Revisit The Turnpike Entrance at 468?

Closed Thread
Old 01-12-2018, 09:03 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts
Default Revisit The Turnpike Entrance at 468?

With all the massive growth now taking place south of 44, what are the odds that Sumter will revisit building a Turnpike entrance/exit at SR 468?
Old 01-12-2018, 09:30 AM

Pretty slim. A few months ago, the whole thing was rolled back. The state really has to do it and they dropped it from their long-range plan and even gave up control of the land (I think).
Old 01-12-2018, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,123 Times in 2,239 Posts

I agree with above, as I recall Wildwood has plans for developing the land that would have been used for the interchange for retail uses.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:01 PM
Sage

There is now NO chance for an interchange at CR468 & the turnpike.

The Villages (not Wildwood) will develop various sites there - regional rec center (northwest quadrant), commercial/retail (northeast quadrant) , residential (southwest and southeast quadrants).

I should add that the current plan appears to be that Buena Vista will eventually extend from CR468 down to CR470, intersecting at a point adjacent to the existing CR470/Turnpike interchange. That will be on the east side of the turnpike.

Of course, CR501 already connects CR468 to CR470, that being on the west side of the turnpike.

Last edited by champion6; 01-12-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:34 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,511 Times in 710 Posts

Something to consider is the location of 468 within the ongoing development; right in the middle. Current plans and announcements have a bridge or two crossing the turnpike, one being significantly farther north on the turnpike, not a very good location if you were coming from Morse Blvd area.

The bridges have been built/upgraded to support a turnpike exit (nice and wide) at 468, without an exit there is no on/off ramps to deal with making it now possible to add a MMP to the bridges. This would be a great addition and convenience to connecting the sections of The Villages together.

I admit this is all speculation but the logic is there and it makes a lot of since for long term growth planning.

I moved to Florida 11 yeas ago to work a project on the Turnpike and the 468 exit was a part of the job so it's was on the books for at least 15 years. It was discussed many times in meeting as to when construction would start, the bridge was always the key in these discussions.

The timing was pretty amazing, finish the bridge, announce Southern Oaks, more land acquired all the way to 301, make plans with Leesburg to extend all the way to 470, now we don't need the exit at 468. Oh now what to do with these new bridges..., it all seems pretty brilliant to me.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
With all the massive growth now taking place south of 44, what are the odds that Sumter will revisit building a Turnpike entrance/exit at SR 468?
Not Sumter's call. The State will determine where to build any turnpike connections...as always.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:57 PM
Sage

Sumter County took action that ended the possibility of an interchange at CR468 and the turnpike. This is part of an article that appeared in the Daily Sun on Dec. 18, 2017:

"Commissioners ratified an agreement that acknowledged the Developer's final payment on a loan through Florida's Infrastructure Bank for the widening of U.S. Highway 301 south of CR 42 in Marion County. The agreement also codified the public-private partnership's decision to forego development of a limited interchange at CR 468 and the turnpike.

"It also releases the Florida Department of Transportation from Sumter County or The Villages from a date-certain improvement of the interchange of U.S. 301 and the turnpike at Wildwood," County Administrator Bradley Arnold told the Daily Sun. "This improvement will be processed as an outcropping of the FDOT's project development and environmental study, which will be concluded in 2018, to widen U.S. 301. So, this amendment will release The Villages from constructing the one-half interchange at CR 468 and the turnpike and acknowledged Sumter County's desire to eliminate the interchange, since the traffic will be better served by the future Buena Vista extension south of SR 44 to CR 470 and the utilization of the existing interchange at CR 470 and the turnpike."

Link to full article: Agreement Clears Path To Extend Buena Vista Boulevard - The Villages Daily Sun: Growth
Old 01-12-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
Sumter County took action that ended the possibility of an interchange at CR468 and the turnpike. This is part of an article that appeared in the Daily Sun on Dec. 18, 2017:

"Commissioners ratified an agreement that acknowledged the Developer's final payment on a loan through Florida's Infrastructure Bank for the widening of U.S. Highway 301 south of CR 42 in Marion County. The agreement also codified the public-private partnership's decision to forego development of a limited interchange at CR 468 and the turnpike.

"It also releases the Florida Department of Transportation from Sumter County or The Villages from a date-certain improvement of the interchange of U.S. 301 and the turnpike at Wildwood," County Administrator Bradley Arnold told the Daily Sun. "This improvement will be processed as an outcropping of the FDOT's project development and environmental study, which will be concluded in 2018, to widen U.S. 301. So, this amendment will release The Villages from constructing the one-half interchange at CR 468 and the turnpike and acknowledged Sumter County's desire to eliminate the interchange, since the traffic will be better served by the future Buena Vista extension south of SR 44 to CR 470 and the utilization of the existing interchange at CR 470 and the turnpike."

Link to full article: Agreement Clears Path To Extend Buena Vista Boulevard - The Villages Daily Sun: Growth
Thanks for the information, always fact, not rumor
Old 01-12-2018, 09:23 PM
Sage

Sumter County and many other entities influence and play a significant role in the process. But FDOT is the final decision maker for Turnpike development. Neither Sumter County nor any other local government can decide to build a Turnpike interchange if the FDOT does not determine it is warranted.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:15 PM
Location: Caroline, Norwalk OH, Federal Way, WA. Stamford, CT. Tuscarora, PA

I don't know how it will be possible with all the development maps showing various amenities where any interchange would be.

It's really surprising. I thought TV would build a "Disney-like" mall off a 468 exit ramp . . . after dressing up the several miles they own along the turnpike with jaw dropping golf courses, landscaping, softball complex, fountains, etc. It could have been a prime attraction that would be profitable in itself, but also get people to turn off the turnpike and get a first glimpse of The Villages and become future homeowners. It just seems like something Gary Morse would have done.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
It's really surprising. I thought TV would build a "Disney-like" mall off a 468 exit ramp . . . after dressing up the several miles they own along the turnpike with jaw dropping golf courses, landscaping, softball complex, fountains, etc. It could have been a prime attraction that would be profitable in itself, but also get people to turn off the turnpike and get a first glimpse of The Villages and become future homeowners. It just seems like something Gary Morse would have done.
that was my thought also
Old 01-13-2018, 08:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
I don't know how it will be possible with all the development maps showing various amenities where any interchange would be.

I think something like this will be done by TV near the existing CR470 exit.

TV is building its way in that direction now. And remember this -- TV quietly bought about 7 square miles of land south of CR470. The 470/turnpike interchange will eventually be in the middle of all this forthcoming development.

My predictions are based on the thought we all had when Brownwood was built: "Why would TV build a town square on the edge of TV?" Well ......
Old 01-14-2018, 12:07 PM
Location: Pennsylvania, new home in the Village of Osceola Hills

Odds of a turnpike exchange at 468 (Morse)? I'd say absolutely zero... Look at the plans submitted, the maps... They report one thing: total TV development. It just makes no business sense to add Turnpike access at one of the BIGGEST "free" advertising spaces for TV in the world: the Turnpike bringing millions of tourists (and potential TV customers) into Central Florida and exciting as they go home. Tens of thousands of visitors every week will slow down to gander and gasp at the homes, golf-courses, ball parks, country-clubs, pools, recreation centers and all the rest...in full view before their eyes! "What is that dear?" "Is that that adult Disneyworld honey?" "Look it up?" "Maybe we can stop by for a peek on the way back home?" "Sure, we can get off at CR 470, the TV ap says there is something called a Town Square there... It's new too, says that the new Town Square is the 'gateway to America's Friendliest Hometown'" "Wow, let's go!"

It's all really fantastic; a brilliant business move that will bring wonderful things to all TV.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:30 AM
Gold member

This is one reason I wouldn't want to buy in that new area right now. Too many unknowns. I have still not seen anything about adding an 18 hole golf course down there. Right now they just have two 9 hole executive courses. Hardly enough for all those homes they have planned.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post
This is one reason I wouldn't want to buy in that new area right now. Too many unknowns. I have still not seen anything about adding an 18 hole golf course down there. Right now they just have two 9 hole executive courses. Hardly enough for all those homes they have planned.
All one has to do is look back at TV track record of developing new areas. They are very consistent in their planning for golf course, recreation, regional recreation and shopping centers.

When we bought our lot in 2003 there was nothing....NOTHING... south of 466....no Arnold Palmer, no Sumter Square....unknowns? Similar to today. End result 14 years hence? Beyond expectation.
Closed Thread

Tags
revisit, turnpike, odds, sumter, entrance/exit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.