Rheumatologist

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2022, 03:52 PM
Default Rheumatologist

Looking for a Rheumatologist for my 97 year old mother here in the Villages.
Thanks Donna
Old 01-12-2022, 10:58 AM
Default Rheumatologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhsmith View Post
Thanks Donna
I was just diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthartis at 76 years old and seeing Catherine Sullivan. I have been on different meds including Prednisone and now finally got my chance to go to "Shands Hospital" in Gainsville, Fla. I have also gotten "pain management" clinic as this pain is sometimes unbearable.
If you want to discuss with me my E Mail address is DRIFTER49@AOL.COM
Please put "Rheumatoid" n Subject line so I won't think it's spam
Old 01-13-2022, 08:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhsmith View Post
Thanks Donna
Rheumatologist? Perhaps you should be looking for pain management? In an effort to control opioids, the most effective pain killers, I think they can only write prescriptions for a month supply. You do not say if your mother lives with you and is mobile enough to go to a doctor on a regular basis. Or, if people will be stealing her drugs.
Old 02-06-2022, 03:09 PM

I have recently joined pain management due to fact my Rheumatologist would not write pain relief. Was put on Hydrocodone 5mg every 8 hours and truly saved me from a world of pain. Also after having major issues with reactions to Rheumatoid drugs transferred to Rheumatologist at Shands Hosp in Gainsville. My agony is now over with new Rheumatologist
Old 02-06-2022, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Rheumatologist? Perhaps you should be looking for pain management? In an effort to control opioids, the most effective pain killers, I think they can only write prescriptions for a month supply. You do not say if your mother lives with you and is mobile enough to go to a doctor on a regular basis. Or, if people will be stealing her drugs.
Pain management is important to having a reasonable life with RA, but it's important to remember that pain meds do nothing to address the actual disease, they just cover it up. I self-medicated for years (luckily for me, Ibuprofen did it for me, not opioids) but all the while the actual RA was getting worse and worse). I finally found a doctor that explained all this and got me going with Methotrexate, which actually stopped the damage the RA was doing. Meanwhile, I replaced ibuprofen with CBD oil, and I'm managing things pretty well (28 year after 1st diagnosis). Still have a bad day maybe 1 day a month, but nothing like crawling up/down stairs which is where I was in the beginning. There is hope!
Old 02-06-2022, 06:35 PM
Sage

Best of luck finding someone. I've heard there are a couple in Ocala that are good....but remember if she needs hospitalization ever, with her issues she'd have to go up there. Plus how would she get up there for her app'ts, unless she lives with you. Does she have a primary here?? Maybe start there and that person can help you. I see Dr.Sullivan in the Specialty Clinic but have heard she's not taking new patients. I was diagnosed in 2011 after suffering for a handful of years. I've gone the route with pain management but they do steroid shots and they didn't work long term for me. I'm currently on Methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine. I can't take nsaids so she has me on a muscle relaxant when pain comes along with acetametaphine. I've done the prednisone thing but long term wouldn't want to do it.
Closed Thread

Tags
rheumatologist, year, mother, villages, donna

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.