid tankers for a few years in UK and Europe, and with all the roundabouts, 2-5 MPH past safe, and over you went. Luckily I never did.
Hanging beef in a Reefer could be quite exciting at times as well!
Old 04-25-2019, 04:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I drove liquid tankers for a few years in UK and Europe, and with all the roundabouts, 2-5 MPH past safe, and over you went. Luckily I never did.
Hanging beef in a Reefer could be quite exciting at times as well!
The best advice I could give is to give these Concrete Mixers and Dump Trucks a wide berth. The guys and girls who drive them are SuperHuman in my eyes, how they work the hours they do is just amazing.

Bosoxfan posted those pictures last night just after I posted and the truck may have had some leftover material in it but thankfully it didn't look like it was full. There are other factors which can cause a rollover other than driver error. Let's see what the final verdict is. It will be investigated and that truck will be on the road again.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Dan9871, Congratulations as you are the first person in years to call that vehicle by the correct name. It is not a cement truck...

However, I'm afraid I will not be able to stop calling it a see-mint truck after all these years.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

I wonder if they'll ever be able to come up with a concrete reason...for laying it over?

Old 04-25-2019, 07:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,125 Times in 2,240 Posts

The online news and the Daily Sun both reported no other vehicles involved. The DS reported the concrete truck was 'mostly filled', so as mentioned previously a high center of gravity. The passenger was able to get out, the driver was tangled in seat belt and had to be cut out through the roof. We went by around 4:30 or so and the truck was still on its side.

I am guessing (big time) but a lot of drivers tend to push the speed limit on Powell, if the truck was going a little too fast I could see a tip over as the result, just my humble opinion.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:15 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

News Update

The "_____" truck was full of Play-Doh. The "_____" truck was headed to Coleman.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
News Update

The "_____" truck was full of Play-Doh. The "_____" truck was headed to Coleman.
The main objective is to not end up in the load of Cement, I mean Concrete! The Barrel that came off is held on mainly by the gear that drives it and the load that's in it.

The only good that comes of something like this is all drivers from all companies will slow it down for a little while.

Two people in the Cab is interesting, I wonder if the Trainer or The Trainee was driving?

We had rubber finger & toes that we put in the "Mafia Blocks" that are built with leftover Concrete. The Large blocks are 2.5 ft x 2.5 ft x5 ft and weigh approximately 4200 lbs. It freaked out new people and was entirely a joke, entirely. Humor Vito, Humor Rocco!
Old 04-25-2019, 09:23 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
SNIP

We had rubber finger & toes that we put in the "Mafia Blocks" that are built with leftover Concrete. The Large blocks are 2.5 ft x 2.5 ft x5 ft and weigh approximately 4200 lbs. It freaked out new people and was entirely a joke, entirely. Humor Vito, Humor Rocco!
Too much Jimmy Hoffa for youz guyz!!! lololol

Old 04-25-2019, 09:47 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Concrete is made of---> Portland Cement, sand, stone, and water.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Concrete is made of---> Portland Cement, sand, stone, and water.
Just like baking a cake. Nowadays there are plenty of Chemicals added. It's amazing what goes into making quality Concreto! Even The Stone & Sand has to meet certain Standards. I miss it so badly. It was the job of a lifetime almost not like work. You know what I mean, some days we went home tired from laughing but gave the boss a good value for his dollar. I worked for the most honorable Old School man I've yet to meet.

He taught me how to deal with situations like this Accident like a Professional, he was very Father Like too many people. He went as far as to give Mortgages to certain unfortunate employees.

Any further word on the driver.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:04 PM
Platinum member

I was friends with the owner of a company who had a full kitchen at the office to feed his employees so they didn't have to stop on the road.

Tags
concrete, truck, working, crane, pictures

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.