Return Shipments to Amazon, etc

Closed Thread
Old 01-12-2019, 10:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
I've dropped off many Amazon UPS returns at the UPS store in Pinellas Plaza on 466A. No charge.
I would hope not. If they did they would lose their franchise.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by logdog View Post
UPS will pick up Amazon returns at your door at no charge.
Not always true. It depends on the reason for the return. If it is THEIR error yes, if you just return something you don't like they charge $6 EXTRA on top of a shipping charge for a UPS pickup. They don't have free returns for "buyers remorse." Of course you could tell them it's defective.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-01-12_22-33-01.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	78144  
Old 01-12-2019, 10:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
I always pick USPS, print the label, tape to box and then go to my neighborhood postal station, knock on the door and give it to them. Easy Peasy.

Not here but up North a number of years ago TWICE I returned something to Amazon and put it in a UPS drop box (it was the same box location) and BOTH times the package just disappeared. When I started working for a The UPS Store I was told by our regular driver there was a lot of that going on. From that time on I ALWAYS get a drop off receipt when I return ANYTHING or when I send something to an eBay buyer which I can't do handing it to a stranger in a little room.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
I would hope not. If they did they would lose their franchise.
I'm not sure what you mean. I've dropped of many Amazon returns at the UPS store (in Pinellas Plaza and others) for free. I've seen other people dropping off Amazon returns and not being charged. I've always been able to get a receipt so I could track it. Amazon even tells you you can drop off at any UPS store for free.

It's varied over time and depends on what you are returning but in the past I've also had UPS pick up Amazon returns at my house for free too.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,104 Posts

I always get a receipt with a tracking number, and keep it until the package is delivered. Up north, I so mistrusted Verizon FIOS, that I even took a picture of the modem and cable boxes loaded in my car before returning them to the store.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 01-13-2019 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean. I've dropped of many Amazon returns at the UPS store (in Pinellas Plaza and others) for free. I've seen other people dropping off Amazon returns and not being charged. I've always been able to get a receipt so I could track it. Amazon even tells you you can drop off at any UPS store for free.

It's varied over time and depends on what you are returning but in the past I've also had UPS pick up Amazon returns at my house for free too.
What I simply meant was: They have no choice. IF THEY (The UPS Store) DID charge a fee they could lose their franchise. THE MUST accept all dropoffs for UPS at no charge AT THE STORE since they are THE UPS STORE. They are also REQUIRED to accept USPS packages as part of their franchise agreement and also are a DHL partner. . Having spent over 3 years running a The UPS Store for a franchisee I spent many hours with the rules and regs and the DM's. They CAN charge a fee if they choose to accept any other package.

As for Amazon returns via UPS they do not do a home pickup of UPS PACKAGES at NO CHARGE unless the return is for THEIR (Amazon's) error like defective or whatever. Otherwise Amazon charges return shipping fee PLUS a UPS pickup fee of $6 no matter how you return it.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 01-13-2019 at 04:22 PM. Reason: typos
Old 01-13-2019, 04:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I always get a receipt with a tracking number, and keep it until the package is delivered. Up north, I so mistrusted Verizon FIOS, that I even took a picture of the modem and cable boxes loaded in my car before returning them to the store.
Absolutely 100% !!! In fact it's been 2 years and I still have the dropoff receipt and still have the photos of the serial numbers on each FIOS box.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:48 AM

I dropped off a package at the UPS Store in Pinellas and 7 days later it hasn't even been scanned into the system. Manager seemed to busy to even check on it.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeivan View Post
I dropped off a package at the UPS Store in Pinellas and 7 days later it hasn't even been scanned into the system. Manager seemed to busy to even check on it.

If you have the tracking number and a drop off receipt which you get when they take a package (unless you just left it on the counter) you are covered. If you have no proof of dropoff there isn't much they can do just based on "I dropped it off". Even if a package wasn't scanned at the store once it gets in the system it is scanned multiple times. I have seen 2 UPS ENVELOPES get stuck together and travel across the oceans until they finally realize it and scan it and it comes back to the states. As a last resort write to their consumer department which you can find on UPS dot com. They ALWAYS follow up with the individual store management and require some sort of conclusion but without any proof of shipment you'll likely be out of luck. I have learned NEVER drop anything of value in a UPS Dropbox and NEVER leave it without a dropoff receipt.

(Managed a The UPS Store for 3 years a few years ago).
Old 04-24-2019, 01:03 PM

interesting thread, I had the same questionThe Villages Florida
Old 04-24-2019, 01:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,104 Posts

I recently heard that Amazon is going to start allowing you to return their products to a Kohl's store.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
As for Amazon returns via UPS they do not do a home pickup of UPS PACKAGES at NO CHARGE unless the return is for THEIR (Amazon's) error like defective or whatever. Otherwise Amazon charges return shipping fee PLUS a UPS pickup fee of $6 no matter how you return it.
I didn't have this experience when I returned a bra that didn't fit me. I printed out the return label, stuck it on the box, and handed it to the UPS guy when he stopped across the street from my house the next morning. It was a total non-issue.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I didn't have this experience when I returned a bra that didn't fit me. I printed out the return label, stuck it on the box, and handed it to the UPS guy when he stopped across the street from my house the next morning. It was a total non-issue.
Yes, Amazon has recently begun free returns on (most) clothing and for some weird reason they have also included LUGGAGE as clothing. But for most everything else, unless you check "damaged" or "not as described" as reason for return you are charged a shipping charge.

Also requesting a "home pickup" is when you tell them you want UPS to come to you to pick it up, however if you just hand it to a UPS driver you see next door (without requesting a "call tag" pickup) they aren't going to charge you because it is the same as just dropping it in a drop-off box. Edt: that does not apply to damaged item returns.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 04-24-2019 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Yes, Amazon has recently begun free returns on (most) clothing and for some weird reason they have also included LUGGAGE as clothing. But for most everything else, unless you check "damaged" or "not as described" as reason for return you are charged a shipping charge.

Also requesting a "home pickup" is when you tell them you want UPS to come to you to pick it up, however if you just hand it to a UPS driver you see next door (without requesting a "call tag" pickup) they aren't going to charge you because it is the same as just dropping it in a drop-off box. Edt: that does not apply to damaged item returns.
The $6 fee is ONLY for home pickup. Your understanding of the returns policy is flawed. Here's the actual policy:
Quote:
To receive Free Returns on your eligible product(s)
Only product(s) that say they are eligible for Free Returns on the product detail page are eligible for Free Returns.
No minimum purchase is required to receive Free Returns.
Free Returns is available to delivery addresses in the 50 states of the United States only, including Alaska and Hawaii. Free Returns is available to APO/FPO addresses when using a United States zip code only. Additional geographic shipping restrictions may apply to particular products.
If you're not satisfied with your purchase, return the eligible product(s) in new and unworn condition in the original packaging for a full refund in accordance with our returns policy. We do not refund the original shipping fees, however.
All product packaging and certificates of authenticity, grading, and appraisal must be returned with the product. Any product(s) returned without original documentation will be rejected. Any product(s) that have been resized, damaged or otherwise altered after delivery will not be accepted for return.
Eligible product(s) must be returned using a trackable shipping method. Please contact our Customer Service or visit our Online Returns Center and we will guide you through the process. We offer two options to return eligible product(s):
UPS drop off option: You can drop off your return at the authorized UPS location of your choice. There is no charge for this option.
UPS pickup option: UPS will pick up your return at the address of your choice. If you choose the UPS Pickup option and if the return is not a result of our error, you will be charged a convenience fee of $6 for the UPS Pickup.
Amazon will process your return and issue a full refund with no deduction for return shipping after receiving your return of the eligible product(s). If your return is not a result of an Amazon error, we will not refund the original shipping fees. If you return product(s) that are ineligible for free returns with product(s) that are eligible for free returns, Amazon may deduct the shipping costs for the ineligible products(s) from your refund amount in accordance with Amazon's general returns policy. In addition, some special product, order, or handling fees may still apply.
Note the bold at the bottom. The thing about the result of an Amazon error refers specifically to refunding of the original shipping fee, not about any subsequent charge for returning the product. This also means that if you bought more than $25 worth of stuff in a single order, you wouldn't have paid any shipping fee in the first place. So there wouldn't be any loss at all.

Oh and the bra I returned was over two years ago. So no, it's not "recent."
Old 04-25-2019, 05:36 AM
Veteran member

Just saw a commercial on TV that said anything you buy from Amazon can now be returned to Kohls. Sounds weird but that's what it said.
Closed Thread

Tags
box, drop, amazon, return, shipping

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.