Rheem Marathon Water Heater

Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2021, 05:44 PM
Default Rheem Marathon Water Heater

Has anyone replaced their electric hot water heater with a Rheem Marathon? If so, who installed it?

This water heater is an efficient non-metalic electric tank hot water heater. The reason why i'm interested in this specific heater is that it does not need an sacrificial anode rod like conventional metal heaters need to slow corrosion. The benefit is your hot water will not have that rotten egg smell from the magnesium anode rod deteriating from hard water like we have here in the Villages.

I've looked at tankless water heaters but Rheem makes a 40 and a 50 gallon "small" Marathon that is roughly the same size as the Rheem heater installed with the house if yours is located in the garage and should be simple to install.

When i called one of the popular plumbing companies they weren't familiar with this specific unit but would get back to me after doing some research.

Any feedback and or thoughs would be appreciated.
Old 11-16-2021, 06:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,710 Times in 5,240 Posts

I have never experienced the rotten egg smell with any water heater I have owned. Some people on other threads have commented that, when they removed an old anode, it looked like new. I would just buy a regular water heater, and save the money.
Old 11-16-2021, 06:02 PM
Sage

I had one in a previous home. They install just like ordinary electric hot water heaters. If you have the room, they are a good choice as they will last a very long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Has anyone replaced their electric hot water heater with a Rheem Marathon? If so, who installed it?

This water heater is an efficient non-metalic electric tank hot water heater. The reason why i'm interested in this specific heater is that it does not need an sacrificial anode rod like conventional metal heaters need to slow corrosion. The benefit is your hot water will not have that rotten egg smell from the magnesium anode rod deteriating from hard water like we have here in the Villages.

I've looked at tankless water heaters but Rheem makes a 40 and a 50 gallon "small" Marathon that is roughly the same size as the Rheem heater installed with the house if yours is located in the garage and should be simple to install.

When i called one of the popular plumbing companies they weren't familiar with this specific unit but would get back to me after doing some research.

Old 11-16-2021, 07:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:

Truth, I'm no expert but I just looked. Home depo sells them so I expect they have people to install it for you. The ad shows the smallest is 75 gallons and they are electric. Our three bedroom home has a 50 gal electric hot water heater supplied by the builder and we do not run out of hot water. It is ten years old. As far as the anode, i bet few, INCLUDING ME, follow the instructions as far as draining it, checking the anode etc.

As far as rotten egg smell, I have a nose like a dog and I don't smell it. I would guess it is sulfur in your water. Are you on public water or a well? I don't think the anode is the cause. As far a magnesium anode. I'm not sure your have a magnesium anode they were, are sold as an up grade. I think they are usually aluminum. Far less expensive to replace the anode, if that is the problem, with a different material. In terms of a plastic tank, the heating rods are still metal and will be subject to attack-electrolysis.

As far as draining the tank, it is debatable. We have scale etc that settles to the bottom of the tank. When you open the valve stuff can lodge in the valve and it will leak.
Old 11-16-2021, 07:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Truth, I'm no expert but I just looked. Home depo sells them so I expect they have people to install it for you. The ad shows the smallest is 75 gallons and they are electric. Our three bedroom home has a 50 gal electric hot water heater supplied by the builder and we do not run out of hot water. It is ten years old. As far as the anode, i bet few, INCLUDING ME, follow the instructions as far as draining it, checking the anode etc.

As far as rotten egg smell, I have a nose like a dog and I don't smell it. I would guess it is sulfur in your water. Are you on public water or a well? I don't think the anode is the cause. As far a magnesium anode. I'm not sure your have a magnesium anode they were, are sold as an up grade. I think they are usually aluminum. Far less expensive to replace the anode, if that is the problem, with a different material. In terms of a plastic tank, the heating rods are still metal and will be subject to attack-electrolysis.

As far as draining the tank, it is debatable. We have scale etc that settles to the bottom of the tank. When you open the valve stuff can lodge in the valve and it will leak.
I would just point out that the Rheem manual doesn't even recommend draining the water heater, or checking the anode as maintenance procedures.
Old 11-16-2021, 08:33 PM
Sage

They make a variety of sizes starting at 30 gallons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post

Old 11-17-2021, 06:06 AM

I would suggest getting a water softener system then replacing your tank with a tankless hot water heater. You have endless hot water not to mention you'll save money on your electric bill. I noticed a savings right away.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:00 AM

Had a gas powered Rheem in Virginia Beach and loved it. Instant hot water and no smell
Old 11-17-2021, 08:53 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Yes Home Depot sells them in all sizes and they also sell the replacement elements as well. But has anyone used any of the local plumbers? I was really surprised that my local plumber wasn't aware of this heater. My guess is that most people just replace their heater with the same standard unit. Either way the connection is standard just the Marathon is about 7 inches wider but i have space for it just don't have anymore height above 48 inches that the existing unit takes up.

As far as the anode rod, i undestand you can change it but it's not an easy job for the DIY'er and i don't have the height to pull the old rod out unless its totally gone and i would need a segmented rod to put back in. With the Marathon i would just need to change the heating elements and that's pretty easy.

My thoughts on the Marathon besides the anode rod is it's 2x the cost of a conventional heater but the tank will probably last several times more than the conventional heater and no need to do anything but drain it once a year. It's also like a big thermos bottle with foam insulation so over time it will probably be a little cheaper to run.

Last edited by jrref; 11-17-2021 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:17 AM

Electric Hot Water Heater, Yikes
I take it you don’t have natural gas to your house. I thought all of the Villages homes have natural gas????
Old 11-17-2021, 09:27 AM
Default Rheem Water Heaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have never experienced the rotten egg smell with any water heater I have owned. Some people on other threads have commented that, when they removed an old anode, it looked like new. I would just buy a regular water heater, and save the money.
Ive replaced 5 water heaters (elecT) myself over 45 years of home ownership, and there seems to be reduced quality for most brands that I have bought. Warranties seem to get reduced every decade. Try to get one with a warranty greater then 10 years like they use to be., good luck. The last Reheem I bought needed the lower heating element replaced after 3 years. Maybe its better in Florida where the water is generally basic and not acidic as the water in MD is. Be careful if you are thinking of putting a water heater anywhere inside your house, versus the garage incase of leaks. These are important homeowner decisions. Don't have to replace all your flooring because of a kitchen or bathroom leak.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:35 AM

Yes, no gas. Most of the heaters here in the Villages in the designer homes are in the garage. I have a water sensor connected to my smart home system and an automated water shutoff valve so i'm covered in case of a leak. Also, I have a drain from the pan to the outside of my house at the water heater in case of leaks. Not sure how well it would work but at least it's something.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Yes, no gas. Most of the heaters here in the Villages in the designer homes are in the garage. I have a water sensor connected to my smart home system and an automated water shutoff valve so i'm covered in case of a leak. Also, I have a drain from the pan to the outside of my house at the water heater in case of leaks. Not sure how well it would work but at least it's something.
You can buy about 6 or 7 battery operated water alarms from Amazon, and place them under toilets, sinks, water heater, refrigerator, washer, etc. It is not as good as a water sensor with shutoff, but it is an inexpensive way to notify you when there is water on the floor. Peace of mind, for about $100.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:48 PM

Quote:

We had a 50 gallon Marathon installed when our NC house was built 10 years ago. No maintenance, no problems.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalina36 View Post
Electric Hot Water Heater, Yikes
I take it you don’t have natural gas to your house. I thought all of the Villages homes have natural gas????
From what I understand, there are many more homes in T.V. WITHOUT GAS SERVICE than there is with gas service. There seem to be "pockets" or areas with gas service but they are in the minority. I wish ours was but sadly it's not.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Closed Thread

Tags
water, heater, rheem, marathon, hot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.